Crap Job Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merlin_EM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here with a professional dilemma, seeking advice:

- Attending a couple of years out of residency in their first job.
- BC, EM trained
- Live in the South (cannot specify more closely)

- Hates current job
-- long commute
-- low pay (bait and switch from promised to reality)
-- terribly entitled and ungrateful (as well as ignorant) patient population
-- no resources to make things better (hospital/ED design)
-- Being told to practice in a way that I don't feel ethically compatible with.

- Lives in a market which is tough to get into, so transitioning into another local job is tough (long term process)
- Can (and have occasionally) moonlight in more distant areas for 2x the pay and 50% of the hours as an IC
- I WOULD get to completely control the hours/shifts worked
- Could actually have more @ home time with the family, time for travel, projects, etc.
- Could be COMPLETELY debt free in 2 years, along with healthy "Go **** yourself"account.
- Downside is the travel involved for the moonlighting, time away from family
- Never done this before and would be weird/scary not to be completely "with a group."

Tough decision. I love the staff and doctors that I work with but overall I just get ANGRY every time that I have to drive into work.

Any thoughts? Any words from someone who has "cut the cord," so to speak?

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker here with a professional dilemma, seeking advice:

- Attending a couple of years out of residency in their first job.
- BC, EM trained
- Live in the South (cannot specify more closely)

- Hates current job
-- long commute
-- low pay (bait and switch from promised to reality)
-- terribly entitled and ungrateful (as well as ignorant) patient population
-- no resources to make things better (hospital/ED design)
-- Being told to practice in a way that I don't feel ethically compatible with.

- Lives in a market which is tough to get into, so transitioning into another local job is tough (long term process)
- Can (and have occasionally) moonlight in more distant areas for 2x the pay and 50% of the hours as an IC
- I WOULD get to completely control the hours/shifts worked
- Could actually have more @ home time with the family, time for travel, projects, etc.
- Could be COMPLETELY debt free in 2 years, along with healthy "Go **** yourself"account.
- Downside is the travel involved for the moonlighting, time away from family
- Never done this before and would be weird/scary not to be completely "with a group."

Tough decision. I love the staff and doctors that I work with but overall I just get ANGRY every time that I have to drive into work.

Any thoughts? Any words from someone who has "cut the cord," so to speak?

I underlined the worst part.

We're hiring. PM me for details.

I underlined the worst part.

We're hiring. PM me for details.
Agree with Fox's emphasis. Ultimately we are in the ED to take care of the patient and when the patient consistently sucks as a person the job sucks also.

Members don't see this ad :)
well...are u willing to interview in north? we have one opening. im fresh out of residency..pay is good over 300K as an IC. good people. medical director is kick ass

We're hiring in south Texas. Excellent pay, partnership in 1 year.

Thanks for the wonderful replies, fellas. It was unexpected and I truly thank you all. PMs will be sent to everyone.

WRT patient population, I don't think that I had realized how much of an impact that this was going to have on my practice.

Has anyone ever just "worked for yourself"? By which I mean, doing a couple of different IC jobs but not being tied to just one?

Thanks!

Also hiring, south of the Deep South, but not quite as south as Fox. Patient population is a huge factor.

Community shop near here is paying $220 an hour and has a $40K signing bonus.

Quit. Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence. Quitting my first job out of residency was the best career move I ever made.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk