Covid-19 pay cut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fred1882

Reaction score
My employee has asked me to take a 50% base pay cut for an initial 6 weeks but possibly longer due to the loss in revenue as the result of the pandemic. Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this.

Members don't see this ad.

Word is a lot of people are in a worse boat, even getting laid off or furloughed w/o any pay at all

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My hospital has furloughed a lot of nurses and physicians just to keep the doors open. You still have a gig. It really sucks for new graduates who had a job but their contract got rescinded. Good luck even finding a job if you don’t have one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

It’s a shame our degrees are not more versatile. Most other providers at least have the option of accepting one the highly paid temp relief positions being floated around for LPN, RN, MD, DO

In a perfect world, Pod residencies would include 1/3 PCP requirement and DPMs also practicing as full scope PCPs. Seats would become a lot more competitive, it’d be way easier to float your own practice, large public need served. I’m surprised no one slipped legislation into one of the COVID bills. Maybe a missed opportunity.

The APMA did send out a letter asking the Governor's to lift scope-of-practice regulations during this pandemic.
I agree though in need of something more legislative and not just for certain situations like the current one, but maybe California will lead the way in the future.

My hospital has furloughed a lot of nurses and physicians

Seriously, what’s the point of doing that when they are the ones who are working relentlessly and saving people’s lives in this pandemic?

Seriously, what’s the point of doing that when they are the ones who are working relentlessly and saving people’s lives in this pandemic?

ERs are actually very slow minus select areas (social distancing is working, people also afraid to go to ER right now).

There are a lot of ER docs complaining of losing their jobs or significant hour reduction on other blogs (white coat investor most notably).

Hospital inpatient load very low minus select areas

Radiologists, opthamologists, dermatologists, orthopedists, podiatrists, etc, etc are very slow without elective procedures.

Its hard to pay a doctor salary to someone seeing minimal patients and/or doing minimal cases.

Im still employed but I see a reduction coming in the near future. They cant pay my salary and be profitable at this rate.

Reactions: 3 users
Hospitals are being slaughtered due to the loss of elective surgery - its the most profitable thing they do. The Washingtonpost has a story about a hospital system in Michigan - called Beaumont I believe. The system historically ran a 16 million dollar operating profit monthly (won't fight over the exact words ie. net and what - they were financially solid). Apparently with the loss of elective surgery + the new costs to try and add ICU/negative pressure rooms they are projecting losses in that system of $100 million dollars a month. Read the other forums on here - no one else knows what to do. Derm, pain, etc - its all bad.

Reactions: 4 users
This has impacted almost every medical specialty, even those you think would be crucial. My friend is a fellowship trained surgeon who specializes in endoscopic and laparoscopic surgery. He was basically told to stay home and if he’s needed for an ER case they will call. A very large (over 150 doctors) ortho group furloughed most of it’s doctors. A large radiology group furloughed all non partners.

Reactions: 1 users
I've taken a pay cut of around 25% at this point. We're all feeling pain in some way

The crazy thing about the furloughs and pay cuts is that the physicians at some hospitals in my area all lawyered up to fight this because they feel the hospital will not reimburse them for the lost monies. Even after the hospitals get money back from the government bailout (which is coming at least in my state). They were worried the hospital would keep the bailout monies for themselves to remove and any previous debt before COVID-19. The combination of the bailout monies and the monies they didn’t spend on salaries for possibly 1-2 months would allow them to do that. Something to think about.

ERs are actually very slow minus select areas (social distancing is working, people also afraid to go to ER right now).

There are a lot of ER docs complaining of losing their jobs or significant hour reduction on other blogs (white coat investor most notably).

Hospital inpatient load very low minus select areas

Radiologists, opthamologists, dermatologists, orthopedists, podiatrists, etc, etc are very slow without elective procedures.

Its hard to pay a doctor salary to someone seeing minimal patients and/or doing minimal cases.

Im still employed but I see a reduction coming in the near future. They cant pay my salary and be profitable at this rate.
Its funny to see ER twitter talk about how they don't have anyone coming in now for "stomach pain" or "chest pain" almost like it was a joke to begin with...

I wonder how this is different for non-profit hospitals vs for profit. My hospital system is non-profit. I am still being paid my full salary and haven't heard anything about furloughs within the system. Obviously things can change and I am getting myself in a position to be ready for change.

Also this is why people (white coat investor) talk about having 6 months of cash reserves instead of that new BMW coming out of residency.

And yes, the vast vast majority of ERs and hospitals are slow. Of course stupid consipracy people are showing up saying look see this is all made up nothing is going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how this is different for non-profit hospitals vs for profit. My hospital system is non-profit. I am still being paid my full salary and haven't heard anything about furloughs within the system. Obviously things can change and I am getting myself in a position to be ready for change.

Same. The system just started to furlough some non-provider staff last week. Our newest MA was furloughed. Not talk of provider furloughs/salary reductions yet, though.

This thread reminds me of the following from the Simpsons, i.e. every field is affected by COVID!!!

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.31.49 PM.png

Could have sworn they posted for a hospital employed position about a year ago. Can't be that anti-podiatry unless the podiatrist position was just for diabetic routine footcare only
Yeah it was just diabetic stuff

Google search shows Mayo hires about 15 DPMs at various Mayo Clinics specializing in foot/ankle surgery.
1 NP who does podiatric wound care.

Well I can tell you it was surely lifted for DPM residents like myself. I’ve spent the last few weeks starting/stopping Azithromycin + Hydroxychloroquine and Ceftazidime (for the pneumonia), up/downgrading non-rebreather mask vs nasal canula after interpretation O2 consumption, admitting pneumonia directly from ED including CXR interpretation and full care plan, adjusting ventilators, running codes which included multiple patient expirations all while having no more supervision than the IM or Anesthesiology resident

yeah that’s residency all the time, regardless of covid

Reactions: 1 users
Well I can tell you it was surely lifted for DPM residents like myself. I’ve spent the last few weeks starting/stopping Azithromycin + Hydroxychloroquine and Ceftazidime (for the pneumonia), up/downgrading non-rebreather mask vs nasal canula after interpretation O2 consumption, admitting pneumonia directly from ED including CXR interpretation and full care plan, adjusting ventilators, running codes which included multiple patient expirations all while having no more supervision than the IM or Anesthesiology resident

Hard pass on that one

Reactions: 2 users
Google search shows Mayo hires about 15 DPMs at various Mayo Clinics specializing in foot/ankle surgery.
1 NP who does podiatric wound care.
It's much easier to reply with what you feel and want to be the truth instead of what the facts are. Where have we seen this before ...

yeah that’s residency all the time, regardless of covid
Yeah that is the literal complete opposite of my residency. And most I assume. Unless you went to the Harvard of Podiatry Residencies like @dtrack22

I never did a single one of those things. Both in residency and now in multiple years an attending. Also those skills and knowledge have been required of me approximately 0 times since being an attending. You know what has been required of me? Understanding biomechanics and anatomy of a flatfoot and what is the correct procedure choice. In theory that is what I focused on in residency

I never did a single one of those things. Both in residency and now in multiple years an attending. Also those skills and knowledge have been required of me approximately 0 times since being an attending. You know what has been required of me? Understanding biomechanics and anatomy of a flatfoot and what is the correct procedure choice. In theory that is what I focused on in residency

The anesthesia rotation was really tough for me because 50% of the time I inserted the ET tube into the esophagus.

Yeah that is the literal complete opposite of my residency. And most I assume. Unless you went to the Harvard of Podiatry Residencies like @dtrack22

He didn’t do any of that either. They had like 5 off service rotations and the rest was foot and ankle surgery. I’m not sure why he’s commenting

He didn’t do any of that either. They had like 5 off service rotations and the rest was foot and ankle surgery. I’m not sure why he’s commenting

had to treat pneumonia, admit people for DKA, CHF and COPD exacerbation, etc. on internal medicine. Placed chest tubes and managed patients peri-operatively on gen surg. Was expected to function like any other resident during the ED rotation. Had to talk to crazy people and give report during inpatient psych rotation. Vascular was easy and I think I intubated someone when I hung out with anesthesia one day. Though I certainly did not have the robust medical training of, let’s say, someone who trained at Swedish. Or someone who graduated from the Western University College of Podiatric Medicine

We had bare minimum off service rotations which is great because almost none of us will even be primary on our own surgical patients ever again, let alone treat real medical issues in an inpatient setting. But most every program in the country had off service rotations where you had to function like any other resident. Even programs that are as “cut and run” as air buds, like PSL, have medicine rotations where you have to do that crap.

Reactions: 3 users
had to treat pneumonia, admit people for DKA, CHF and COPD exacerbation, etc. on internal medicine. Placed chest tubes and managed patients peri-operatively on gen surg. Was expected to function like any other resident during the ED rotation. Had to talk to crazy people and give report during inpatient psych rotation. Vascular was easy and I think I intubated someone when I hung out with anesthesia one day. Though I certainly did not have the robust medical training of, let’s say, someone who trained at Swedish. Or someone who graduated from the Western University College of Podiatric Medicine

We had bare minimum off service rotations which is great because almost none of us will even be primary on our own surgical patients ever again, let alone treat real medical issues in an inpatient setting. But most every program in the country had off service rotations where you had to function like any other resident. Even programs that are as “cut and run” as air buds, like PSL, have medicine rotations where you have to do that crap.
cut and run? thats being a little too generous...

retract and run?
No there was cutting involved. Maybe cut and run was accurate. Cut early morning, run home back to bed because screw optional clinic

Air bud didn’t even have to show up to his cases if he didn’t want to. Gotta love the spectrum of podiatry residency training

I had to show up to cases, I just got to choose which cases to show up to. Hungover? Let's go with the noon hammertoe instead of the 530 am charcot recon.

Yes I sometimes planned my surgery schedule around my social schedule. Those were the days. I miss 1pm movies on a Tuesday at an empty theater instead of clinic. Although I could do the same thing now if there were 1pm movies showing.

Great! As soon as your done with residency I have some fungal nails you can trim. Dont worry it's also a high stress environment because if I miss a corner of the nail, the old hag I'm working on will heckle me incessantly. I know I'm a critical component of health care because that same old hag with COPD, asthma, DM, and HTN is still willing to go out in the most severe pandemic in 100 years to have me bust those crusties!!

Reactions: 2 users
Reading back over it, that last post may have come across a bit more bitter than intended. On a serious note, thanks for helping out in this time of need.

I had to show up to cases, I just got to choose which cases to show up to. Hungover? Let's go with the noon hammertoe instead of the 530 am charcot recon.

Yes I sometimes planned my surgery schedule around my social schedule. Those were the days. I miss 1pm movies on a Tuesday at an empty theater instead of clinic. Although I could do the same thing now if there were 1pm movies showing.

:rolleyes:

Reading back over it, that last post may have come across a bit more bitter than intended. On a serious note, thanks for helping out in this time of need.
No I think that is spot on

No I think that is spot on

It's not. We should give respect/gratitude to those on the frontline, irrespective of the field. They are risking their lives (and their families) by just being in the hospital with COVID patients. Those of us who are sitting at home (like me), should at least, be empathic towards them.

If anyone still does not how severe this pandemic is..just look at what is happening with the city hospitals in NYC.

It's not. We should give respect/gratitude to those on the frontline, irrespective of the field. They are risking their lives (and their families) by just being in the hospital with COVID patients. Those of us who are sitting at home (like me), should at least, be empathic towards them.

If anyone still does not how severe this pandemic is..just look at what is happening with the city hospitals in NYC.

I meant it in terms what your job responsibility will be as a podiatrist when you graduate, not the responsibilities of other providers today

I am employed at a company that services NHs and had a guaranteed salary. But once NHs started cancelling visits they took that away, told me to file for unemployment. Max unemployment in my state for a week is less than i made in a day. Hope this doesnt last too long! Stay safe and sane y’all!

I work for a rural hospital I took a 50% furlough for the month of May but I’m going back full time in June. If this continues then I will take a 20% salary cut and stay full time.