Covid ruined my shadowing experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


New Member
Sep 8, 2020
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I was on track to shadow at an optometrist since March and Covid made her cancel on me early on. She opened shop and told me I may have a job and also shadowing. Got the news last week that she can't take have me do either because of Covid fears. I want a second optometrist recommendation letter by the time I apply to schools end of September and so far everyone near me has either not answered or told me no because of Covid spread. I'm calling more offices farther away and even Ophthalmologists but would it be wise to delay applying for a few weeks in order to get a second letter or is getting my application in early more important?


Full Member
May 14, 2020
Reaction score
Honestly, I would say get your application in early. If you have met the requirement of one optometrist recommendation, I would say you're good to go. While a second letter would serve as a great supplement, I don't think its worth delaying your application submission. You can always update your application after submission if you happen to gain more shadowing/work experience. In the meantime, if you are still not getting any shadowing opportunities, I would start conducting informational interviews with optometrists so it shows you are being active in your shadowing pursuits. Schools understand your circumstances given the times we are in, and considering you already have one optometrist recommendation - that's more than what some other applicants have. Wish you luck on your applications!!
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user