Crazy Pre-meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If it was like, "Oh hey guys, so I just went to the classroom early to get some last minute cramming in and there was a note on the door that said class was cancelled for today. The weather sucks and I know I didn't really wanna get up this morning, so I thought I'd let you all know via email to save you the trouble. Looks like we have a few more days to study, then!" Then I might believe it. I'd feel like it was a bit weird, and I might double check, but it's hard for me to instantly assume that a seemingly nice gesture is actually a manipulation.
 
If it was like, "Oh hey guys, so I just went to the classroom early to get some last minute cramming in and there was a note on the door that said class was cancelled for today. The weather sucks and I know I didn't really wanna get up this morning, so I thought I'd let you all know via email to save you the trouble. Looks like we have a few more days to study, then!" Then I might believe it. I'd feel like it was a bit weird, and I might double check, but it's hard for me to instantly assume that a seemingly nice gesture is actually a manipulation.

Agree with ^

I would love to trust others and feel that people are inherently "good". However, I'm too much of a realist to fall for that nonsense.....:laugh:

I agree with both of these. I used to believe that people were inherently good but now I just think that humans are inherently selfish until we are "properly socialized".

But despite believing this, I think I ultimately would have fell victim to that email as well. Especially if it was an early morning exam and I was already tired from pulling an all nighter.

It's hard NOT to be gullible when you've been awake for the last 48 hours. 😛
 
I don't know, I might have still shown up for the test, but I've never been in an environment that would make me suspect someone would pull crap like that. Not til I read stuff on here anyway. I just can't comprehend wanting something bad enough to throw other people under the bus to get it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let's see, I see a lot more crazy pre-meds in NYC than I ever did at ASU. Just dumb pre-meds there....

1) Pre-med "expects" (his wording) to be an author on a paper after doing me the favor of downloading a list of publications and titling them. Of note, pre-med had the opportunity to participate more fully in the project, but chose to spend 4 out of every 5 lab days shadowing.

2) High school pre-med who asked female medical students and residents about their sexual experiences.

3) High school pre-med who claimed to have past sexual encounters with transvestite strippers.

4) Standard pre-meds who were very pushy about knowing everyones stats on past standardized exams.

5) Overly superior pre-med who commented to me that I must have found it really hard getting into medical school coming from ASU 🙄. Same pre-med was "choosing" to go to public uni because "they had a better neuroscience program than the Ivies".

6) Pre-med who took repeated tours of the medical school during his interview season to "demonstrate interest", despite not being invited to interview.

7) Pre-med who was waitlisted that showed up to revisit weekend uninvited and forced a second interview out of the dean of admissions.

8) Pre-med who wanted an expense account after being explicitly told that her position was volunteering in nature.

At bama it was pretty much the same. There was one student that was being interviewed for a shadowing placement who professed that he wanted the shadowing position "to get his hands bloody." Yeahhhh, about that. Crazy amounts of arrogance and flirting with the interviewer too. Seemed like a textbook psychopath. There was also a freshman who stared at another one of the student interviewer's tits for the entire 15 minutes. Not like mad cleavage can't turn away. Sweaterboob. 15 minutes of unbroken stare at interviewer sweaterboob. Will post more if I can think of any, but these are the ones that have stuck
 
I don't know, I might have still shown up for the test, but I've never been in an environment that would make me suspect someone would pull crap like that. Not til I read stuff on here anyway. I just can't comprehend wanting something bad enough to throw other people under the bus to get it.

Not only that, but I cant imagine taking that sort of a risk. If Neurosis would've had a more "justice-driven" professor, that student could have easily been expelled. Isn't this something that could fall under the category of "academic dishonesty"? The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that that student was slighty psychotic. :scared:
 
At bama it was pretty much the same. There was one student that was being interviewed for a shadowing placement who professed that he wanted the shadowing position "to get his hands bloody." Yeahhhh, about that. Crazy amounts of arrogance and flirting with the interviewer too. Seemed like a textbook psychopath. There was also a freshman who stared at another one of the student interviewer's tits for the entire 15 minutes. Not like mad cleavage can't turn away. Sweaterboob. 15 minutes of unbroken stare at interviewer sweaterboob. Will post more if I can think of any, but these are the ones that have stuck

😱 :laugh:

Now I'm FINALLY starting to understand the purpose of interviews. There are a lot of creepy people out there. :laugh:
 
There was this one occasion where a girl mailed the entire class on the day of an exam and told everyone class was canceled. Needless to say, a large majority of the class *including me* fell for it, ended up getting Fs with no chance of a retake because apparently it was our own responsibility. I don't think the girl as crazy, crafty and coniving yes, gunner? definitely. but not really crazy.

You could have your classmates who failed the exam all sign a letter to every MD and DO school in the country telling them what this girl did. Anyway, that would never fly at my undergrad. Also, I can't think of a single professor I had who wouldn't have been understanding enough to let us make up the exam.
 
There was this one occasion where a girl mailed the entire class on the day of an exam and told everyone class was canceled. Needless to say, a large majority of the class *including me* fell for it, ended up getting Fs with no chance of a retake because apparently it was our own responsibility. I don't think the girl as crazy, crafty and coniving yes, gunner? definitely. but not really crazy.

And nothing happened to this girl?
 
A 'gunner' at my school was one most unbearable human beings I've ever been around.. she was in a few of my classes, then about midway through the semester I noticed she stopped coming to any of our mutual classes. I later find out that she did what most of us only think about doing.. she flipped out on our physics professor for giving her a bad grade and punched him in the square in the face. Needless to say she was kicked out of school and charged with assault.
 
...I'm not sure how rare this is, but I've known a few h.s. students that were trying to get university research gigs lined up will still in high school. It didn't work out well.
 
A 'gunner' at my school was one most unbearable human beings I've ever been around.. she was in a few of my classes, then about midway through the semester I noticed she stopped coming to any of our mutual classes. I later find out that she did what most of us only think about doing.. she flipped out on our physics professor for giving her a bad grade and punched him in the square in the face. Needless to say she was kicked out of school and charged with assault.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:... I love it when irrational people claim that they were "given" a bad grade on an objective exam. They never stop to thinkthat maybe they earned a bad grade. 🙄

And then to assault the professor???...wow. The human race will never cease to amaze me. 😕
 
A 'gunner' at my school was one most unbearable human beings I've ever been around.. she was in a few of my classes, then about midway through the semester I noticed she stopped coming to any of our mutual classes. I later find out that she did what most of us only think about doing.. she flipped out on our physics professor for giving her a bad grade and punched him in the square in the face. Needless to say she was kicked out of school and charged with assault.

Wow....over a bad grade!!! Reminds me of some of my fellow premeds who would stand and argue for hours about points missed on a quiz and tell the professor "This may not be a big deal to you, but you're playing with my life right now".

Dude, it's a 5 point quiz.....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a psychology professor tell me that girl in his intro psych class had her mom call him and tell him he needed to change her daughter's B to an A because she was trying to get into medical school and couldn't have B's. He told her mom that if she wanted to get into medical school she should try showing up to class regularly and studying more because it was going to take a lot of discipline to get in and she didn't have it yet.
 
I had a psychology professor tell me that girl in his intro psych class had her mom call him and tell him he needed to change her daughter's B to an A because she was trying to get into medical school and couldn't have B's. He told her mom that if she wanted to get into medical school she should try showing up to class regularly and studying more because it was going to take a lot of discipline to get in and she didn't have it yet.

Perfect response
 
I had a psychology professor tell me that girl in his intro psych class had her mom call him and tell him he needed to change her daughter's B to an A because she was trying to get into medical school and couldn't have B's. He told her mom that if she wanted to get into medical school she should try showing up to class regularly and studying more because it was going to take a lot of discipline to get in and she didn't have it yet.

👍 wow
 
Sort of. I don't think going to class regularly is necessary or should even be expected. I almost never go to class atm and some med schools actually make it so you don't have to go to class. 👍

It depends on the class content and set up I think. This class involved a lot of group work and participation stuff that you had to attend for points. Knowing that from the syllabus, I think you'd know you needed to show up on those scheduled days.



But that's minor details, can you imagine having your mom call a prof to change a grade? On the other hand, I've known some overbearing parents that would call without their child's consent because they think they know best... I know one who set up her freshman daughters class schedule, got copies of all her syllabi, wrote her weekly study and chore schedules, and emailed her reminders about deadlines. I was like, wow 😱 I'd totally cut mom off at that point. (and she was not pre-med btw) Got sooo many stories about that woman.
 
It depends on the class content and set up I think. This class involved a lot of group work and participation stuff that you had to attend for points. Knowing that from the syllabus, I think you'd know you needed to show up on those scheduled days.



But that's minor details, can you imagine having your mom call a prof to change a grade? On the other hand, I've known some overbearing parents that would call without their child's consent because they think they know best... I know one who set up her freshman daughters class schedule, got copies of all her syllabi, wrote her weekly study and chore schedules, and emailed her reminders about deadlines. I was like, wow 😱 I'd totally cut mom off at that point. (and she was not pre-med btw) Got sooo many stories about that woman.

If that was the case, then yes it class attendance should be mandatory. I just hate when I have a professor who requires you to go to class and then just reads from his powerpoint. Waste of my time.

And some parents need to stop living vicariously through their children. It's unhealthy for both of them.
 
It depends on the class content and set up I think. This class involved a lot of group work and participation stuff that you had to attend for points. Knowing that from the syllabus, I think you'd know you needed to show up on those scheduled days.



But that's minor details, can you imagine having your mom call a prof to change a grade? On the other hand, I've known some overbearing parents that would call without their child's consent because they think they know best... I know one who set up her freshman daughters class schedule, got copies of all her syllabi, wrote her weekly study and chore schedules, and emailed her reminders about deadlines. I was like, wow 😱 I'd totally cut mom off at that point. (and she was not pre-med btw) Got sooo many stories about that woman.

Yeah, some parents believe that they have a right to control your college life since they are paying for it. 🙄 Personally, I'd rather max out on student loans.
 
Yeah, some parents believe that they have a right to control your college life since they are paying for it. 🙄 Personally, I'd rather max out on student loans.

Same here. I guess it's just a matter of preference. My parents couldn't afford to pay for college anyway, so there wasn't really a question as to whether they'd have any influence on my major.

Personally, I think it's kind of crappy for a parent to say to their kid, "I'm paying for college so that means I get to control your life and future," but I'm also from a non-immigrant American family and my views are probably colored by my culture. My parents have always supported my siblings and I in our pursuits. Even when I told my mom that I'd decided to do a post-bacc for med school after having disavowed all math and science my senior year of high school, she didn't say I told you so. 😀 I'm pretty fortunate, I think.
 
Same here. I guess it's just a matter of preference. My parents couldn't afford to pay for college anyway, so there wasn't really a question as to whether they'd have any influence on my major.

Personally, I think it's kind of crappy for a parent to say to their kid, "I'm paying for college so that means I get to control your life and future," but I'm also from a non-immigrant American family and my views are probably colored by my culture. My parents have always supported my siblings and I in our pursuits. Even when I told my mom that I'd decided to do a post-bacc for med school after having disavowed all math and science my senior year of high school, she didn't say I told you so. 😀 I'm pretty fortunate, I think.

Yes you are lucky. 😀 But I agree that parents with the "my money, my rules" attitude seem to, disproportionately, be immigrants. 😛
 
Same here. I guess it's just a matter of preference. My parents couldn't afford to pay for college anyway, so there wasn't really a question as to whether they'd have any influence on my major.

Personally, I think it's kind of crappy for a parent to say to their kid, "I'm paying for college so that means I get to control your life and future," but I'm also from a non-immigrant American family and my views are probably colored by my culture. My parents have always supported my siblings and I in our pursuits. Even when I told my mom that I'd decided to do a post-bacc for med school after having disavowed all math and science my senior year of high school, she didn't say I told you so. 😀 I'm pretty fortunate, I think.

I think it is a terrible attitude to have. I like my roommates dad's philosophy "as long as you're happy, you could be a janitor for all I care".
 
My wife used to be an academic adviser. She said she had moms come in with their kids all the time. And it wasn't just the freshmen students either...
 
:laugh::laugh::laugh:... I love it when irrational people claim that they were "given" a bad grade on an objective exam. They never stop to thinkthat maybe they earned a bad grade. 🙄

And then to assault the professor???...wow. The human race will never cease to amaze me. 😕
we're still the most intelligent and civilized species though...
 
Yes you are lucky. 😀 But I agree that parents with the "my money, my rules" attitude seem to, disproportionately, be immigrants. 😛
I come from an immigrant family where 5 people in my family are doctors (and one medical student, 2 dentists and 1 dental student, a pharmacist, 3 engineers (all masters), an NP, and 2 successfull business people. All of them are practicing full time right now. My parents' advice to me? Go into a field that actually gets you a job, but the important thing is that you enjoy it. Nothing about 'hardcore prestige" or "big money." And they're paying for 100% of my expenses/tuition/fees/everything and everything.
 
I was once told by a fellow student that if we ended up at the same medical school he would be so disgusted that he would just have to kill me....




you can imagine my panic when I ate some jellybeans he offered me last week (no side effects yet....)
 
I think it's stupid to not go to class regularly. I mean you're paying for it, why would you waste it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's stupid to not go to class regularly. I mean you're paying for it, why would you waste it?
I think very often you're paying for the structured studying that the school provides + taking exams to pass courses and get the degree. < This is true in medical school.

In undergrad you're more so paying for the exams and GPA/degree to get into med and nothing more.
 
I think very often you're paying for the structured studying that the school provides + taking exams to pass courses and get the degree. < This is true in medical school.

In undergrad you're more so paying for the exams and GPA/degree to get into med and nothing more.

Disagree. You're paying for them to organize and provide you with the information you need to learn, and for a degree. Why would I need to pay for someone to structure my studying when I could do it much more effectively. I know how I like learn better than an institution possibly could.
 
Because I don't learn anything from lecture, and I find it to be a waste of time. Not all people have the same learning style as you 🙄

That's nice. But I was simply stating my opinion on it and the question I asked was rhetorical. Nvr did I say anything about other learning styles champ
 
That's nice. But I was simply stating my opinion on it and the question I asked was rhetorical. Nvr did I say anything about other learning styles champ

Simply stating your opinion huh?

I think it's stupid to not go to class regularly. I mean you're paying for it, why would you waste it?

I'd say this is more of an attack on people who prefer not to go to class. I have an independent learning style, someone lecturing to me really doesn't do anything good for me, hence I don't want to go to class. Does this make me stupid as you say? Or are you just ignorant?
 
Simply stating your opinion huh?



I'd say this is more of an attack on people who prefer not to go to class. I have an independent learning style, someone lecturing to me really doesn't do anything good for me, hence I don't want to go to class. Does this make me stupid as you say? Or are you just ignorant?

Nope just makes you overly sensitive apparently. But to each his own I suppose.
 
I think it's stupid to not go to class regularly. I mean you're paying for it, why would you waste it?

If it is a class where the professor is reading directly from the slides or from the book then it may be better to spend the time reading/ studying at home. I know for my genetics class I've figured out that you don't need to go to class to do well and in reading the book 3 hours a week is a better use of your time and likely a better prep than lecture where the material is diluted by anecdotes, pauses, and other things.
I generally attend class though, I'm more of the reading before class, go to class, reread after class type.
 
That's nice. But I was simply stating my opinion on it and the question I asked was rhetorical. Nvr did I say anything about other learning styles champ

People tend to be sensitive when you insinuate that your methods are better than theirs, especially when they likely aren't working as effectively.
 
People tend to be sensitive when you insinuate that your methods are better than theirs, especially when they likely aren't working as effectively.

I didn't insinuate anything. I gave my opinion brah. I never said anything thing about you or your independent style. If it works for you, cool. But I really don't care. I said I think it's stupid to not go to class since you are paying for it. If I'm going to dish out ungodly amounts of tuition $$$, then you better believe I'll be in class since you don't know exactly when that professor will give you a freebie or two that will help on a test or give you an alternate explanation to something you are having trouble dealing with
 
shhhh! you wouldn't want to insult someone's learning style would you?!?!?! 😛

Sigh... I guess I'll just leave it at this. Some people find professors and lecture utterly and completely useless. They can learn better on their own, so they don't go to class. Don't think because of this you're a better student or value your education more than them, because this is not a valid assumption. And you pay for the degree, the actual lecture is free and anyone can go.
 
I come from an immigrant family where 5 people in my family are doctors (and one medical student, 2 dentists and 1 dental student, a pharmacist, 3 engineers (all masters), an NP, and 2 successfull business people. All of them are practicing full time right now. My parents' advice to me? Go into a field that actually gets you a job, but the important thing is that you enjoy it. Nothing about 'hardcore prestige" or "big money." And they're paying for 100% of my expenses/tuition/fees/everything and everything.

Cool story bro.
 
we're still the most intelligent and civilized species though...

It depends on your definition of "intelligent" and "civilized".

I come from an immigrant family where 5 people in my family are doctors (and one medical student, 2 dentists and 1 dental student, a pharmacist, 3 engineers (all masters), an NP, and 2 successfull business people. All of them are practicing full time right now. My parents' advice to me? Go into a field that actually gets you a job, but the important thing is that you enjoy it. Nothing about 'hardcore prestige" or "big money." And they're paying for 100% of my expenses/tuition/fees/everything and everything.

👍

I was once told by a fellow student that if we ended up at the same medical school he would be so disgusted that he would just have to kill me....




you can imagine my panic when I ate some jellybeans he offered me last week (no side effects yet....)

😱 Wait.. Did you eat the jellybeans BEFORE or AFTER he insulted your intelligence. If it was AFTER, I see his point. :meanie: j/k j/k

If it is a class where the professor is reading directly from the slides or from the book then it may be better to spend the time reading/ studying at home. I know for my genetics class I've figured out that you don't need to go to class to do well and in reading the book 3 hours a week is a better use of your time and likely a better prep than lecture where the material is diluted by anecdotes, pauses, and other things.
I generally attend class though, I'm more of the reading before class, go to class, reread after class type.

Yeah, it totally depends on the person. When I had profs that would read from the book, I would stop showing up too. But I found that I do better and save time when I DON'T read and instead tape-record the class and then use the recording to make a detailed study guide afterwards.

But this is only more efficient for me b/c I get distracted VERY easily. My new method take 3 hours per lecture while my old method (reading + making a study guide from each assigned chapter) takes 12 hours. 🙁 I also realized that although some professors read directly from the book, they will omit the things they aren't going to test on, so I no longer waste time learning unnecessary info. So, yea, it TOTALLY depends on the person, but I understand your point of view. 👍

I didn't insinuate anything. I gave my opinion brah. I never said anything thing about you or your independent style. If it works for you, cool. But I really don't care. I said I think it's stupid to not go to class since you are paying for it. If I'm going to dish out ungodly amounts of tuition $$$, then you better believe I'll be in class since you don't know exactly when that professor will give you a freebie or two that will help on a test or give you an alternate explanation to something you are having trouble dealing with

Dude.. U dont have to go on the defense. Just take a breath and acknowledge the fact that you made an "unwise" decision to label anyone who makes a personal choice not to go to class as "stupid". It's okay to admit when you are wrong.

As my favorite Teletubby would say "BIG hhhhhhug". :laugh:
 
I come from an immigrant family where 5 people in my family are doctors (and one medical student, 2 dentists and 1 dental student, a pharmacist, 3 engineers (all masters), an NP, and 2 successfull business people. All of them are practicing full time right now. My parents' advice to me? Go into a field that actually gets you a job, but the important thing is that you enjoy it. Nothing about 'hardcore prestige" or "big money." And they're paying for 100% of my expenses/tuition/fees/everything and everything.

Anyone else want to share their legal status in the country, profession of their entire family and last but not least financial situation for their school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else want to share their legal status in the country, profession of their entire family and last but not least financial situation for their school?

Oo oo oo ME ME ME!!

BORN U.S. Citizen!
---jealous much?
EVERYBODY's unemployed!
---before and after the recession
I THINK you can figure out how my tuition is being paid from above.
---maxed to the rim BABY!
 
I think this kind of thing belongs here...

There is this kid, pre-med freshman like myself, in a few of my classes who is OBSESSED with getting >100% on everything. He does this to the point where it is disruptive to his classmates. For example, he'll theatrically sob and loudly moan about how disappointed he is with his scores until someone asks what he got. If nobody asks, he'll eventually offer up the information himself by saying something like, "I only got 100. I missed the extra credit point. This is TERRIBLE." He does this right in front of people who got Cs or lower, too, without any apology or explanation for his blatant disrespect.

If he did only that, then okay, maybe I could understand. He's got high standards for himself. But when he starts criticizing other people for not having the same expectations about their scores, I get upset. I was once talking with this girl about a hard chem test that she had just gotten back, and she was telling me how proud of herself she was for getting a 90. This kid swoops down and exclaims how horrible her score is and how embarrassed she must be. He then says, no joke, "I would be SO ASHAMED if I had gotten a 90. Like, I'd want to kill myself. Wow. You need a tutor. You really need tutoring. I can help you, if you want. You just really need it." And this girl just sat there, so shocked and upset and offended that he had completely undermined her happiness. I tried to stand up for her, but it was just really awkward. He'll also interrupt conversations in which someone is talking about how hard their class is to profess about how easy it is.

He and I are on friendly terms, so I've mentioned to him before that he should maybe not talk so openly about his evaluations of classes / grades, but he doesn't seem to understand. Or care. I think he has some serious self-esteem issues. He pretends to be in distress just for the sake of bragging a lot of the time, which is very frustrating. I've taken to sharply veering in the opposite direction if I see him coming.

Sorry to vent, I'm just really annoyed with the attitude and inconsiderateness of some people! Hopefully they are very much the minority in medical school 🙂


Ummm...this sounds like Paris from "Gilmore Girls".... :laugh: