Creating a organ donation info program on campus: leadership? Big positive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iminindiana

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am thinking of creating a program on campus for organ donation awareness, something which would help a lot of peoples lives in the US.

I would set this up and give out papers and run the group - does this count as leadership? Would it be a big asset to my application to top US schools?

Any way I can improve on this idea or make it marketable?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

if you think it would be a good idea, and you want to do it, then do it. It is not a leadership experience - are you leading anyone? if you do something for the sake of getting into school, it's apparent during interviews. but if this is something you are passionate about, then by all means do it, and that passion during interviews and essays will show... and that's what will help. Also, if you have a pre-med club, ask the advisor if you can present to the club, or ask him/her for ideas

If you are attracting other members and are truly "running the group" it would be a leadership activity. How well it will reflect on you depends on how much you accomplish. I think it's a great idea, but needs to be more than handing out flyers. Maybe you can put together a talk and give presentations to other organizations (including off campus), man a booth at fairs, get your school's permission for semi-permanent posters, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you think it would be a good idea, and you want to do it, then do it. It is not a leadership experience - are you leading anyone? if you do something for the sake of getting into school, it's apparent during interviews. but if this is something you are passionate about, then by all means do it, and that passion during interviews and essays will show... and that's what will help. Also, if you have a pre-med club, ask the advisor if you can present to the club, or ask him/her for ideas

I am doing it just for medical school; albeit, it is something I am passionate about. However, if it helps me get into medical school and help people, its a win win.

If you are attracting other members and are truly "running the group" it would be a leadership activity. How well it will reflect on you depends on how much you accomplish. I think it's a great idea, but needs to be more than handing out flyers. Maybe you can put together a talk and give presentations to other organizations (including off campus), man a booth at fairs, get your school's permission for semi-permanent posters, etc.

I will be attracting membesr and running the group. I plan on handing out flyers, having meetings and setting up talks with other clubs, sending emails ect. It will be like a club, with me as a president.

What would be somethings that could really make this stand out into a very strong positive for my applications (EC wise)?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Its a great idea and it will look really good on an application especially if your passionate about it=]

Your activity sounds good, and as has been said it has the potential to be both a leadership and community service thing and all that. However, never admit to 'just doing something' for your med school app. Any activity you do, do it for a reason.... or in the case of the med school crap, there are always a variety of reasons to do anything like volunteering, shadowing, or taking the MCAT.... We do not go through that for the hell of it.

So spin it and make of it as Catalyst said. Affect change, grow your organization, (the presentation thing sounds great), and do some good with it. Make any activity you do in life worthwhile, even if it is counting beans, and if you cannot make something worthwhile and productive, then do not do it.

Get people on your wagon, make an organization, and educate about organ donation and the more stamps of approval you get from your university, or the greater amount of people you help to become organ donors the better, and by extension the better for you as a human being and then finally your app.

I am doing it just for medical school; albeit, it is something I am passionate about. However, if it helps me get into medical school and help people, its a win win.

I will be attracting membesr and running the group. I plan on handing out flyers, having meetings and setting up talks with other clubs, sending emails ect. It will be like a club, with me as a president.

What would be somethings that could really make this stand out into a very strong positive for my applications (EC wise)?

Thanks for your help!!!!

After reading this, I can't help but say it is a bad idea. There is more to starting and running an "official" student club than you understand, and if your only interest is to improve your application, you will almost always take the easy way out. Your club will be half-assed; you will end up always having more important priorities and, in the end, it is simply just an entry on AMCAS for you.

Also, you may or may not gain acceptance as an official club because your university will probably point you to your pre-health group. I can say with near certainty that my university would do this if I came to them with this kind of idea, because it sounds like more of a one-time event than an entire club that deserves additional university money. "Organ donation awareness" is very specific and would probably fit best as a new idea in an already existing club.

I'm guessing your EC's and/or leadership experience are weak and that is the reason why you came up with this idea. ADCOMs will see right through this. Even if they are completely naive to your tricks, it can only amount to a slight positive. One activity isn't going to significantly alter your application.