CPJE Monday October 12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclassring

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take my exam this Monday. Time to climb this mountain and plant a flag on top. I'll tell you all about my experience after my exam on Monday. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

good luck! It is a right of passage ... you will derive buckets worth of satisfaction after you complete the exam

I take my exam this Monday. Time to climb this mountain and plant a flag on top. I'll tell you all about my experience after my exam on Monday. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good Luck Blueclassring! Please share your experience with us. Your quizzes have been really helpful....will miss them! I am sure you will do great.

I arrived in West Covina on Sunday, and decided to stay at a hotel the night before so I wouldn't have to make the 2 hour drive from Ventura County. I didn't study much on Sunday, and just spent most of Sunday relaxing. Unfortunately, I didn't get much sleep last night because of pre-test anxiety and maybe managed to get two hours of sleep(although it wasn't quality sleep).

I decided to wake up at 5 am to run through my study charts one last time. This turned out to be a waste of time because I was half-awake and needed some caffeine to kick in. The next three hours are a blur but were pretty unproductive as far as the studying was concerned.

I checked in about 8:30 with about 4 other people. A couple other people were registering for the CPJE, but none were in the mood to chat. The check in takes about 10 minutes. The proctor has to read information to you about the exam, and you have to sign some paperwork. Word of advice is to use the bathroom before taking the test. There are no scheduled breaks, and any time that you used to go to the bathroom is deducted from your test time. Furthermore, if you are gone more than 5 minutes they will report you to the State Board.

***Disclaimer***
The advice I am giving you is based on my exam. Your exam may be different, and hence the study materials you need may be less or more that what I used. Additionally, none of the questions that I post as examples were on the actual test but were similar to the content. It would be a misdeanemor for me to post them according to California Pharmacy Law.

***Disclaimer***

They give you 2 hours to complete the exam; I left the testing room with 35 minutes to spare. Contrary to what others say on this website, the APhA book and the Weissman law book are more than adequate to pass this exam but like Ninah says it does not encompass everything that is tested on the exam. IMHO, you will need to supplement these studies with the Health Notes on the State Board website(mainly the QA health note, the Alternative Medications health note, and on a bare minimum look at the Script Newsletters from 2008-2009. I did see some questions from some of the older health notes, but if your pressed for time look at the last three. The APhA has a really bad opthalmic and otic section; spend some time at work look up directions for these products. I had at least three questions of this material.

Like I said, I used the APhA book as my primary resource and created study charts(using Excel) highlighting the differences and counseling points for each drug. (ie. (this question was not on the test but a good example of the type of counseling questions they ask) A patient with tuberculosis was recently diagnosed with gout. Which of the following drugs could be responsible for exacerbating/causing his gout?

A. Isoniazid
B. Rifampin
C. Chlorambuticol
D. Pyrazinamide

I think this is the best way to study using this book. There is just to much that they through at you. Focus on counseling points, monitoring, ADE, and what a drug is useful for(ie What is Digoxin good for?) for this exam. Don't worry about MOA, prices. For this exam, it also helps if you have worked in a pharmacy. Many of the questions are very practical and applicable to your everyday work environment. I had two straight law questions from Weissman; the rest were scenario questions. (ie A husband wants information about his wife's medications. What is he entitled to know if anything?)

AS the exam went along, I wrote down all 90 questions on the scratch piece of paper that PSI gave me. My intention was to look at the questions to gauge my progress, as well as determine how many I was certain I got right. I reviewed them just before submitting the test, and feel that I was sure about 55 of them. The others came down to educated guesses. I was able to do this with time to spare.

After the exam, I wrote down about 40 questions that were redacted from my memory.(After 4 months of trying to regurgitate information from that darn APhA, it good I can remember things so well.) As I look back on them, I would say that the exam in terms of difficulty is about a 6. The information is really focused to practical application, and legal interpretation. The NAPLEX in my opinion is much more difficult and would rate about an 8.

Topics to cover!! APhA does a really good job of covering everything except the opthalmics/otics. So spend time with another resource or go to your neighborhood pharmacy.

People are always concerned about HIV and Oncology because these are tough topics to master. Were there questions on HIV/Oncology? Yes, absolutely. Were they hard? No.

HIV questions. There were a couple. Don't waste your time with mechanisms, but focus on big picture items like counseling points and drug drug interactions. Which ones need to be refrigerated? (ie Fosamprenavir should not be taken with

A. Delaviridine
B. Tenofovir
C. Videx
D. Ribavirin

Oncology. Don't even waste your time. The question(s) were a dead giveaway.

Oh yes, know your dosing frequencies, dosing strengths, and indications. Questions like the one below came up on my exam.

( Rx Asacol 600 mg 2 tablets qid for Ulcerative Colitis

1. Fill as written
2. Dosing interval is wrong
3. Dosing strenght is wrong
4. Indication is wrong

As others have stated, focus on drug monitoring. I can recall about 5 questions on various monitoring parameters.

From recollection, they was at least question from every chapter of APhA except biotechnology, and calculations.

Look at the Updated section in the back of the book. There was at least one question from this section. Again, know the indications and the dosing for them.

Finally, look at the CPJE sample questions from the BOP website. There were at least 4-5 questions from them. Considering them freebees!!!!

The law questions were straightforward, so use Weissman and you'll be fine.

Like I said, the exam is not super difficult but it is possible to to shine if you put in the proper time and effort. I studied about 3 hours a night for the past two months, and even more time on the weekend. I did not want to risk failing this exam, and hopefully my efforts pay off.

Anyways, the exam is over. I can get back to living a wonderful life now. Today, feels like graduation. The weight is lifted off my shoulders!!! The ride that started over 4 years ago, has finally culminated with this experience. Hopefully, I'll be a licensed pharmacist soon! Good luck to all of you. If you have any questions, drop me a message. If you would like my study charts, I will be selling them for a small fee(like $25) as they took many, many, many hours to create. I do have to create an opthalmic/otic chart though!

Time to go to bed. I can't function with two hours of sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
wow...thank you for the insight! You have put in so much effort into this....you should be expecting a high score. Good luck for the results!

I second all the information blueclassring posted. The only thing that i used different in my prep was the Kaplan book. I thought that it made my life easy.

Another thing about the test center ... do not walk in there with a bag, they will make you take it to your car (maybe it was only my test center)

I am sure you passed blueclassring

AS the exam went along, I wrote down all 90 questions on the scratch piece of paper that PSI gave me. My intention was to look at the questions to gauge my progress, as well as determine how many I was certain I got right. I reviewed them just before submitting the test, and feel that I was sure about 55 of them. The others came down to educated guesses. I was able to do this with time to spare.

I kept a tally of number of questions that i felt comfortable answering and i came up a hair under 60! looks like our performance closely matched :D

I'm real happy for you, blueclassring! I'm sure you'll pass it without a doubt. I know how it feels to have this long burden lift off your chest. Unfortunately my is not over yet and the test date is approching faster than ever. I have a question regarding to law:

according to federal law, central record keeping location shall NOT include
1) used DEA 222 form 2) prescriptions, or 3) controlled substance inventories, they shall be maintained at the pharmacy.
However, with Cali state law we can store non-controlled prescriptions at central record keeping location ONE year after dispensing and TWO years after dispensing for controlled prescriptions.

So can prescriptions be stored at central record keeping location or not??
I just moved out here from another state, still trying to unlearn previous laws and experience :)

Thanks for your help!

As I look back on them, I would say that the exam in terms of difficulty is about a 6. The information is really focused to practical application, and legal interpretation. The NAPLEX in my opinion is much more difficult and would rate about an 8.

I also felt the same way after the NAPLEX and CPJE. It was a shock that I got 119 on the NAPLEX but 71 on the CPJE. I really felt the questions on the CPJE were common sense and I got them right. :confused:

I dont mind waiting 3 months to retake the CPJE. I just have this terrible feeling right now. I wonder if they have made the CPJE harder this year with tricky questions. Like 30% didn't pass last year. I wonder what is it this year. Does anyone know?

I also felt the same way after the NAPLEX and CPJE. It was a shock that I got 119 on the NAPLEX but 71 on the CPJE. I really felt the questions on the CPJE were common sense and I got them right. :confused:

I dont mind waiting 3 months to retake the CPJE. I just have this terrible feeling right now. I wonder if they have made the CPJE harder this year with tricky questions. Like 30% didn't pass last year. I wonder what is it this year. Does anyone know?
Sorry to hear that you failed the CPJE. Several people have thought they did well and were disappointed with their results. I think one has to realize that if you aced a lot of questions, many of them could be the test questions which, as you know, are not counted or graded. Ideally, these test questions are the ones you should get wrong (if you have to), because if the majority get them wrong they will not come back as "real" questions. Being a non-adaptive exam, every test has its own degree of difficulty. So lets say that A and B get an absolute score of 75 (test questions are not counted). When the scaling is done the person who had the easier exam could fall back, while the person with the more difficult exam will either stay at 75 or be bumped up to a higher scaled score. There is every reason to believe that as the years go by, the exam will get more sophisticated, (tricky), and perhaps more difficult.

Newkid,

Yes, you can do offsite records but noncontrolled scripts written a year ago, and controlled scripts written two years ago must be kept at your pharmacy. Also, you must be able to access your offsite records within 48 hours.

Blueclassring,
What about if a patient comes back with a wrong Rx, but didn't take any. What would pharmacist have to do? thanks.

you would still have to file an incident report w/in 48 hours of knowing... (regardless of whether patient took the med or not --error has been made the minute the patient walked out from the pharmacy w/ the wrong med)
...this is my understanding plz someone correct me if I am wrong?

Blueclassring,
What about if a patient comes back with a wrong Rx, but didn't take any. What would pharmacist have to do? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the drugs can be returned for a refund but they can't be dispensed again. They have been misadulterated by defintion(hey they could have thrown them in a microwave in the 5 minutes they were gone. Who knows??), and labeling them again to be dispensed would be considered illegal.

Yes, the drugs can be returned for a refund but they can't be dispensed again. They have been misadulterated by defintion(hey they could have thrown them in a microwave in the 5 minutes they were gone. Who knows??), and labeling them again to be dispensed would be considered illegal.

I arrived in West Covina on Sunday, and decided to stay at a hotel the night before so I wouldn't have to make the 2 hour drive from Ventura County. I didn't study much on Sunday, and just spent most of Sunday relaxing. Unfortunately, I didn't get much sleep last night because of pre-test anxiety and maybe managed to get two hours of sleep(although it wasn't quality sleep).

I decided to wake up at 5 am to run through my study charts one last time. This turned out to be a waste of time because I was half-awake and needed some caffeine to kick in. The next three hours are a blur but were pretty unproductive as far as the studying was concerned.

I checked in about 8:30 with about 4 other people. A couple other people were registering for the CPJE, but none were in the mood to chat. The check in takes about 10 minutes. The proctor has to read information to you about the exam, and you have to sign some paperwork. Word of advice is to use the bathroom before taking the test. There are no scheduled breaks, and any time that you used to go to the bathroom is deducted from your test time. Furthermore, if you are gone more than 5 minutes they will report you to the State Board.

***Disclaimer***
The advice I am giving you is based on my exam. Your exam may be different, and hence the study materials you need may be less or more that what I used. Additionally, none of the questions that I post as examples were on the actual test but were similar to the content. It would be a misdeanemor for me to post them according to California Pharmacy Law.

***Disclaimer***

They give you 2 hours to complete the exam; I left the testing room with 35 minutes to spare. Contrary to what others say on this website, the APhA book and the Weissman law book are more than adequate to pass this exam but like Ninah says it does not encompass everything that is tested on the exam. IMHO, you will need to supplement these studies with the Health Notes on the State Board website(mainly the QA health note, the Alternative Medications health note, and on a bare minimum look at the Script Newsletters from 2008-2009. I did see some questions from some of the older health notes, but if your pressed for time look at the last three. The APhA has a really bad opthalmic and otic section; spend some time at work look up directions for these products. I had at least three questions of this material.

Like I said, I used the APhA book as my primary resource and created study charts(using Excel) highlighting the differences and counseling points for each drug. (ie. (this question was not on the test but a good example of the type of counseling questions they ask) A patient with tuberculosis was recently diagnosed with gout. Which of the following drugs could be responsible for exacerbating/causing his gout?

A. Isoniazid
B. Rifampin
C. Chlorambuticol
D. Pyrazinamide

I think this is the best way to study using this book. There is just to much that they through at you. Focus on counseling points, monitoring, ADE, and what a drug is useful for(ie What is Digoxin good for?) for this exam. Don't worry about MOA, prices. For this exam, it also helps if you have worked in a pharmacy. Many of the questions are very practical and applicable to your everyday work environment. I had two straight law questions from Weissman; the rest were scenario questions. (ie A husband wants information about his wife's medications. What is he entitled to know if anything?)

After the exam, I wrote down about 40 questions that were redacted from my memory.(After 4 months of trying to regurgitate information from that darn APhA, it good I can remember things so well.) As I look back on them, I would say that the exam in terms of difficulty is about a 6. The information is really focused to practical application, and legal interpretation. The NAPLEX in my opinion is much more difficult and would rate about an 8.

Topics to cover!! APhA does a really good job of covering everything except the opthalmics/otics. So spend time with another resource or go to your neighborhood pharmacy.

People are always concerned about HIV and Oncology because these are tough topics to master. Were there questions on HIV/Oncology? Yes, absolutely. Were they hard? No.

HIV questions. There were a couple. Don't waste your time with mechanisms, but focus on big picture items like counseling points and drug drug interactions. Which ones need to be refrigerated? (ie Fosamprenavir should not be taken with

A. Delaviridine
B. Tenofovir
C. Videx
D. Ribavirin

Oh yes, know your dosing frequencies, dosing strengths, and indications. Questions like the one below came up on my exam.

1. Fill as written
4. Indication is wrong

As others have stated, focus on drug monitoring. I can recall about 5 questions on various monitoring parameters.

From recollection, they was at least question from every chapter of APhA except biotechnology, and calculations.

Look at the Updated section in the back of the book. There was at least one question from this section. Again, know the indications and the dosing for them.

Finally, look at the CPJE sample questions from the BOP website. There were at least 4-5 questions from them. Considering them freebees!!!!

Like I said, the exam is not super difficult but it is possible to to shine if you put in the proper time and effort. I studied about 3 hours a night for the past two months, and even more time on the weekend. I did not want to risk failing this exam, and hopefully my efforts pay off.

Anyways, the exam is over. I can get back to living a wonderful life now. Today, feels like graduation. The weight is lifted off my shoulders!!! The ride that started over 4 years ago, has finally culminated with this experience. Hopefully, I'll be a licensed pharmacist soon! Good luck to all of you. If you have any questions, drop me a message. If you would like my study charts, I will be selling them for a small fee(like $25) as they took many, many, many hours to create. I do have to create an opthalmic/otic chart though!

Hi blueclassring,
I'd like to buy your study charts. How big is the file? Can you emailed them? And how should I pay you?

Thank you:)

Success at last. I passed the CPJE with a decent margin. It can be done! Study hard, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. It is possible, and you can do it!!

Quote: If you would like my study charts, I will be selling them for a small fee

Hi Blueclassring,

Sign me up! How would you like payment?

***Disclaimer***

***Disclaimer***

A. Isoniazid
B. Rifampin
C. Chlorambuticol
D. Pyrazinamide

A. Delaviridine
B. Tenofovir
C. Videx
D. Ribavirin

1. Fill as written
4. Indication is wrong

Thank you very much for the cpje info,I need the charts please reply to my email . [email protected]

Remember that ADE and monitoring are big on the CPJE. Study hard and don't give up. BTW, for those waiting for their license it took about a month and a half to receive my pocket license. The other one should be here very soon!

Hi,

Can I purchase your study charts. Please let me know.
Thanks.....

Last edited:
For those who had to re-take cpje, how long did the BOP take to process your application? Thanks..

I passed the second time around! :laugh:

Yeah, I wouldn't waste too much time on HIV or Oncology. You might get one question from that and it's a dead giveaway. Usually ends in -ib

***Disclaimer***

***Disclaimer***

A. Isoniazid
B. Rifampin
C. Chlorambuticol
D. Pyrazinamide

A. Delaviridine
B. Tenofovir
C. Videx
D. Ribavirin

1. Fill as written
4. Indication is wrong

Hi! Can I purchase a study chart?

***Disclaimer***

***Disclaimer***

A. Isoniazid
B. Rifampin
C. Chlorambuticol
D. Pyrazinamide

A. Delaviridine
B. Tenofovir
C. Videx
D. Ribavirin

1. Fill as written
4. Indication is wrong

thank you!