Cranial nerves: how specific?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I understand that for neuro we definitely need to be comfortable with images like CTs, angiograms, etc. But I'm struggling with memorizing the details of the cranial nerves (like all the ganglia of CN VII and the branches involved like the chorda tympani and lingual nerve, etc.). I mean I know their general functions and where they're located and such, but in how much detail are we supposed to know them cause Chapter 13 in HY Neuroanatomy is very detailed. Or maybe it's just me?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I understand that for neuro we definitely need to be comfortable with images like CTs, angiograms, etc. But I'm struggling with memorizing the details of the cranial nerves (like all the ganglia of CN VII and the branches involved like the chorda tympani and lingual nerve, etc.). I mean I know their general functions and where they're located and such, but in how much detail are we supposed to know them cause Chapter 13 in HY Neuroanatomy is very detailed. Or maybe it's just me?

What's presented in FA is all you have to know. The degree of detail in HY neuro is way too much. Although I did have a few pictures of a cross section of the medulla, they were very basic questions that you probably could remember from your classes. I read HY neuro and subsequently forgot it. You could waste your time and do the same if you'd like.

What's presented in FA is all you have to know. The degree of detail in HY neuro is way too much. Although I did have a few pictures of a cross section of the medulla, they were very basic questions that you probably could remember from your classes. I read HY neuro and subsequently forgot it. You could waste your time and do the same if you'd like.
:thumbup:

The Neuro was incredibly basic on my exam (although that doesn't mean that I remembered all of it!).

what is the chorda tympani? I'm serious- I think that term seems familar from gross anatomy a few years back but I'm not sure. What I am pretty sure of is that knowing chorda tympani for step1 is low yield.

For the details of the cranial nerves, know what each does(for example know something like that cranial nerve 7 does anterior taste buds). Know which arise from the pons, midbrain, and medulla. I would also know where each exit. Know the deficits in terms of which way the tongue will fall or palate if there is a lesion with those cranial nerves, and know cn7 lesions of course with how bell's palsy will present vs. an umn lesion. And of course the eye muscle movements and cn2 lesions(where in the tract produces what).

And that's all I would know(it's also what's in first aid). Memorizing more than that to me is just low yield.

what is the chorda tympani? I'm serious- I think that term seems familar from gross anatomy a few years back but I'm not sure. What I am pretty sure of is that knowing chorda tympani for step1 is low yield.

For the details of the cranial nerves, know what each does(for example know something like that cranial nerve 7 does anterior taste buds). Know which arise from the pons, midbrain, and medulla. I would also know where each exit. Know the deficits in terms of which way the tongue will fall or palate if there is a lesion with those cranial nerves, and know cn7 lesions of course with how bell's palsy will present vs. an umn lesion. And of course the eye muscle movements and cn2 lesions(where in the tract produces what).

And that's all I would know(it's also what's in first aid). Memorizing more than that to me is just low yield.

So I'm guessing neuro wasn't too bad on your test then?