Crap, I got into med school. :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All4MyDaughter said:
I'm not even sure what you are talking about now. Semantics? Holes? Digging?
I want some of whatever you are smoking.

It isn't complicated.

First...I think the general consensus here is you constantly nitpick at semantics to further your misguided opinion.

Second...You dug yourself in a hole and instead of just admitting you aren't right you are trying to nitpick at semantics...backtrack...and just be plain stubborn (therefore you are digging the hole deeper and deeper).

It is very easy to make an absolute determination. Med School is harder/more difficult/more competitve...whatever you want to call it...than Pharmacy School.

Your reasoning is the same as saying it is more competitive to be a Police Officer than to be an Astronaut if the Police Officer positions are more applied to vs. the number of people who receive the job. You are leaving out many important factors that are much more important in determining the difficulty in succeeding and achieving a certain goal. Such as meeting certain criteria before you even think about applying to a chosen field...a very important aspect you conveniently decided to leave out of your arguments.

Keep telling people that Pharmacy School is a lot harder to get into though. Everyone needs a good laugh sometimes.
 
insipid1979 said:
It isn't complicated.

First...I think the general consensus here is you constantly nitpick at semantics to further your misguided opinion.

Second...You dug yourself in a hole and instead of just admitting you aren't right you are trying to nitpick at semantics...backtrack...and just be plain stubborn (therefore you are digging the hole deeper and deeper).

It is very easy to make an absolute determination. Med School is harder/more difficult/more competitve...whatever you want to call it...than Pharmacy School.

Your reasoning is the same as saying it is more competitive to be a Police Officer than to be an Astronaut if the Police Officer positions are more applied to vs. the number of people who receive the job. You are leaving out many important factors that are much more important in determining the difficulty in succeeding and achieving a certain goal. Such as meeting certain criteria before you even think about applying to a chosen field...a very important aspect you conveniently decided to leave out of your arguments.

Keep telling people that Pharmacy School is a lot harder to get into though. Everyone needs a good laugh sometimes.

I bet you have lots of friends. 😉
 
Kaya31 said:
I bet you have lots of friends. 😉

Well you see that all depends on how you define the word friends...see I define it as blah blah blah...whereas if you mean yada yada yada you might be right...but that would only be under these certain set of circumstances (insert meaningless paragraphs).
*fast forward 4 posts of meaningless elaborations/stating the obvious*
Now you wlil see how I am always right and never wrong even when I say the exact opposite of what I posted originally!!! I can even go on and on and twist things around like I do in every thread I post in to save face!

Ooops sorry...I was caught in All4mydaughter mode. 😉

To get back on topic...I'm not this argumentative in real life because I wouldn't be able to just laugh at such utter nonsense that other people love to preach (without being rude)...at least I am able to hide it on the internet...not that I make any point to of course :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
insipid1979 said:
Well you see that all depends on how you define the word friends...see I define it as blah blah blah...whereas if you mean yada yada yada you might be right...but that would only be under these certain set of circumstances (insert meaningless paragraphs).
*fast forward 4 posts of meaningless elaborations/stating the obvious*
Now you wlil see how I am always right and never wrong even when I say the exact opposite of what I posted originally!!! I can even go on and on and twist things around like I do in every thread I post in to save face!

Ooops sorry...I was caught in All4mydaughter mode. 😉

To get back on topic...I'm not this argumentative in real life because I wouldn't be able to just laugh at such utter nonsense that other people love to preach (without being rude)...at least I am able to hide it on the internet...not that I make any point to of course :laugh:

Ok guys, c'mon now, time for a big group hug here. There we go, now doesn't that feel a lot better? Let's just all try be friends now, ok? 😀
 
I think both insipid and all4 have decent points. How can a concrete conclusion ever be reached? I know I've picked up the view from society that med school is very hard to get into and I really didn't pick up anything about pharmacy school. Now that I've went through the process and have witnessed how the application to both side by side I have a different view. How can you be so sure insipid? I don't like semantics either but things need to be defined in an argument, such as what do we mean when we say one is harder than the other? What is "one" and what does "harder" mean? I thought your definition of harder was good insipid (I'm going off of memory). I think you said something to the extent of if an admitted pharmacy student is more competitive or if an admitted med student is more competitive is the other professions respective school. To clarify, I am talking about applying right now, not 5 or 10 years ago. I don't regret being semi involved in this thread.
 
My undergrad has a program where you automatically are accepted into Nova's DO program. You have to complete the premed curriculum, get your BS and achieve a particular GPA. For me, that would have been an easier pathway. But, I wanted to be a pharmacist so I went through the trauma of applying to pharmacy school.

I'm sure medical school is more difficult than pharmacy school. But, the caliber of students applying is no better than those applying to pharmacy. They are all smart. They just want to do different things with their lives.
 
pharmer said:
Having done both gotta go with med school...but overall I don't really consider either one really that difficult.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
 
insipid1979 said:
Well you see that all depends on how you define the word friends...see I define it as blah blah blah...whereas if you mean yada yada yada you might be right...but that would only be under these certain set of circumstances (insert meaningless paragraphs).
*fast forward 4 posts of meaningless elaborations/stating the obvious*
Now you wlil see how I am always right and never wrong even when I say the exact opposite of what I posted originally!!! I can even go on and on and twist things around like I do in every thread I post in to save face!

Ooops sorry...I was caught in All4mydaughter mode. 😉

To get back on topic...I'm not this argumentative in real life because I wouldn't be able to just laugh at such utter nonsense that other people love to preach (without being rude)...at least I am able to hide it on the internet...not that I make any point to of course :laugh:



:laugh: :laugh: Hilarious dude, Hilarious! :laugh: :laugh:
 
Hey guys I'm bored at work and randomly found this thread, but I'll give what I know.

In the Dean of WVU-SOM's address on the current state of the school, he noted a marked decreased in the number of in-state (West Virginian) applicants to its medical schools. The reasons of this trend are unknown but are speculated to be fear of high tuition and debt, malpractice (West Virginia is a medical Red Flag State), etc...

It appears going into Medicine is a "relatively" unpopular field to go into within the state and I believe this could be a reason that there is a very small disparity between the academic qualifications of WVa PharmD and MD applicants.

That being said, thanks to the great state of WVa for giving this Native West Virginian/now legal Virginian resident a shot at his dream.

As to whether med/pharm applicants/students/professionals are academically superior to one another, I won't even conjecture that. I just know that it takes different brand of smart to be a good physician vs. a good pharmacist vs. research scientist vs. anything else.