Creative FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azael5petra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Any Family Med Docs get involved with workers comp, work as a clinical research physician, maybe being the doctor for a cruise ship, hospice doctor or work for a women's health facility? Also how safe did they feel working at a women's health facility esp if they performed abortions? How did you set up your retirement situations just picking an arena for a set period of time and or saving? I hear there is such a wide range of jobs for FM.

Members don't see this ad.

First, you would probably get better responses from the actual FM forum, so you may want to ask a mod to move this thread there.

I know FM docs that work with workers comp cases, as clinical researchers, as docs on cruise ships, and in hospice/palliative care (there's a FM fellowship for this and as far as I can tell they've expanded a lot over the years).

Worker's comp is a job almost any licensed doc could get. Any physician that seeks out research can be a clinical researcher, but your impact will depend on either the institution you're working for and/or your ability to get funding. The couple docs I know that worked on a cruise ship had friends, who were in the business. Plenty of FM docs in hospice/palliative care. Most residency programs I interviewed at had a hospice/palliative trained doc.

In addition to what hallowman said; at least two of the faculty I work with do abortions, I've not heard them talk about feeling or being unsafe.

Its definitely not my thing, but there's no reason someone who wants to do it, can't.

As for retirement: save, invest, pretend you're not bringing in 6 figures annually. If you're patient and deliberate in your job search, there are jobs with really amazing retirement plans. Mine comes with a great pension and 401k matching for example.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know an FM doc who owns and runs a WC company. He makes good money with it.