Covid-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMad123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read online not to mention Covid-19 in personal statement as everyone is affected by it some way or the other. As a caregiver I helped people who tested positive by taking care of their personal needs. Can I write this in my personal statement or should I mention it only in Secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

At least this cycle AACOMAS had a spot within the application to write about how Covid affected your life and journey to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read online not to mention Covid-19 in personal statement as everyone is affected by it some way or the other. As a caregiver I helped people who tested positive by taking care of their personal needs. Can I write this in my personal statement or should I mention it only in Secondaries?
Write about it. There's no rule about not writing about COVID

Reactions: 1 user
You shouldn't write about the pandemic in general terms or about how it negatively affected you/your family, since it would be an overdone topic; everyone has been negatively affected by the pandemic in one way or another. But if you played a role in helping people affected by COVID-19 and your experiences inspired you to pursue medicine, then you absolutely should write about that.

Reactions: 3 users
Personally, I talked a whole lot in my primary statement and experiences about working as a phlebotomist in a hospital through Delta and how traumatizing it was and also reassuring me to pursue medicine. I probably talked more about COVID (usually pertaining to my job but also as the topic of my senior thesis) than any other single thing on my application for my essays and in my interviews.. So far it's worked for me as I got a handful of acceptances this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users