Covid 19 - How long will it last? How is your school handling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddrizzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any predictions on how it long it may affect the nation?

How is your school handling it? pulled off rotation & online curriculum?

Schools thinking of delaying your graduation/off schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to predict anything with the way this administration functions/reacts? I’m pretty sure most, if not all, pulled their students at this point...Unless there are rotation sites so far from civilization that the migration to and from the area is nonexistent.

My school pulled everyone this week, so I’ll be missing psych (not the end of the world for me as far as getting clinical experience is concerned). That said...if we wind up going back in 2 weeks (the email I got said they’d be reevaluating the situation around early April) I’ll be landing face-first into Family Med and Corona Central. Normally I would buck up and take, but I’ve just learned my immune system is trash from my Pediatrics rotation where I was sick for 3 of the 4 weeks, so I’m honestly torn.

I won’t say a delay is out of the question, but as I understand it DO schools are coordinating with COCA to ensure that’s not necessary.

Is it possible to predict anything with the way this administration functions/reacts? I’m pretty sure most, if not all, pulled their students at this point...Unless there are rotation sites so far from civilization that the migration to and from the area is nonexistent.

My school pulled everyone this week, so I’ll be missing psych (not the end of the world for me as far as getting clinical experience is concerned). That said...if we wind up going back in 2 weeks (the email I got said they’d be reevaluating the situation around early April) I’ll be landing face-first into Family Med and Corona Central. Normally I would buck up and take, but I’ve just learned my immune system is trash from my Pediatrics rotation where I was sick for 3 of the 4 weeks, so I’m honestly torn.

I won’t say a delay is out of the question, but as I understand it DO schools are coordinating with COCA to ensure that’s not necessary.
your immune system is just fine. everyone gets sick during Peds rotations, especially during cold/flu season. All parents get sick a lot for the first year when their kids start daycare. You've just been exposed to a bunch of viral pathogens you're not immune to.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm just curious where people stand in terms of how long this may last for. I don't see it changing anytime within 4-6 weeks and possibly much longer.

I agree with above, I got sick on Peds which I think is SUPER common. Kids don't know how to sneeze/cough/not drool/spit on you so you'll be seeing sick kids who very commonly get others sick.

Didn't hear any news about the COCA collaboration but I'm sure most schools are in chaos with graduation and the sudden change in curriculum.

your immune system is just fine. everyone gets sick during Peds rotations, especially during cold/flu season. All parents get sick a lot for the first year when their kids start daycare. You've just been exposed to a bunch of viral pathogens you're not immune to.

Haha I’m kidding (mostly) because my two colleagues I was with came out completely unscathed, so they like to joke I was their virus trap.

I agree with above, I got sick on Peds which I think is SUPER common. Kids don't know how to sneeze/cough/not drool/spit on you so you'll be seeing sick kids who very commonly get others sick.

I’m sure it didn’t help that the first kid I asked to say “AHHH” coughed directly into my face day one.

Yeah I still haven’t gotten any online curriculum, I think if was just up to my school I would’ve already gotten a few dozen garbage Aquifer modules.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Prediction: getting much much worse towards end of April, curve flattens in May, improvement in June.

Current M4, my school pulled everyone from clinical duty, starting online next week for elective credit.

They’re insisting M4’s will graduate on time for most part, but have added a secondary graduation date in June for those not finished with required rotations or scheduled to be done by initial May graduation date.

Delay more than June? Not happening for my M4 class -we matched... we outta here!

Any update as of today as for rotations? We are told we might be in for a online "rotations" until end of July and possibly even further. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. I don't mind extra studying time saved by not traveling to rotation, but I'm worried it might affect our clinical experience knowledge. I'm MS3 and I'm just worried about upcoming step2.
Also, how is your school handling evaluation forms with online curriculum?

Any update as of today as for rotations? We are told we might be in for a online "rotations" until end of July and possibly even further. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. I don't mind extra studying time saved by not traveling to rotation, but I'm worried it might affect our clinical experience knowledge. I'm MS3 and I'm just worried about upcoming step2.
Also, how is your school handling evaluation forms with online curriculum?

Last we heard from our school is rotations are suspended through the end of 3rd year, end of May, and plans are to forge on with 4th year rotations in late June/July following Step 2/Level 2. I can see this changing, but realistically I can't personally see all of our 4th year rotations being online through July, August etc or else we're in jeopardy of being woefully under prepared for residency and potentially not graduating on time.

No mention to how it'll effect our evaluations for the MSPE. I'd imagine if you're applying to a field where you missed your rotation it'll have a bigger impact than a core rotation that you're not interested in. Here's hoping aways aren't universally cancelled...

Reactions: 3 users
Last we heard from our school is rotations are suspended through the end of 3rd year, end of May, and plans are to forge on with 4th year rotations in late June/July following Step 2/Level 2. I can see this changing, but realistically I can't personally see all of our 4th year rotations being online through July, August etc or else we're in jeopardy of being woefully under prepared for residency and potentially not graduating on time.

No mention to how it'll effect our evaluations for the MSPE. I'd imagine if you're applying to a field where you missed your rotation it'll have a bigger impact than a core rotation that you're not interested in. Here's hoping aways aren't universally cancelled...

Out of curiosity, how can M4 rotations possibly go into July? That's when residencies start?

I'm thinking - hoping - things will begin to normalize in May. If any of these "peak predators" for COVID are correct, most states should be at their peak this month with a gradual comedown through May, leading to June where I think away rotations for most states - I think - will be allowed. Some states have already hit their - theoretical - peak, & several states has begun to show a decrease in the number of new cases per day.

Anecdotal news, but good news: my first away rotations are here in Missouri - whose peak is predicted to be in June for whatever reason - at a university program in the area for the months of June & July. They allowed me the luxury of choosing whatever months I wanted while I was on the phone with them & I specifically asked when the safest - earliest - months were I could schedule my rotations, since it is at an institution I would like to match at, & they said they fully expected to have students rotating in June.

I think if university programs here in Missouri are expecting to have students in their hospitals in June it is a good sign for the majority of the country whose peaks are predicted to be earlier than that of Missouris (according to the website I've been keeping an eye on.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm thinking - hoping - things will begin to normalize in May. If any of these "peak predators" for COVID are correct, most states should be at their peak this month with a gradual comedown through May, leading to June where I think away rotations for most states - I think - will be allowed. Some states have already hit their - theoretical - peak, & several states has begun to show a decrease in the number of new cases per day.

Anecdotal news, but good news: my first away rotations are here in Missouri - whose peak is predicted to be in June for whatever reason - at a university program in the area for the months of June & July. They allowed me the luxury of choosing whatever months I wanted while I was on the phone with them & I specifically asked when the safest - earliest - months were I could schedule my rotations, since it is at an institution I would like to match at, & they said they fully expected to have students rotating in June.

I think if university programs here in Missouri are expecting to have students in their hospitals in June it is a good sign for the majority of the country whose peaks are predicted to be earlier than that of Missouris (according to the website I've been keeping an eye on.)
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE be the case :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Graduations declared to be delayed but possible no graduation at all. They planned to start classes on September 2020 but not that 100% sure because no one knows the situation soon