Crazy coinicidence or a program calling me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Littlemantate

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just had a bit of a wierd experience. Probably because I am high strung over this whole season and match as it is but I need some input just out of curiousity.

So I get a call at 7 30 from a number I did not recognize at the time-out of my area code, so I did not answer it. No message left. Out of curiousity I discovered the area code was from the same city my top choice program is in that I interviewed and let them know. Now I have heard of PD's calling students but
1. would they not leave a message?
2. Call at 730 at night?

It is probably a nutty coincidence because I know not a sole anywhere in that vicinity forsure and out of every area code in teh country to dial a wrong number-wierd. I could call it back but that would not look good if it was legit-kinda wierd to call back numbers.

ANyway I am probably just overly high strung

Members don't see this ad.

Call back in the evening. Odds are, it's an office that's closed and you would get a voicemail then you would know who called. Problem solved. If you get a live person, then I would just say "Hi I just missed a call from there." Better than the curiosity getting the better of you.

You can always do an on-line reverse phone number look-up for free. If its a business you might get lucky and find out who it is.

Otherwise, as above, call after hours and see what the machine says. At any rate, since you are applying for surgery, it would not suprise me that they would call at 730 - after all, its more convenient for them and they probably also figured you would be home at that time.

I've had two PDs call in the evening. One called around 8 and the other at 9:30ish. I think it's easier for them to find the time in the evening.

So I just had a bit of a wierd experience. Probably because I am high strung over this whole season and match as it is but I need some input just out of curiousity.

So I get a call at 7 30 from a number I did not recognize at the time-out of my area code, so I did not answer it. No message left. Out of curiousity I discovered the area code was from the same city my top choice program is in that I interviewed and let them know. Now I have heard of PD's calling students but
1. would they not leave a message?
2. Call at 730 at night?

It is probably a nutty coincidence because I know not a sole anywhere in that vicinity forsure and out of every area code in teh country to dial a wrong number-wierd. I could call it back but that would not look good if it was legit-kinda wierd to call back numbers.

ANyway I am probably just overly high strung

let us knw how it turned out.

You can always do an on-line reverse phone number look-up for free. If its a business you might get lucky and find out who it is.

Otherwise, as above, call after hours and see what the machine says. At any rate, since you are applying for surgery, it would not suprise me that they would call at 730 - after all, its more convenient for them and they probably also figured you would be home at that time.

haha no no surgery for me-I had a few posts on your boards because I saw some interesting posts-but not me!

Thanks for the info-sounds like it could be a call-but what about leaving no message? Would not someone leave a message? And would this look bad that I missed the call?

all this paranoia reminds me of medschool apps-i guess fellowships will be the same, then job offers, then promotions-never ending anxiety-

Calm down. Just call the number back. Program directors do not expect us to wait by the phone every minute of the day. Maybe the program director got nervous because he/she didn't know what to say, and then he/she started thinking about how you would analyze every syllable of his/her message, and he/she is now posting on PDN.net asking his/her colleagues advice about if and when he/she should call you back...!

I have missed a few calls from program directors/chairmen and they did not always leave messages.

You can do what I did: call in the evening and dial *67 before the number--that will make your number unidentifiable to most caller ID programs.

I have missed a few calls from program directors/chairmen and they did not always leave messages.

You can do what I did: call in the evening and dial *67 before the number--that will make your number unidentifiable to most caller ID programs.

dude that always looks shady. When you dont pick up or miss a call and then within the same night you call back from a private number and their phone says private-most can deduce that it is you trying to see who it wasa and makes you just look dumb ( no offense-just a saying)

I did reverse search it however-and thanks by the way I did not even know that existed. And it was a cell phone definetly in the area of my school down to the exact sub-city-so likely someone-good or bad who knows. Means anything or nothing, who knows-they call everyone? Who knows-What I do know is I will pick up the damn phone next time:)

Dude, just call them back. I have received two calls from PDs and both times they seemed nervous and uncomfortable. If they are calling you, You are in the drivers seat.
good Luck

How about this- are you satisfied with your ROL? Would a simple phone call change the rankings? I would be shocked if you not answering the phone somehow made you less attractive to the program. So, I don't really think the ball is in your court right now. Aside from feeling good for a few days, the conversation on the phone may well have very little impact on March 15.

note: I generally find it really creepy when someone calls me back and says, "Did someone just call here? I saw this number on my Caller ID." That doesn't make you look very confident. If they want to speak with you, they will get in touch.

I've gotten calls from residents at several programs these past few weeks. It's probably not a coincidence!

Hey sophie what do the residents say? Or the PDs for that matter for those who have recieved calls? I have already told the PD they are my number 1 about 2.5 weeks ago or so, so its not like they need to inquire about how I feel about them. Just curious how those conversations go? Do you think they call everyone just to try to make sure enough people rank them? It is a really good program so I do not see they would have trouble anyway but who knows!

p.s-yes totally wierd when someone calls me back-I hate when people do that-that is why it did not even cross my mind. That reverse search thing was handy though!

Anyway thanks for the info-its nice to feel good for a few days even if it does not mean anything, it helps get through this stressful month!

Hey sophie what do the residents say? Or the PDs for that matter for those who have recieved calls? I have already told the PD they are my number 1 about 2.5 weeks ago or so, so its not like they need to inquire about how I feel about them. Just curious how those converAnyway thanks for the info-its nice to feel good for a few days even if it does not mean anything, it helps get through this stressful month!

i wouldn't worry then, since you already informed them of your number 1 decision.. and if it isn't going to change your ROL then dont worry. although it's impossible try to relax and be stress free.

I truly envy you folks. I'll admit it, but envy in the "wish it were me" sense as opposed to "hate your guts" sense.

You should read the threads on the mostly IMG-dominated boards.
They (me being one) are consumed with the likes of: Did they reply to your thank you note; or if they received a reply, was it from the PD or PC; or the PD wrote this- what does it mean; or what are my chances?

You folks are being inundated with sales pitches per telephone.
Talk about first and second class.
Loud and clear.
Over and out.

haha no no surgery for me-I had a few posts on your boards because I saw some interesting posts-but not me!

Thanks for the info-sounds like it could be a call-but what about leaving no message? Would not someone leave a message? And would this look bad that I missed the call?

Huh...sorry, I could have sworn you said you were applying for surgery.

Anyway, I don't know why someone wouldn't leave a message. Maybe they were in a rush, maybe your voicemail was malfunctioning, maybe they are phone shy, maybe it was even a wrong number. Who knows.

I don't think it looks particularly bad that you didn't return the call - after all they didn't leave a message. If they want to talk to you, they'll call again and/or leave a message.

wow, i am so glad that i'm done with this phase of my life. i feel your pain, man. its funny how paranoid and hyper we get during this process of residency/fellowship applications. i hope that you got in touch with the PD and got good news.

dude that always looks shady. When you dont pick up or miss a call and then within the same night you call back from a private number and their phone says private-most can deduce that it is you trying to see who it wasa and makes you just look dumb ( no offense-just a saying)

All the calls I received from a chair/PD where they didn't leave a message came from the office, so it's not like I am calling them at home and hanging up on them or that I am the only one calling the education office. They have no way of knowing it is me (or you, for that matter) We are not the only people they are calling, I can guarantee you that! I, like you, was just curious who was calling me (it never even occurred to me that it might be a program calling until I got the hospital directory when I called back)

You asked for advice when you were so stressed out over an unknown phone call that you posted on an internet message board, and then call someone who offers advice "shady" and "dumb." Chill out, man...I'm just trying to survive the same game as you! :)

All the calls I received from a chair/PD where they didn't leave a message came from the office, so it's not like I am calling them at home and hanging up on them or that I am the only one calling the education office. They have no way of knowing it is me (or you, for that matter) We are not the only people they are calling, I can guarantee you that! I, like you, was just curious who was calling me (it never even occurred to me that it might be a program calling until I got the hospital directory when I called back)

You asked for advice when you were so stressed out over an unknown phone call that you posted on an internet message board, and then call someone who offers advice "shady" and "dumb." Chill out, man...I'm just trying to survive the same game as you! :)

haha I am sorry, that is why I said I didnot mean you were dumb-I just lacked a better word-atleast in my experience that has happened to me and nothing is more akward and senseless than someone calling back saying" ya I saw this number on my cell" I mean If I call someone, accident or not and then do not talk to them. If I need to talk to them I will call back again or leave a message. I dont know it just is akward sometimes-nothing against you homey-I hear ya, surviving this last month and next few weeks is hellish-march match day (march madness for medstudents) will either make my life and I will be thrilled or will feel dismal-no pressure

''All the calls I received from a chair/PD where they didn't leave a message came from the office, so it's not like I am calling them at home and hanging up on them or that I am the only one calling the education office. They have no way of knowing it is me (or you, for that matter)''

Careful there. I got an evening call from a PD (8pm). We were chatting and it came out that he was in town for a conference and was calling from his cell phone. They probably will call from work but you can't always assume that they will call from the office.

''All the calls I received from a chair/PD where they didn't leave a message came from the office, so it's not like I am calling them at home and hanging up on them or that I am the only one calling the education office. They have no way of knowing it is me (or you, for that matter)''

Careful there. I got an evening call from a PD (8pm). We were chatting and it came out that he was in town for a conference and was calling from his cell phone. They probably will call from work but you can't always assume that they will call from the office.

I will echo this... one of the PDs of a program was in town and called me from his cell phone to see if I would be around to go to dinner.