Technology creating database/web application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iphetamine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a personal website and would like to practice some database development and maybe javascript, but I'm out of ideas to begin with. So what kind of things would like to see in a web application?

Maybe having a number of patients where you could select and see their personal info, medical history, and medications used over time?

Is anyone else interested in this type of stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Databases are complex enough to warrant their own concentration/track in CS. That being said, a lot of that is focused on the mathematical side - organization, efficiency, design, etc.

To roll your own db for a quick app is easy. You just need a SQL server (mySQL is free, very popular, very well documented), and then pick a programming language of your choice to write the frontend in; if you were doing a webapp, look at the "P"'s: Perl, Python, PHP (there are many, many more).

As for hosting it...if you have webspace, check with your host. For a local development setup, you could install Ubuntu into a VM and install mySQL, Apache, PHP/Perl/Python, and test on that.

Hehe, I already know HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, and some JS and have MAMP installed but now i want something constructive to do, like a project or something.

seems like you know quite a bit on that..

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already have experience with mySQL and PHP then you should be in a good position to start playing around with some online web database projects.

I am definitely NOT a programmer, but while in undergrad learned enough about mySQL and PHP to put together an database for our school's pre-med group's website to keep track of members and volunteer hours. Really wasn't all that difficult. Most hosting plans have some sort of database and PHP support that can be enabled.

If you already have experience with mySQL and PHP then you should be in a good position to start playing around with some online web database projects.

I am definitely NOT a programmer, but while in undergrad learned enough about mySQL and PHP to put together an database for our school's pre-med group's website to keep track of members and volunteer hours. Really wasn't all that difficult. Most hosting plans have some sort of database and PHP support that can be enabled.

YESS!! but i dont know what to start with!?!? :p