crazy story?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BruinDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a story about some wasted talent- hopefully some of you pre-dents out there can garner something from this, namely...DON'T BE LIKE ME!!

I was an evolution and ecology major at UC Riverside from Fall of 2000 to Spring of 2002. It was during this time that I got A's in General Chemistry and Bio, making the coveted A+ in both Chem 1B and Chem 1C. Honors society, dean's list for 4 out of 6 quarters...earning a rare intercampus transfer to UCLA via the Spanish major (placed into upper division spanish out of high school).

It was during the first quarter at UCLA that my mom got struck with cancer. When all of that got resolved, I looked up to find I had earned 2 F's (1st term organic chem, calc 4). I tried to bounce back the following term, but was unable to due to my failure to recognize the cut-throat atmosphere I was surrounded by at UCLA, earning a 2.4 GPA the following term. Spring, tried again, got 2 more C's in Organic and physics, though I was tutoring people in my class who ended up getting A's and B's. I would study 8-9 hours every day. That summer I got a 92 percent on my first biochem midterm, but it was only a C+ because the mean for that one was 96. I don't know where I went wrong.

The last 2 years, I've just been drifting along, studyin 4 hours a day, getting all B's and C's in UD Biology, just lowering my standards cuz I don't want to have a nervous breakdown every time grades come out. Yes, I did a research project in molecular biology. Yes, I spent 2 years tutoring kids how to read every saturday in Watts, a low-income neighborhood. I sell dental supplies to the d-students, handpieces, burrs, typhodont teeth etc. I volunteer at the Dental clinic, doing rotations bet. patient intake/screening, chartroom etc....but the grades are just not going to be sufficient to get in.

Don't go to college at UCLA!!!

Members don't see this ad.

BruinDDS said:
Here's a story about some wasted talent- hopefully some of you pre-dents out there can garner something from this, namely...DON'T BE LIKE ME!!

I dunno how much "talent" you're talking about... I went to UCLA, took those same classes you were talking about, did nowhere near 8-9 hrs studying a day... did no where near 4 hours a day... in fact did not study at all unless it was the night+day before the midterm/final. And I mean literally, I have bona-fide strip club receipts at 3am the nights(mornings) before finals.

Pulled anywhere from C+s to Bs ...

Applied to dental school. Got into dental school.

Sorry to hear about your mother. UCLA's a great UG. I had a blast. However, from the suond of it, I would have to say that your academic abilities are subpar compared to your fellow classmates'.

Remember, just because you worked hard doesn't mean you did good enough work. Life is, unfortunately, unfair in its distribution of talents and abilities...

You're probably right...but I don't think we'd be talking about my subpar abilities had I stood at UCR and continued to dominate. Additionally, I don't think the 14 series was that bad compared to the 30 seires, my freind got B's in those classes even though he was recovering from brain surgery!