What should I do in my last semester of college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHscale73

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my last semester of college, and I only need to take a few non-science prerequisites for my degree in biochemistry. The problem is that I am currently waitlisted at two schools, and assuming I do not get in to either schools, should I try to boost my science GPA or should I retake the DAT (or both)? I currently have a 3.32 sGPA and I only have enough hours to take one science class, which would only bump it up to a 3.36 with an A, so would there be any point in taking a class? My stats on the DAT are 19AA (18TS, 18BIO, 17GC, 19OC, 20PAT, 21RC, 21QR). I took the DAT the summer before my junior year and am confident I can improve my science scores, but I just do not want to spend another $500 to take it again if I don't have to. Or should I look into a master's program?

Date of submission: 8/16/23
Overall GPA: 3.52
sGPA: 3.32
DAT: 19AA (18TS, 18BIO, 17GC, 19OC, 20PAT, 21RC, 21QR)
State of residence: MS
Undergrad: University of Mississippi
Major Biochemistry
Minor: Business
Minority: No
Shadowing: 115 hours
Volunteering: Special Olympics - 20 hours, Tutoring in reading for kids - 60 hours, MidSouth Mission of Mercy (dental clinic) - 20 hours, fraternity philanthropy - 50 hours
Research: Sensory properties and microbial compositions of milk and water kefir (not my own research) - 150 hours
Extracurriculars: VP of Spanish for Healthcare Professions club
Employment: Summer camp counselor - 400 hours, CVS store associate - 100 hours
Honors/awards: Dean's list, Chancellor's list

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't think you need to do a masters. A post-bacc with some more science courses could help. Whats your overall GPA?
I think your DAT hurt you slightly since Biochem is a heavy science major and scoring low on all three science sections probably hurt you. A 19AA isn't a killer, but paired with a lower GPA it could make admissions feel like you aren't quite ready to handle dental school curriculum. I'd look into doing some post-bacc credits, DIY would be fine. A DAT retake could also help you out. Think of it this way, retaking and doing significantly better could open you up to your Instate school which would save you about 7-10 additional years of loan repayback and 150-200k less debt. So $500 investment could be worth it. Though I actually think it's closer to 350, 500 is the first-time fee, I believe it's cheaper to take a second time but I could be wrong.

Have you asked schools that you were rejected by what you could improve upon? Have you been in contact with the two schools you've been waitlisted at? Things could still change and there will still be movement until around March, definitely for private schools, and some state schools if you're OOS.

Filling out a full WAMC (re-edit your post) could also help us identify any weaknesses in your app.

I am about to start my last semester of college, and I only need to take a few non-science prerequisites for my degree in biochemistry. The problem is that I am currently waitlisted at two schools, and assuming I do not get in to either schools, should I try to boost my science GPA or should I retake the DAT (or both)? I currently have a 3.32 sGPA and I only have enough hours to take one science class, which would only bump it up to a 3.36 with an A, so would there be any point in taking a class? My stats on the DAT are 19AA (18TS, 18BIO, 17GC, 19OC, 20PAT, 21RC, 21QR). I took the DAT the summer before my junior year and am confident I can improve my science scores, but I just do not want to spend another $500 to take it again if I don't have to. Or should I look into a master's program?
retake DAT...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't think you need to do a masters. A post-bacc with some more science courses could help. Whats your overall GPA?
I think your DAT hurt you slightly since Biochem is a heavy science major and scoring low on all three science sections probably hurt you. A 19AA isn't a killer, but paired with a lower GPA it could make admissions feel like you aren't quite ready to handle dental school curriculum. I'd look into doing some post-bacc credits, DIY would be fine. A DAT retake could also help you out. Think of it this way, retaking and doing significantly better could open you up to your Instate school which would save you about 7-10 additional years of loan repayback and 150-200k less debt. So $500 investment could be worth it. Though I actually think it's closer to 350, 500 is the first-time fee, I believe it's cheaper to take a second time but I could be wrong.

Have you asked schools that you were rejected by what you could improve upon? Have you been in contact with the two schools you've been waitlisted at? Things could still change and there will still be movement until around March, definitely for private schools, and some state schools if you're OOS.

Filling out a full WAMC (re-edit your post) could also help us identify any weaknesses in your app.
Just edited it, thank you.

I am meeting with UMMC next week. I have not reached out to Lincoln Memorial yet since I figured they are still interviewing.

So would it hurt if I did not take any science classes this semester and focused on the DAT?

Last edited:
Where were you waitlisted? Taking postbac classes so help if you reapply. Getting a better DAT will help too. Keep working but trust the process.
I was waitlisted at U of MS medical center and Lincoln Memorial. If I end up not getting in, that is probably what I will do.

Just edited it, thank you.

I am meeting with UMMC next week. I have not reached out to Lincoln Memorial yet since I figured they are still interviewing.

So would it hurt if I did not take any science classes this semester and focused on the DAT?
Think you'd be fine to do that, I'd just make sure you're at least taking a "full-time" schedule of courses. Average at my school was 15, but to be full time was 13 credits. I took 13 credits while studying for the DAT.

Reactions: 1 user