Creating a list of colleges

Anonamoose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm currently a junior in high school and I'm getting to the point where I need to start making a list of colleges to apply to but I'm stuck. I don't really know where to start and I need some advice. I'm interested in dentistry so I'm looking at schools that have dental programs or dental schools but other than that I'm lost. So if anyone has tips for finding schools or where to start they would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say build a list based off of:

- major(s) you'd most likely pursue
- academic support infrastructure for student success
- depth of alumni network (where they go, companies/grad schools/professional schools/etc.)
- cost (tuition, CoL of location, scholarships/financial aid)

Reactions: 1 users
Don't pick a college based on dental schools! You'll have to apply to schools all over the country after finishing the required classes and entrance exam. Odds that you stay at that same location aren't very high.

The first big thing to think about is cost - do you have an excellent state school (or several) that will be far less expensive than out of state or private alternatives?
If that doesn't mostly guide the decision, then you want to start thinking about school size (small liberal arts ed vs giant state school), location (urban vs suburban vs rural, on a coast vs the Midwest vs the South), strength of majors of interest
If you're a standout student with stellar test scores, then you might narrow it from there based on who awards merit scholarships / average financial aid packages

Reactions: 1 users