EM Auditions amit COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryder78

Reaction score
Hi all!

Unsure if this was posted somewhere else, but I was unable to find any discussion on it. Seeking advice on how to go about obtaining EM auditions in light of COVID-19. I believe it was CORD who issued a statement encouraging PD to be lenient on the SLOEs obtained by medical students, understanding that it will likely be more difficult for students to obtain SLOEs as a lot of programs are shutting doors to visiting students.

That being said before all of this started I was fortunate enough to have two auditions set up, however I was saving two other slots for programs I was more interested in that had not opened their application cycles yet.

With the new recommendations set in place and the likely difficulty students will face obtaining SLOEs do you think it would be viewed poorly to still apply for the two additional auditions I really want? I could just cancel the other two auditions I already have set up, but am interested in the programs and fear that I would burn bridges by canceling.

Members don't see this ad.

This will sound selfish but as a fellow EM applicant who doesn't have a single away secured and has heard nothing but crickets from all the programs I applied to, I'd leave the scraps of whatever sites are actually still accepting students for the rest of us.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, in a non COVID application cycle, when are you supposed to hear from the away sites? Still radio silence on all my aways

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got turned down from a school a few days ago. Granted, it wasn't anywhere near my top choice but it still hurts. This sucks for all of us and for us with average stats it's even more frightening

Reactions: 1 user
I got turned down from a school a few days ago. Granted, it wasn't anywhere near my top choice but it still hurts. This sucks for all of us and for us with average stats it's even more frightening
Off topic, but what are average stats for EM? Random q. Not going into EM, just curious.

Off topic, but what are average stats for EM? Random q. Not going into EM, just curious.
What I have heard:
220 is a cutoff for a lot of programs, in terms of STEP1

SLOEs > STEP1/2 > everything else

Reactions: 1 users
I'm on my first day of EM audition. Was informed that per hospital policy due to COVID19, med students are not to intubate, place chest tubes, or drain oral abscesses. So that's interesting.

I'm on my first day of EM audition. Was informed that per hospital policy due to COVID19, med students are not to intubate, place chest tubes, or drain oral abscesses. So that's interesting.

That absoultely sucks! Hope you get to see and experience some other cool things during your audtion.

For anyone interested in EM, Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton, CA (San Bernardino County Hospital) is accepting audition/Sub-I rotations for 4th year medical students. We are a 4 year ACGME program. Level II trauma center with high volume. Students are starting back on rotations in July 2020. We are on VSAS. Website: armcemergency.org

Hi,
I'm the EM PD at Orange Park (FL). We are setting up (believe first group starts in early July) a 'virtual rotation' to help students get a better sense of our program / programs like ours since so many won't know what a 'community' program is like. It will also help give some focused curriculum in EM since you wouldn't be getting the typical 2-4 months of EM associated 4th year time.

While it certainly isn't the same as being able to see us in person as an audition, its something we are trying to help in light of the situation. Its a mix of participating real-time but virtually in our didactics, doing an online curriculum in EM and US, interacting with our residents / faculty / leadership, etc...

If your interested I have one of my APDs ([email protected]) focusing on it since its so intensive to start up something new like that. I'm sure there will be kinks, but it should give you something to go off of, and will give you a curriculum in EM and US to work on so you can shine on the next rotation. We have it planned for a traditional LOR instead of a SLOE. For someone without a 'home' EM program we are still taking people for that as well, but of note, that is intended for someone without a program to rotate / explore in as we are trying to follow the current recommendations of organizations as well.

Feel free to contact her or me ([email protected]) about any questions.
Thanks

I was speaking with the GME office where I'm doing my EM sub-I and they mentioned they had several audition cancellations due to the EM consensus recommendations regarding aways and now have several openings for EM auditions (SLOE opportunities). UPMC Hamot is a 3 year EM residency program located at a Level 2 trauma center. They asked me to help spread the word that they have openings for EM auditions.
The program is at UPMC Hamot in Erie, PA. The contact if you're interested is Annmarie Kutz [email protected]
-Good luck

"Are you an M4 interested in EM and still looking for an away rotation? We are officially accepting students who don't have a home EM rotation to rotate at UICOMP. Visit http://ow.ly/G1B230qTsYL to learn more and apply today!"

I'm somewhat biased toward UICOMP; it's where I went for residency. They posted the above notification on facebook yesterday. I highly recommend checking it out both as a place to do a rotation and as a place to go for residency.

Hi All. We are a brand new EM residency program in Modesto California, Sponsored by Kaiser Permanente. We have open spots for M4 sub-Is in EM, albeit with some geographical (Northern California) restrictions. Please reach out if interested. [email protected] or [email protected].