Cranial Hemorrhages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tasar1898

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey , could someone help me classify the various intracranial hemorrhages and their symptoms pathophysiology ??
Please correct if anything is wrong

Epidural Hemo --> MMA rupture --> Symptoms due to mass effect

Subdural Hemo -->Bridging veins rupture --> Symptoms due to mass effect

Subarachnoid Hemo--> Berry aneurysm/AVM --> Symptoms due to mass effect + Meningeal Irritation [ Complications 1) Vasospasm days after --> Ischemic Stroke , 2) Rebleed , 3)Hydrocephalus due to scarring of arachnoid granulations ] , Also is SAH classified as hemorrhagic stroke ??

Intracerebral Hemorrhage --> Here it gets tricky . Is intracerebral hemo = Hemorrhagic stroke ?? Symptoms are due to mass effect or due to direct blood contents toxicity on neurons?? I know that causes are Charcot Bouchard micro aneurysm ( micro bleeds in basal ganglia/Internal capsule ) , Amyloid Angiopathy ( Lobar big hemorrhages) , Cancers , Anticoagulation , Very low platelets

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hemorrhagic stroke = stroke caused by bleeding in or around the brain. Yes, SAH and ICH are both types of hemorrhagic stroke.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a confusion regarding the location of an epidural hematoma, considering that the meningeal artery runs between the two dural layers, how does its rupture produce a hematoma in the epidural space between the dural periosteal layer and the cranial bone. If the the middle meningeal artery enters through the foramen spinosum, it has two run between the two layers rather than the epidural space since the periosteal layer is continuous with the periosteum at all formaina in skull. This has confused me for quite a while now, would be really grateful to anyone who can help