CPR/First AID training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchen707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that most DPT programs require that you be certified in CPR and first aid before beginning the program, and I was wondering if an online course would qualify (like this one http://www.cprtoday.com/) or does it have to be a class that I sit in on?

I'm going to call the programs that I'm applying just to make sure, but wanted to see if any of you have any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely should call. It depends on the program. Some programs even explicitly state on their website that they do not accept online courses like University of Maryland. I also think it is worth it to take a course in person. I just got CPR certified and it is one thing reading the book and another actually performing it, so in case of an emergency you are more prepared. They can't give you a practical test online and give you feedback on what you are doing wrong. I would check local hospitals and colleges because they often offer classes monthly. Some even offer combined CPR and first aid courses through the American Heart Association for about $30. If time and money is an issue (like for most people) and the programs say an online course is accepted, then it probably wouldn't hurt to take it online. I just learn better hands on, so for me personally taking the course was worth it.

Thanks for the response. I was certified 3 years ago, never got it renewed, but I remember all of the stuff still. So it's not really a matter of learning the stuff for the first time, just a matter of actually getting the license, which is why I figured that if an online course is accepted, it might save me some time. but I'll def be calling the individual programs about when I get a chance.

I would recommend being certified by either the American Heart Association or the Red Cross. More facilities, hospitals, schools, etc accept AHA certification, though. Be careful of other organizations that provide CPR/First Aid/AED certification, as they may not be readily accepted.

My school recommends AHA certification, and at one of their Dallas campus, actually requires it to be by AHA.

Contact your school concerning which they would prefer.