Courtesy Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation. Let's say you haven't heard from a school for an interview, and you get a doctor you shadowed, or a PI, or your boss, an advisor, premed committee member to call said school and pretty much say "look you guys really need to interview this person and here's why...(etc)."

Now let's say said school takes your supporter's suggestion, whether maybe they see something new in your file that supporter explained, or perhaps supporter has connections, is well known, etc. My question is will the school interview you differently? Will they give you an interview based on what the supporter stated or will they treat you just like any other applicant interviewing?

Members don't see this ad.

Hypothetical situation. Let's say you haven't heard from a school for an interview, and you get a doctor you shadowed, or a PI, or your boss, an advisor, premed committee member to call said school and pretty much say "look you guys really need to interview this person and here's why...(etc)."

Now let's say said school takes your supporter's suggestion, whether maybe they see something new in your file that supporter explained, or perhaps supporter has connections, is well known, etc. My question is will the school interview you differently? Will they give you an interview based on what the supporter stated or will they treat you just like any other applicant interviewing?

Probably just like any other applicant. Most schools have a system for evaluating interviewees and making decisions. Changing that system would just be a pain, I would think.

I agree, same treatment, and when deciding an admissions decision they'd probably still review the whole file as they would anyone else

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree... I think that even if you had someone put in a good word for you, the school wouldn't interview you unless they would be willing to seriously consider you as a candidate.

At my school we had a separate procedure for "courtesy interviews." First of all, below a certain GPA/MCAT we wouldn't even give a courtesy interview, but that number was still clearly lower than non-courtesy interview cut-offs. Everyone who came to a courtesy interview was legitimately considered, but they had to out-perform other applicants and really blow us away to be admitted. It's just a guess, but I'd say we offered admission to 1 in 4 of the others we interviewed, and 1 in 8-10 for courtesy interviews. Of course, I'm talking about people we just would not have interviewed without intervention; I wouldn't know how to evaluate someone we would probably have eventually interviewed anyway. Good luck.

Interesting. But I would assume with grades that low, they'd have to blow them away regardless whether it was a courtesy or not. But my question is, will they change the types of questions from what they would normally ask other applicants who get their interviews without intervention? ie would they form a special array of questions based on the intervener's comments or anything like that?

Don't kid yourself connections count. If a big donor even better.

At my school we had a separate procedure for "courtesy interviews." First of all, below a certain GPA/MCAT we wouldn't even give a courtesy interview, but that number was still clearly lower than non-courtesy interview cut-offs. Everyone who came to a courtesy interview was legitimately considered, but they had to out-perform other applicants and really blow us away to be admitted. It's just a guess, but I'd say we offered admission to 1 in 4 of the others we interviewed, and 1 in 8-10 for courtesy interviews. Of course, I'm talking about people we just would not have interviewed without intervention; I wouldn't know how to evaluate someone we would probably have eventually interviewed anyway. Good luck.
:gag:
What kin of things get someone a "courtesy interview?" I'm happy to report I've been doing quite okay with zero connections whatsoever (to give hope to other folks), but what kind of connection would get someone an interview, and eventually an acceptance, to make up for a lack of experience, academic ability, and standardized test scores? Darn you capitalism...

i was flat out rejected from a school pre-interview when one of the people who wrote me an excellent letter of recommendation was on the board of the medical school. it didn't really affect me though because i had only applied there because she told me to. i guess that school didn't believe in courtesy interviews.

What kin of things get someone a "courtesy interview?" I'm happy to report I've been doing quite okay with zero connections whatsoever (to give hope to other folks), but what kind of connection would get someone an interview, and eventually an acceptance, to make up for a lack of experience, academic ability, and standardized test scores? Darn you capitalism...

I guess like if a doc you shadowed or your PI calls a school and is like "look you should really interview this guy, I know on his app he's got ABC but really his strengths XYZ more than make up for it, and I'm willing to stake my professional rep on that."

hmmm, i wonder what school this was. 1 in 4 for acceptances to interviewees seems pretty low (or 1 in 8-10). Even Vandy with their 1000+ interviews accepts 1 in 3. Now I understand why UCSF does totally blind interviews. Everyone who comes in needs to 'wow' them with their life journey and personality. I would really hope that there aren't very many schools who do this 'courtesy interiview' thing and then treat you different.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm, i wonder what school this was. 1 in 4 for acceptances to interviewees seems pretty low (or 1 in 8-10). Even Vandy with their 1000+ interviews accepts 1 in 3. Now I understand why UCSF does totally blind interviews. Everyone who comes in needs to 'wow' them with their life journey and personality. I would really hope that there aren't very many schools who do this 'courtesy interiview' thing and then treat you different.

You mean you're saying that if a person gets an interview based on Dad donating a building, even though they are academically incompetent, they should be treated as on the same level as every other applicant? Wow.:confused:

You mean you're saying that if a person gets an interview based on Dad donating a building, even though they are academically incompetent, they should be treated as on the same level as every other applicant? Wow.:confused:

Academically incompetent people do not get into med school regardless. If someone was passable and their dad donated a building, that might be a different story. Maybe standards would be lower for undergrad, although I know one person whose family couldn't buy him into an Ivy despite doing exactly this.

OK, so Jack Sprat applies to Wanker College of Medicine where the avg gpa is 3.6 and the avg MCAT is 31. The lowest anyone got in with last year was a 3.2 and MCAT of 28. That is not too low to be successful at that school.

He has a 3.4 and an MCAT of 29. His grandfather donated multi-millions to the University. He's going to get an interview although he's below avg. If he is "normal" at the interview (not a lunatic or a misanthrop) he might get an offer even though he's below avg.

Maybe his father is the Dean at another school and a special friend of the Dean of Wanker. No family history of donations. The Dean calls the head of the admissions office and the guy is getting an interview even though he's below avg for that school. Unless the interview is top-rate, I'd think it unlikely that he'd have enough "power" to get an offer.

Maybe his dad is on the faculty of Wanker. Maybe he'll get an interview but unlikely it will affect the natural outcome; he'll need to be fabulous at the interview to get offered admission given his stats.

As I've said before; about 1-2% of offers have some sort of intervention behind them. It is hardly enough to worry about if you aren't one of "special people".

It doesn't really matter if the interview is blind. The adcom is (hopefully) not blind and sees all the data, including if the applicant is special consideration. Also, when I interview, seeing "special consideration" does not impact me, really. If anything I am a little more skeptical of the applicant; it is not as if "special consideration" means "interviews must consist of only softball questions". It would not surprise me if many interviewers did not know they were interviewing special consideration applicants.

A lot of time it will be someone who does research with a prominent person. It can also be a dean, admissions official, or professor. The prominent person will then call or write the school and ask the school to give Applicant X special consideration. It is not always nefarious connections based on privilege.

Okay, so what about the next step? Let's say a qualified applicant gets an interview on his own (no intervention). He interviews and the interview goes well. However, the school he interviews at is very selective. He gets his PI to make a call for him. Does it help get him in?

Okay, so what about the next step? Let's say a qualified applicant gets an interview on his own (no intervention). He interviews and the interview goes well. However, the school he interviews at is very selective. He gets his PI to make a call for him. Does it help get him in?

No. Anything the PI had to say should have gone in a LOR.

Don't kid yourself connections count. If a big donor even better.

Really? Hmm.....might have to make some calls, haha.

Seriously though, I wish I had connections at schools I actually had a shot at. *sigh*

No. Anything the PI had to say should have gone in a LOR.

Okay, sure. So let's say the PI did indeed write a very very strong LOR. You're saying that just having the letter in the applicant's file is the same as having a call made on his behalf? To me, it seems like if someone is willing to call and grovel on an applicant's behalf that says something more about the applicant.

Interesting.

It's not always that simple I think. Perhaps interventions are more for pretty medium applicants getting a second look or that special edge through the people that they have worked for or otherwise know. I would think that this rarely occurs for total *****s, but more with people who are a little below average and would otherwise be overlooked. After all, you would think that a highly respected figure in the med school wouldn't go to the mat for an idiot, and I am sure that this is what the adcom's are banking on too.

OK, so Jack Sprat applies to Wanker College of Medicine where the avg gpa is 3.6 and the avg MCAT is 31. The lowest anyone got in with last year was a 3.2 and MCAT of 28. That is not too low to be successful at that school.

He has a 3.4 and an MCAT of 29. His grandfather donated multi-millions to the University. He's going to get an interview although he's below avg. If he is "normal" at the interview (not a lunatic or a misanthrop) he might get an offer even though he's below avg.

He could have very well gotten an interview regardless. He's 0.2 below the average GPA and 2 points below the average MCAT :confused:

He could have very well gotten an interview regardless. He's 0.2 below the average GPA and 2 points below the average MCAT :confused:

I could choose only those who are above average and fill all my interview slots -- there are that many great applicants. The fact is with"avg" there are very few below average unless they have something special going for them (legacy, or something that is unusual enough to bring something to the table that is very rare among med applicants).

Okay, sure. So let's say the PI did indeed write a very very strong LOR. You're saying that just having the letter in the applicant's file is the same as having a call made on his behalf? To me, it seems like if someone is willing to call and grovel on an applicant's behalf that says something more about the applicant.

Interesting.

It says something about the caller. Why would a PI behave like that. If the PI is well known to the Dean of Admissions (e.g. a tenured professor at that med school) then maybe it wouldn't be too odd. Otherwise, what's up? Is the PI in bed with the applicant? For a PI at one med school to call the admissions office at another school would just be weird.

Do schools give "special consideration" in a similar way to legacy applicants, or is that sort of treatment reserved for folks with strong connections or fat wallets?

LizzyM said:
I could choose only those who are above average and fill all my interview slots -- there are that many great applicants. The fact is with"avg" there are very few below average unless they have something special going for them (legacy, or something that is unusual enough to bring something to the table that is very rare among med applicants).
How does that constitute an average if you admit only people above average? Do you mean average applicant or average for the school?

Do schools give "special consideration" in a similar way to legacy applicants, or is that sort of treatment reserved for folks with strong connections or fat wallets?

Depends on the school. My school has a prescribed way of handling legacy applicants, who get their own form of special consideration.

I know the head(maybe co-head) of Duke Med School admissions(in a family friend sort of way), and she flat out said they give all applicants of Duke Medical School alumni "courtesy" interviews, she never used the word courtesy however, did say they really had to have an amazing interview to get in. It's a good way get in the alumni trough for donations. Makes sense to me, just cause it's medicine doesn't mean it's immune for the natural forces of capitalism. As the saying goes, Money Talks, and Bullsh*t Walks.

I've had a couple interviews, but at schools that are not as highly ranked, nor with such high stats as the school where I happen to be working while I apply. I'm pretty sure I've just recieved a courtesy interview invite, and I was blown away because I didn't think I had the chance to even be considered AT ALL. My stats are below both the average MCAT scores and GPA for the school.

This school is absolutely amazing and it would be a psychadelic dream come true to go! I am a realistic person, but I don't want to feel as though I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to show them what I've got. What can I do to really impress them away at my interview in order to be strongly considered for an offer?

was it a bad idea to bring it up. i want to clarify that i have not gotten into any schools and so i'm concerned that this would be my last chance for this year....