Discussing Chiropractic in Essays/Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Axe Apollo

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a decent bit of practical experience with chiro as well as some academic knowledge of OMM, but I see them as almost identical.

Specifically when it comes to biodynamics, the philosophy behind it is heavily spiritual and practically identical to that of the founder of chiropractic albeit with much more concise terminology around cell bio

Personally I'm a bit of a Kool Aid drinker when it comes to osteopathy, and I believe it is one of the missing pieces in treating upper crossed posture, including the "mewing" craze with zoomers that is particularly complemented by biodynamics.

Having said this I wouldn't want to overstep in relating chiropractic to osteopathy, as I know some DOs get triggered at being compared to chiropractors especially since it is a common thread of bullying from MDs

Anyone have experience on how to go about this? The last thing I want in an interview is to come off as arrogant or misinformed but simultaneously I know a lot more about osteopathy than most DO applicants and I have a very strong preference for DO over MD
 
How much experience do you have?

While I would avoid doing the comparison, if you have some experience, the questions will come. How do you plan to answer DO not chiro?
Been receiving regular chiropractic adjustments for years, my current DC does muscle energy and various PT modalities as well. I wouldn't trust myself to do HVLA yet but I understand the theory pretty well and I've read extensively about both chiropractic and omm

The honest truth is that I don't want to do chiropractic because of both money as well as that I don't think I have what it takes to be great at it; I'm better at the academic side of things to the point that I absolutely would attend an allopathic school if I didn't get into my DO schools of choice. I have experience with certain PT modalities as well including formal training. But at the end of the day it's not just about money, I just don't think I have the magic touch when it comes to physical medicine...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a decent bit of practical experience with chiro as well as some academic knowledge of OMM, but I see them as almost identical.

Specifically when it comes to biodynamics, the philosophy behind it is heavily spiritual and practically identical to that of the founder of chiropractic albeit with much more concise terminology around cell bio

Personally I'm a bit of a Kool Aid drinker when it comes to osteopathy, and I believe it is one of the missing pieces in treating upper crossed posture, including the "mewing" craze with zoomers that is particularly complemented by biodynamics.

Having said this I wouldn't want to overstep in relating chiropractic to osteopathy, as I know some DOs get triggered at being compared to chiropractors especially since it is a common thread of bullying from MDs

Anyone have experience on how to go about this? The last thing I want in an interview is to come off as arrogant or misinformed but simultaneously I know a lot more about osteopathy than most DO applicants and I have a very strong preference for DO over MD
This approach would be a good way to torpedo your application at my school.
 
The honest truth is that I don't want to do chiropractic because of both money as well as that I don't think I have what it takes to be great at it
I would politely recommend that you keep this sentiment in a galaxy far far away from any essays or interviews