COVID Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pssowers34

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a freshman in college seeking to become a pediatrician. As I'm sure everyone knows, clinical experience with patient interaction is quite difficult to find right now due to COVID. Even companies that say on their websites that they allow direct patient contact have told me AFTER I've applied that they are currently not allowing patient interaction.

I don't need non-clinical volunteer hours or work experience... I should have hundreds of hours of both if I continue my current work and volunteer experiences, which I plan to do. Does anyone know of any good ways to gain clinical experience right now, or should I just keep taking shots in the dark?

If not, how would my time best be spent?

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So you’re a freshman? You have plenty of time. Talk to some of those places and make arrangements to start after the restrictions relax . You could also start at one of the places now with the understanding that you can/will move into a more clinical position when the time is right. You can also try to find some docs to shadow- either now if permissible or as restrictions loosen up.
What are your nonclinical volunteering experiences? What population are you focusing on?
You have time so don’t worry right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Scribing is slowly coming back up, I'd send in an app there and hope for the best. In the meantime don't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Virtual shadowing, if your school offers. Not as good as real shadowing, but better than nothing. Also, are you interested in MD or DO?

Hi everyone,
I'm a freshman in college seeking to become a pediatrician. As I'm sure everyone knows, clinical experience with patient interaction is quite difficult to find right now due to COVID. Even companies that say on their websites that they allow direct patient contact have told me AFTER I've applied that they are currently not allowing patient interaction.

I don't need non-clinical volunteer hours or work experience... I should have hundreds of hours of both if I continue my current work and volunteer experiences, which I plan to do. Does anyone know of any good ways to gain clinical experience right now, or should I just keep taking shots in the dark?

3 months ago, I was hired at my local hospital as an inpatient transporter. If you can find a clinic or hospital in your locale that is hiring jobs or volunteering reach out and ask. This can also include nursing homes and hospice or home health. Check Indeed or other local healthcare facilities.

Hi everyone,

You may want to consider contact tracing or working on a hotline or suicide prevention line. Other options would include becoming and working as an EMT, phlebotomist, or scribe.

Reactions: 1 user