Crazy story..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

failedmagician

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if it's a repost..
Lawsuit: dentist dropped tools down man's throat

WINTER PARK, Fla. (AP) -- A Florida dentist is being sued for allegedly dropping tools down the throat of an elderly patient - twice.
Relatives of 90-year-old Charles Gaal Jr. recently filed the suit in circuit court accusing Dr. Wesley Meyers of negligence. An answering message at Meyers' office in Winter Park said Saturday that he was on vacation. He did not reply to a message from The Associated Press seeking comment.
The lawsuit says the doctor dropped an "implant screwdriver tool" in 2006 and a "mini-wrench" in 2007.
The suit also says Gaal underwent several medical procedures to remove the tools but never fully recovered. He died in 2007.
Meyers was fined $17,000 by the state a year later. The dentist was found negligent in a settlement.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_TOOL_DROPPING_DENTIST?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=ENTERTAINMENT

Members don't see this ad.

The dentists I shadowed all told me the same thing when I asked them about the dangers a dentist faces. One of the things they told me was dropping things down a patient's throat which can potentially block the wind pipe.

The dentists I shadowed all told me the same thing when I asked them about the dangers a dentist faces. One of the things they told me was dropping things down a patient's throat which can potentially block the wind pipe.
That's why we are taught to 'DamIt' at our school.. Place a rubber dam in every situation you can to avoid any unnecessary possible incident of dropping any tools, burs, prosthesis, restoration, etc. down a patients throat. If you don't use a rubber dam, at least place a piece of gauze in the back of the throat to catch small things.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually the only worry I thought about while thinking about dentistry. So there are materials that keep things from going into the throat?

hmm.. I do recall my dentist using that while pulling out my last baby tooth.