Covid 19 Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATHigh9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we think there will be more applicants or less applicants this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

More initial applicants since many haven't taken the MCAT yet and schools are willing to look at applicants without it... However, come later in the cycle you will likely see many drop

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is that? I am so curious. Also how are people able to apply with no MCAT or lack there off or no ability to take classes as much as Non traditional students.

Why is that? I am so curious. Also how are people able to apply with no MCAT or lack there off or no ability to take classes as much as Non traditional students.
I think it's when people realize it's a sink or swim world. If you lose your job you might as well start studying for a field that is known for it's stability and high salary.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's when people realize it's a sink or swim world. If you lose your job you might as well start studying for a field that is known for it's stability and high salary.
I think the only caveat here for this specific cycle is that all these johnny-come-latelys who decide at the last moment "gee the economy sucks, maybe I should be a doctor" didn't have all that much time to prep considering the economy went belly-up in March essentially in the blink of an eye. People who were really serious about applying would have been well prepared by then to do so. Now, if there were an uptick in apps during sustained periods of economic turmoil (e.g. 2008-2011) that would be a different story.

So, to clarify, it is expected that there will be more primary applications, but they will bottom out when it comes time for secondaries?

So, to clarify, it is expected that there will be more primary applications, but they will bottom out when it comes time for secondaries?
I suspect that's the most likely case. FWIW it is my understanding that my undergrad's pre-health committee has sent out fewer committee letters than usual this year due to students pulling out, deciding on taking another gap year, etc.

With the increase in applications, do you guys know if the GPAs and MCATs of the applicant pools have increased, or is it simply just more people applying?

With the increase in applications, do you guys know if the GPAs and MCATs of the applicant pools have increased, or is it simply just more people applying?
You will now be competing with the person that got a 4.0 from lazy school that would normally be weeded out and sent to the Caribbean for getting a 12th percentile MCAT. I suspect this thing will be ridiculous for you guys

You will now be competing with the person that got a 4.0 from lazy school that would normally be weeded out and sent to the Caribbean for getting a 12th percentile MCAT. I suspect this thing will be ridiculous for you guys
Yeah hopefully they still favor those with MCATs

Yeah hopefully they still favor those with MCATs
I think it's a double edged sword. If you have over the 70th percentile, I think your application will be boosted, but if you fall below it or have multiple attempts, it can only hurt you. If I were to be in admissions, I would request that no MCAT be a part of the file as it would create a bias between those that took it and those that didn't, so I would not be surprised if MCAT is not seen at all for some institutions or interviewers

I don't think many schools are following through with the no-MCAT acceptance though. I would say people still need a decent MCAT to have shot.

Reactions: 1 users
Your question is worded a bit weird.
With more applications, there are more people in any given stat range. IE more people with 3.7+ 510+. So yes, that would make more people applying a more competitive cycle, assuming they didn't just slack off their ECs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your question is worded a bit weird.
With more applications, there are more people in any given stat range. IE more people with 3.7+ 510+. So yes, that would more people applying a more competitive cycle, assuming they didn't just slack off their ECs.
Well I'm saying it's possible that the increase in apps is due to people suddenly wanting to change their career or people who decided to apply because they don't need an mcat score, and not necessarily because more people with high stats are applying. Although I can see that there could be more high statters this cycle as well

I think it's a double edged sword. If you have over the 70th percentile, I think your application will be boosted, but if you fall below it or have multiple attempts, it can only hurt you. If I were to be in admissions, I would request that no MCAT be a part of the file as it would create a bias between those that took it and those that didn't, so I would not be surprised if MCAT is not seen at all for some institutions or interviewers
as far as my research has shown (I could be wrong though) it sounds like the LARGE MAJORITY of schools will be looking for a valid MCAT, and will not waste time if an applicant does not have one.

as far as my research has shown (I could be wrong though) it sounds like the LARGE MAJORITY of schools will be looking for a valid MCAT, and will not waste time if an applicant does not have one.
Agreed. I believe every single one of the schools I have applied to has said an MCAT is required either for acceptance, interview or even just to have the file reviewed. There may be a few outliers but I think they are few and far between.

Agreed. I believe every single one of the schools I have applied to has said an MCAT is required either for acceptance, interview or even just to have the file reviewed. There may be a few outliers but I think they are few and far between.
That's good to hear. If that's the case, then some of you will have a better chance to get in due to decreased competition. I bet some people will have to sit out a year just to retake the MCAT

True. I wonder if schools will extend scores from previous years.