Crackheads at NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I've read a lot of posts on SDN and I don't think I've heard one as wildly smug and crappy as the one just posted by nyuhopeful. What a turd. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah it may be a jerk response but I feel as though a lot of jerks initiated the forum (as if mistakes can never be made). I'd feel the same way had I received a waitlist letter also. This minor mistake hardly can overshadow how much I enjoyed my visit, the interviewer and the students.

Like I said before, get a grip! You people act like you were rejected already. I almost want to put money on you guys being the first to enroll there if they actually decide to accept you.

nyuhopeful said:
Oh yeah it may be a jerk response but I feel as though a lot of jerks initiated the forum (as if mistakes can never be made). I'd feel the same way had I received a waitlist letter also. This minor mistake hardly can overshadow how much I enjoyed my visit, the interviewer and the students.

Like I said before, get a grip! You people act like you were rejected already. I almost want to put money on you guys being the first to enroll there if they actually decide to accept you.

you make a valid point about people overreacting and getting defensive. HOWEVER, the comments you made about people's grades and other rejections just make you look really bad and smug. not a very good way to introduce yourself to sdn.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether NYU rejected anyone post interview, or is there a massive waitlist of all those not accepted?
Also wondering whether anyone waitlisted has called to inquire about their chances, or whether they rank etc? Thanks!

nyuhopeful said:
Ok, so a friend of mine told me to check out what everyone has been saying about my prospective medical school. First of all, I understand that they got a few of the waitlist letters wrong, but I think that you all are over-reacting. I interviewed during the last week in January and promptly received my acceptance letter. Friends of mine who interviewed before me did in fact receive rejection letters and the CORRECT waitlist letters (and I had a few friends who were put on the waitlist so I know that I'm not talking B/S over here)

So really, you guys just sound bitter. If you feel so strongly against them just take yourself off of the wait list. Since you're such "wonderful" applicants with good GPA's and MCAT's why don't you just go to Harvard, Cornell and the rest of the east coast schools (ooops, I forgot, they matched your WL/rejection letter properly :laugh: )

So don't take this blow to your already too inflated ego so personally. Stop talking crap like punks over SDN (when you know that NYU is still a top choice for you). So really, get your "effin s*&t" together, get those grades up and take rejection like a trooper (i would do the same, but hey, they let me in!!!) :D

DOOD, stop being a meanie. ppl may have overreacted to the situation, but you're making it worse by acting as though you're a hot shot with your admission letter. anyhow, nyu was one of the few schools where i actually withdrew my acceptance. hopefully, that will translate into a worthy person coming off the waitlist.

krelian said:
DOOD, stop being a meanie. ppl may have overreacted to the situation, but you're making it worse by acting as though you're a hot shot with your admission letter. anyhow, nyu was one of the few schools where i actually withdrew my acceptance. hopefully, that will translate into a worthy person coming off the waitlist.

NYU sucks - nuff said

Get those grades up? Everyone that's posted here has had above a 3.9! I have a 4.0 from an ivy league school, but I'm also well-rounded and all that good stuff, and didn't even get an interview at NYU. We are bitter because we worked hard and don't understand why NYU is ignoring us. I guess NYU just had a zillion really qualified applicants...

neuropower said:
Get those grades up? Everyone that's posted here has had above a 3.9! I have a 4.0 from an ivy league school, but I'm also well-rounded and all that good stuff, and didn't even get an interview at NYU. We are bitter because we worked hard and don't understand why NYU is ignoring us. I guess NYU just had a zillion really qualified applicants...

Just to add my name to the list:

I had a 35 and around a 3.7 from an IvyLeague School plus interesting notrad life experiences... rejected preinterview from NYU

go figure. I think this is thefirst year they are accepting AMCAS so they are inundated with apps... then again they may just not be that into me.

yep, those who were waitlisted at nyu on this forum were extermely qualified. they have a right to be bitter. i am pretty bitter too. 37 mcat, 3.92 gpa from dartmouth, solid activities, strong personal statement, good interview. Waitlisted.

i think its a pretty bad mistake to send letters to the wrong people, its kind of insulting. especially since as applicants we've treated everything so critically, (imagine the horror of a typo in the application or letters we send!!)
its embarrassing...
But those of you who are already accepted feel the need to jump to their defense, go ahead. NYU is still a great school and im dying to get accepted there so whatever

nyuhopeful said:

Dude, not everyone is acting all bitter.. If you scroll back, I was sad.. I don't think I'm overqualified or too good and I can only hope to get in off the waitlist... so careful who you offend, seriously

In response to whoever asked about calling NYU for info, I did and they said they can't tell me how many people are on the waitlist but she thinks it somewhere in the hundreds... in other words, I'm not holding my breath.

rugirlie said:
Dude, not everyone is acting all bitter.. If you scroll back, I was sad.. I don't think I'm overqualified or too good and I can only hope to get in off the waitlist... so careful who you offend, seriously

In response to whoever asked about calling NYU for info, I did and they said they can't tell me how many people are on the waitlist but she thinks it somewhere in the hundreds... in other words, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm with you. Again, they messed up some letters (though I just received mine and it was correct which probably means 1 day of mailing got messed up perhaps somewhere in the sorting), but its a great institution and I am sure they were not prepared for the influx of a much larger number of apps this year. Also, the waitlist may be an interesting way for them to narrow down the list of applicants through self selection of the applicants therefore resulting in them getting more people that REALLY want to go there. If this forum is any indication, it seems that its working.

I want to add my 2 cents to this discussion as another pre-interview reject from NYU...This message particularly pertains to those of you like myself who have taken significant time off since college (two in this string, I think).

Without going into too many details, I have some great stats too and have received some awesome interviews. NYU was one of just a couple of schools to decline to interview me, and I couldn't understand it. The medical school decision process reminds me of priests' attempts to explain the holy trinity: in the end, it's probably inexplicable. That being said, we rational sorts like things to make sense - impenetrable mysteries cry out to be solved.

In that spirit, I have heard that NYU takes almost no one who has been out of school for several years. While this is just the "word on the street", the US News stats quote that only 10% of NYU med students took any time off between college and school (compare this to 56% and 52% at Columbia and Cornell, respectively), so it seems like it may well be true.

When it is hard for me to fall asleep at night wondering why I got the big negatory from NYU, I soothe myself with the above rationale.

P.S. I FINALLY got into med school today, after months and months of waiting. HUGE EXHALATION!!!!

tommerbommer said:
I want to add my 2 cents to this discussion as another pre-interview reject from NYU...This message particularly pertains to those of you like myself who have taken significant time off since college (two in this string, I think).

Without going into too many details, I have some great stats too and have received some awesome interviews. NYU was one of just a couple of schools to decline to interview me, and I couldn't understand it. The medical school decision process reminds me of priests' attempts to explain the holy trinity: in the end, it's probably inexplicable. That being said, we rational sorts like things to make sense - impenetrable mysteries cry out to be solved.

In that spirit, I have heard that NYU takes almost no one who has been out of school for several years. While this is just the "word on the street", the US News stats quote that only 10% of NYU med students took any time off between college and school (compare this to 56% and 52% at Columbia and Cornell, respectively), so it seems like it may well be true.

When it is hard for me to fall asleep at night wondering why I got the big negatory from NYU, I soothe myself with the above rationale.

P.S. I FINALLY got into med school today, after months and months of waiting. HUGE EXHALATION!!!!

i don't want to make it harder for you to sleep at night, but i'm gonna have to offer anecdotal evidence to the contrary...i've been out of school for two years and managed to get in...could just be in that lucky 10% though...congrats on your other acceptance, that's all that matters

mcnugz said:
i don't want to make it harder for you to sleep at night, but i'm gonna have to offer anecdotal evidence to the contrary...i've been out of school for two years and managed to get in...could just be in that lucky 10% though...congrats on your other acceptance, that's all that matters
Please, please, for the love of God...stop ruining my self-serving rationalizations! Anyway, I've been out in the "real world" for five and a half years, so that MUST be the difference.

tommerbommer said:
Please, please, for the love of God...stop ruining my self-serving rationalizations! Anyway, I've been out in the "real world" for five and a half years, so that MUST be the difference.

absolutely...i've heard that as soon as you hit 3 years, the percentage goes way down to practically impossible (feelin better already right?)

tommerbommer said:

CONGRATS on the accept. I'm not trying to burst your bubble either, just to provide more stats. I have been out for about 4 years and am now on the infamous waitlist.....but I agree that the process can CERTAINLY at least appear random even if there is some unforeseen order to it (think structure of the universe).