COVID Bonuses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much have you gotten from your residency hospital for working during COVID? My residency hospital gave us an extra 2500 dollars.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My salary is likely to go down if I don't make up the missing RVUs by the end of my contract year. This decrease would stay in effect for a full year before being reassessed. But all employees are supposedly getting a $200 gift card, so, great?

How much have you gotten from your residency hospital for working during COVID? My residency hospital gave us an extra 2500 dollars.
Your attendings are likely getting pay cuts, so I'm not sure I'd go either crowing or complaining about this in the workroom.

Reactions: 7 users
Your attendings are likely getting pay cuts, so I'm not sure I'd go either crowing or complaining about this in the workroom.
Im in psych. Ive very cool with my attendings. My supervising attending told me they are not getting their pay cut. I dont know about other specialties though.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Ortho resident - zero dollars and they took away our retirement account match for my final year as a resident. Woohoo.

$300 one-time stipend in April sent to everyone with patient care activities. They did give all employees a % discount in the cafeteria and for a brief time didn't charge us for parking... it was glorious while it lasted.

Now attendings are likely getting pay cuts (unclear how much yet), we aren't getting the typical COL increase in salaries residents usually get annually (there's a freeze on raises across the board), and a hiring freeze is in place. They have never given us retirement matching options, but we were trying to negotiate it because we are literally the only employees that don't get it (even pharmacy and dental residents get matching benefits), so that's clearly dead in the water now.

Im in psych. Ive very cool with my attendings. My supervising attending told me they are not getting their pay cut. I dont know about other specialties though.

I mentioned this in another thread, but a friend from med school doing psych is taking a 23% cut despite keeping her entire RVU output. She's basically subsidizing the surgeons who aren't working.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, the admins should be taking a pay cut.
I mentioned this in another thread, but a friend from med school doing psych is taking a 23% cut despite keeping her entire RVU output. She's basically subsidizing the surgeons who aren't working.
My hospital has a hard time recruiting psychiatrists as is and have had to hire locums in the past. Administering pay cuts to the existing full time psychiatrists would be a very bad decision at this point.

Last edited:
My academic medical center imposed an across the board pay cut for non-union employees of 18% after the first $50K of salary. The leadership (Dept. Chairs and above) are taking cuts of 25-50% (Dean, Provost, President at the high end).

Honestly, the admins should be ta
My hospital has a hard time recruiting psychiatrists as is and have had to hire locums in the past. Administering pay cuts to the existing full time psychiatrists would be a very bad decision at this point.

No idea on the admins' pay, but technically her employer is the independent physicians group and not the hospital system itself, which complicates things. Unfortunately a case where everyone looking out for their own interest is a zero sum game.

Staff - Essential Attending (Trauma/SICU/ICU/MTF/ED/ID) - rumors because no one talks but I've heard it's at least 50% increase
Nursing - 125-150/hr
Residents (Essential) - 50-75% increase
No pay cuts.
Realize this is dependent on location.
My location (and a couple others in my state) were dealing with the worst of the pandemic and the hours/stress/patient load was ridiculous.

Staff - Essential Attending (Trauma/SICU/ICU/MTF/ED/ID) - rumors because no one talks but I've heard it's at least 50% increase
Nursing - 125-150/hr
No pay cuts.
My location (and a couple others in my state) were dealing with the worst of the pandemic and the hours/stress/patient load was ridiculous.
Wow. That pay is still going on?

Wow. That pay is still going on?

It's being re-evaluated on a bi-weekly basis. It was going to be stopped mid June but.....gestures vaguely...look what's happening.
I'll just say that things are a lot more calm and I don't think anyone would be disappointed if it were stopped now.
But that's not to say we won't be seeing more. Last pay cycle included the pay but we'll see.
Again; this wasn't fun. We appreciated that they gave us this.

Good news? I have money to pay a therapist for all the ptsd! :rofl:/sarcasm

Nursing - 125-150/hr
No pay cuts.

Hey Kaus, long time no see!

What's new? Got any borderlands 3 played?

I was excited but never bought it...I heard the writing wasn't like BL 2. It's on sale now and I should just get it. lol

Nothing. Even those redeployed to medicine (from psych).
We did get free coffee for a little while.