COVID 19 essay??!!! In the ACOMAS primary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I'm on 1 WL and am gearing up for a reapplication, just in case.

I'm reviewing the email the ACOMAS sent to us regarding the " changes" this cycle- and it seems like there is a COVID 19 essay?
Could somebody who has began filling out the application please tell me what this is and if it is optional?

I'm not sure if I'll reapply so I don't want to open a 2020-2021 application just yet. ( Actually, does opening a 2020-2021 primary and filling it out without submitting count as submitting a primary? Like if I do get into my WL school , does it count as having submitted a primary if I never send it in, like, can they see me open it?)

Thanks in advance,
mwsapphire

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure it's optional. It's a space to describe how COVID affected you academically and personally, ie a lot of cancelled MCATs, volunteered activities, family members affected etc
I wrote a short essay regardless. Because of the covid, I gotdrifted into working in the molecular diagnostic lab for COVID samples

I wrote a short essay regardless. Because of the covid, I gotdrifted into working in the molecular diagnostic lab for COVID samples
The thing is not that much changed for me other than losing a month or so in work. It may take me longer to get a second gap year job but thassit.
Now I think its more for letting the admissions ppl know how COVID affected your application if it did, not some kind of personal essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is not that much changed for me other than losing a month or so in work. It may take me longer to get a second gap year job but thassit.
Now I think its more for letting the admissions ppl know how COVID affected your application if it did, not some kind of personal essay.

I would disagree. Above user has shown perseverance getting involved.

BBB9AA47-9438-45B9-AE84-F326AACA7809.png

I would disagree. Above user has shown perseverance getting involved.

View attachment 308984
While that is great, not all of us where able to do that.
My job was as a scribe, and our clinics declined scribes during the pandemic. Everywhere else had a hiring freeze ( unless you already had lots of biotech job experience). I think it's reasonable I wasn't able to do much- most entry lvl jobs shut down.
It would be a bonus if you were able to participate, but If you couldn't there is just no way they could count it against you-none of us could have seen this coming.

I am pretty sure it's optional. It's a space to describe how COVID affected you academically and personally, ie a lot of cancelled MCATs, volunteered activities, family members affected etc

@mwsapphire, yes, it's optional, as the AACOMAS application doesn't have a red asterisk beside that box. I've completed my DO application already and the prompt is below:

1591333390249.png

You have 2500 characters (including spaces) for your response.

Would any people who are already admitted med students or physicians be willing to give me feedback on my answers to this question? Thank you.