CP only jobs for hemepath only practice in industry or private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what is the market like in private practice for CP only trained graduates from good schools with fellowship in hematopathology. If someone does a hemepath fellowship at University of Chicago, for example, with CP only residency, is there much opportunity for private practice in hemepath or getting a job in industry with a company like Quest?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering what is the market like in private practice for CP only trained graduates from good schools with fellowship in hematopathology. If someone does a hemepath fellowship at University of Chicago, for example, with CP only residency, is there much opportunity for private practice in hemepath or getting a job in industry with a company like Quest?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about other programs, but our hemepath fellowship is almost always given to AP trained graduates.

I'm not sure about other programs, but our hemepath fellowship is almost always given to AP trained graduates.

Yeah, hemepath is considered predominantly an AP field in the northeast, but often a CP field elsewhere (although AP-only are still eligible). It's weird.

To answer the original question I think a reference lab job would be possible, although many employers might want to see AP certification also.

Members don't see this ad :)
The U of C program has given the fellowship to strong CP-only candidates in the past.

When I was in Chicago, it was rumored that Vardiman was done taking fellows. He is still there and knowing him I can't imagine that he would ever stop teaching. Perhaps he's just done with the administrative stuff that goes with having fellows? IDK.

Can you get a job with CP-Heme? Yes you can, though there would be slim pickings in PP.

Thanks,

I had been thinking that perhaps I might get better preparation for a heme path only private practice career by doing a CP only residency, however I have almost completed a year of AP only service work so far (9 months surgical, 3 months autopsy). So I guess I might as well sit for the AP CP boards and get certification in both, then do my heme path fellowship and see where the winds take me I guess. I don't know how the job market is these days. Someone else was telling me that the general paradigm now is to work in academics for a few years after residency before truly transitioning towards full private practice. I really don't know how I feel about that.

Yeah, hemepath is considered predominantly an AP field in the northeast, but often a CP field elsewhere (although AP-only are still eligible). It's weird.

to continue the weirdness, i am at a northeast location where many hemepath fellows do CP only then Hemepath. I never understood how you could do hemepath and not have AP training (maybe even a few months??)

HP is just weird.