Crazy End of Cycle? (or not...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabeplumber

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've seen adcoms say that there is a big increase in apps. Yet there seems to be some uncertainly if this is due to a greater rise than usual in the number of applicants, or a rise in the number of schools people have applied to (the rise in the rate of first time applicants almost doubled from 2012 to 2013, but actually dropped in half from 2013 to 2014 https://www.aamc.org/download/411642/data/10282014.pdf; I think by 2014 they mean last cycle as they also have a graphic for 2014 matriculants).

I guess if people have applied to more schools there can be a hectic finish to the season as people drop multiple acceptances.

Or it's just tons of people avoiding the new MCAT?

I guess it is all speculation now. I would think it's the latter because it's hard to see why people suddenly decided to apply to more schools than usual.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I wnder when the number for this year will be released

Members don't see this ad :)
I kinda wish we were seeing a play by play.

I have a feeling some schools, especially some of the 'lower tiered' MD schools are pretty damn overwhelmed right now.

Reactions: 1 users
I kinda wish we were seeing a play by play.

I have a feeling some schools, especially some of the 'lower tiered' MD schools are pretty damn overwhelmed right now.

Here is some play by play from an ADCOM's diary*:

"Nov 5. Went through another 47 applications while sipping a pick-me-up bourbon. Couldn't tell one from the other, except for the guy who wrote so eloquently about witnessing his grandparent's colonoscopies. He's definitely in - it showed that he can really keep himself focused even in rough situations.

Otherwise, I'll just give all those who's last name starts with the letter "p" an interview. Go Packers". (sip)

*this account is fictional, and is an insult to the hard work of ADCOMS. It is only meant to reflect the twisted mind of Green Bay Packer fans.

Reactions: 6 users
According to gyngyn on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-panic-thread.1093728/page-15#post-15836778

It seems more people are applying broadly so that may mean more people will come off the waitlist this year. But, you need an II first. With people applying to more schools, IIs are also hard to come by. It's a trade-off.

I think GynGyn misread the table; I'm pretty sure it was for last cycle. She is quoting the 2014 number for applicants, but the same document has a number for 2014 matriculants, so seems to be for last cycle.

It just doesn't seem to be likely that suddenly people woke up and decided to apply much more broadly then last year

I think GynGyn misread the table; I'm pretty sure it was for last cycle. She is quoting the 2014 number for applicants, but the same document has a number for 2014 matriculants, so seems to be for last cycle.
It just doesn't seem to be likely that suddenly people woke up and decided to apply much more broadly then last year

comment?

Prob more apps overall

Last edited:
Hopefully this means the WLs will move furiously in the Spring!

Reactions: 2 users
AAMC holds it annual meeting in early November and the report for the previous cycle (i.e. matriculants earlier that year) come out at the time of the annual meeting.

Reactions: 1 user

Gyngyn's a man :D

AAMC holds it annual meeting in early November and the report for the previous cycle (i.e. matriculants earlier that year) come out at the time of the annual meeting.

That's what I thought. I bet the increase this year will be huge.

My wily old Admissions dean suspects that it's "avoid the new MCAT like Ebola" mania.

So I've seen adcoms say that there is a big increase in apps. Yet there seems to be some uncertainly if this is due to a greater rise than usual in the number of applicants, or a rise in the number of schools people have applied to (the rise in the rate of first time applicants almost doubled from 2012 to 2013, but actually dropped in half from 2013 to 2014 https://www.aamc.org/download/411642/data/10282014.pdf; I think by 2014 they mean last cycle as they also have a graphic for 2014 matriculants).

I guess if people have applied to more schools there can be a hectic finish to the season as people drop multiple acceptances.

Or it's just tons of people avoiding the new MCAT?

I guess it is all speculation now. I would think it's the latter because it's hard to see why people suddenly decided to apply to more schools than usual.

Reactions: 1 users