CP call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a very interesting response from one of my programs today - the residents don't take CP call at all. i.e. they do autopsies and frozens only.

Now this is a little strange, because while the reflex is to hop, skip and shriek with glee - what does it mean?

At some other programs I've seen, CP call usually involves blood banking. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to not having this sort of exposure?

Members don't see this ad.

deschutes said:
I had a very interesting response from one of my programs today - the residents don't take CP call at all. i.e. they do autopsies and frozens only.

Now this is a little strange, because while the reflex is to hop, skip and shriek with glee - what does it mean?

At some other programs I've seen, CP call usually involves blood banking. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to not having this sort of exposure?

I think they were confused. I highly doubt an accredited CP program has no resident call.

I have found this at a few places...and yes they are accredited places...one is actually a well known place. Moral of the story = no cp call most likely means weak cp...

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps the attendings just want to take call themselves, I don't know. Most CP call has to do with blood bank issues but you do get calls for acute leukemias and some lab issues (mislabeled specimens, etc). I think it's a little weird if they don't do CP call at all though...I don't remember encountering that.

At Mayo though residents don't take AP call at all (except for autopsies) unless they are fellows.

Well: the clarification I got was that there was BB call - but none for clinical chem, molecular diagnostics, cytogenetics or micro.

Is that more common?

Well there really aren't a ton of call issues for those anyway - the call issues that do come up are often related to misslabeled specimens or unclear requisition forms. If the attendings want to deal with those I say more power to them. You don't learn a ton from being woken up to ask someone to redraw the specimen because it's labeled incorrectly. Call issues related to interesting things more often happen during the day and often come right to the lab.

The bulk of our call is BB anyway. Anything is else for CP is a very small percentage. We have to occasionally go in to read Giemsa's and malaria smears but that's maybe once every two calls.

joedogma said:
I have found this at a few places...and yes they are accredited places...one is actually a well known place. Moral of the story = no cp call most likely means weak cp...

WHERE do you not take cp call??? I'm interested to know!!!

SLUsagar said:
WHERE do you not take cp call??? I'm interested to know!!!
There are probably programs out there where residents are not too essential (i.e., getting the work done does not solely rest on the shoulders of residents/residents are more observers rather than performers). At these programs, I think residents can do whatever they want (cue in Cartman voice: "whateva whateva I do what I waaaant!"). This is where residents can get away with not doing call. That's just my guess. I haven't visited anywhere where this is the case though.

For example, you got Mayo where residents don't take call (that's what I heard from a buddy of mine that interviewed there a while ago).

I rotated at a small program with ten residents where the only call one did was for autopsies. No frozens, and no CP. Like Andy implied, it's indeed a program where the residents aren't essential, and in fact may be seen as "in the way" of the attendings. Due to this reason, I will be ranking this program very low. While I don't want to be called into the hospital at all hours, I also want a decent training where I feel like an important member of the Path team.

stormjen said:
I rotated at a small program with ten residents where the only call one did was for autopsies. No frozens, and no CP. Like Andy implied, it's indeed a program where the residents aren't essential, and in fact may be seen as "in the way" of the attendings. Due to this reason, I will be ranking this program very low. While I don't want to be called into the hospital at all hours, I also want a decent training where I feel like an important member of the Path team.
I hear ya. I would venture to guess that there are a good # of programs where you're not worked like a dog but still serve a valuable function to the service.

Well, for what it's worth - I am not sure if any other programs are like this - I don't take any CP or AP call other than autopsy until 2nd year - they give us enough time and make sure we have rotated through key rotations before we take call.

I interviewed at at least one place where the 1st yrs took no CP call...was told, "We wouldn't have time for it." Huh. Is call really that time consuming? I'm thinking maybe the residents there are overworked?

In start contrast, other programs make you take a month of BB right off the bat so you can start carrying the pager ASAP.