Crappy GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potato47

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am looking to apply to Podiatry school for next cycle. I have about a 2.5 GPA overall and a 3.2 Science GPA. I know they're not good but I have been busy working in the podiatry field while taking all these classes. I have seven years podiatry assisting experience both clinical and surgical. I am wondering if my experience will help my application where my GPA lacks. I will be taking the MCAT in the spring, so unfortunately I do not have that score to go off yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am looking to apply to Podiatry school for next cycle. I have about a 2.5 GPA overall and a 3.2 Science GPA. I know they're not good but I have been busy working in the podiatry field while taking all these classes. I have seven years podiatry assisting experience both clinical and surgical. I am wondering if my experience will help my application where my GPA lacks. I will be taking the MCAT in the spring, so unfortunately I do not have that score to go off yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your overall GPA is low, but it really helps that your science is much higher. If you can get a really strong MCAT score then it will certainly help. Unfortunately I've really learned how little these schools care about your podiatry experience, so while yours will be incredibly helpful in school and in the future, it probably won't actually be that helpful in you getting in. You really need to ace that MCAT!

Also, are there any classes you can take this summer? Or even next year while you're applying? Anything to get that overall up.

Things that get you the invite:
-GPA
-MCAT

Things that get you the acceptance:
-people skills
-experience
-compelling life story

Nail the MCAT to make up for your low cGPA and get the invite first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things that get you the invite:
-GPA
-MCAT

Things that get you the acceptance:
-people skills
-experience
-compelling life story

Nail the MCAT to make up for your low cGPA and get the invite first.
Agreed

Thank you both. I am looking into taking some extra courses to get my GPA up. I'm going to be studying for the MCAT now until I take it next year. Hopefully I ace it! Thank you!