cpw how's your 4th semester goin???

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simisn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey cpw give the future optometry students an idea on what the 4th semester of optometry school is like. Aren't you seeing patients now? How's that goin? I hope other Opt. students (such as hema:) ) will add their 2 cents too.

Oh and cpw are you going to the TOA conference this weekend at Austin? According to the agenda we got for the conference, it seems like there going to be a lot of UHCO faculty and students there. P.O.P.S. at UH is making it a road trip:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, fourth semester is as it was promised to be. BUSY AS ALL H3LL! We're taking 21 hours and seeing patients on top of it. By the time you crawl home after classes from 830-5 you have to study. Tests started about three weeks ago and haven't stopped. I had two tests two weeks ago, three tests last week, three tests this week, two tests next week, one the week after that and then four the week before spring break. See a trend?

I'm not complaining... it's just all so overwhelming. I just keep telling myself that third year will be better. (and so the third years keep telling me)

I've seen about four patients now. We see patients two out of every three weeks. (only one afternoon a week). Another afternoon a week I'm in dispensary helping people pick out glasses. (along with adjusting and dispensing,etc). It's like work.. without money.

Yes, I'll be at TOA. There's a whole group of second year students there. If you see me, Simisn come say hi! I don't think Hema will be there, but she'll (hopefully) add in her two cents as to her feelings about second year.

Yea, I'll be seeing you this saturday:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well said cpw. The schedule is definitely tighter this semester (not in the tight=cool sense), but it?s all a lot of fun so time flies by. Dispensary was new to me, I love it (and I have not snapped off any nose pads yet). Seeing patients is the best thing of the semester by far, we?ll see around 8 this semester.

On days we don?t have clinic, we have a seminar to practice procedures. Last week was scleral depression where I almost got my eyelid pierced? well, that?s what it felt like. Next time will be lacrimal dilation and irrigation, sheesh.

The spiffy rec center opened this semester, just in time, hehe. It?s really nice and they have a lot of activities, but I think most of us are waiting for summer before we get to go in there on a regular basis.

I guess everyone is on their way to Austin, hope you guys have a great time!

Hema

Is this the first semester that you get to see patients?

we do vision screenings with patients from the first semester.. but this is the first semester we're alone with the patients doing an ENTIRE exam.