Coursework - Semester hours or credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bodmon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you convert a Canadian grading system to the US?
We receive credits, either 0.5 or 1.0 with 1.0 being a full year course. I have searched through forums and have not found anything helpful

Members don't see this ad.

I put mine down how they show up on the transcript (half course=3 credits, full course=6 credits). I'm sure they're used to the irregularities of credit systems in Canada.

I put mine down how they show up on the transcript (half course=3 credits, full course=6 credits). I'm sure they're used to the irregularities of credit systems in Canada.
yea you're right thanks, I finally got through to my school's registrar

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i had the same question as a canadian applying. It's really frustrating, i swear they should make a "Canadian FAQ" thread lol

Looks like you guys already resolved this but just an FYI, this is what ADEA said to me through email when I asked about converting Canadian credits/units.

"1.0 COURSE UNIT is equivalent to (6) SEMESTER CREDIT HOURS, 0.25 Course Unit is equivalent to 1.50 SEMESTER HOURS. 0.50 Course Unit is equivalent to 3.00 SEMESTER HOURS. You must convert your units to credit hours before your application can be processed."

^Yup, that's what I figured out too and put down in my application.

1.0 COURSE UNIT is equivalent to (6) SEMESTER CREDIT HOURS, 0.25 Course Unit is equivalent to 1.50 SEMESTER HOURS. 0.50 Course Unit is equivalent to 3.00 SEMESTER HOURS. You must convert your units to credit hours before your application can be processed.

I already submitted... Now I'm scared I'm not going to get proper credit for pre-reqs :scared:

I already submitted... Now I'm scared I'm not going to get proper credit for pre-reqs :scared:
Don't be scared, they receive your official transcripts and can go off of that in the case of incorrect coursework entry

Don't worry! If anything, they'll "un-submit" and have you correct your coursework, and then you can "re-submit" without paying anything extra. It'll cause a delay with processing your app but just make sure as soon as they "un-submit" for you, you make the corrections right away and e-submit again. This happened to a friend and she said it all worked out for her so don't be scared!!

Don't be scared, they receive your official transcripts and can go off of that in the case of incorrect coursework entry

Don't worry! If anything, they'll "un-submit" and have you correct your coursework, and then you can "re-submit" without paying anything extra. It'll cause a delay with processing your app but just make sure as soon as they "un-submit" for you, you make the corrections right away and e-submit again. This happened to a friend and she said it all worked out for her so don't be scared!!

Thanks guys! I almost had a heart attack before. A delay is better than straight rejections!