Applying OB/GYN and FM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help. So I am on my second to last rotation of my third year and its OB/GYN. I love it and I think that this is what I want to go into. This whole time I’ve been on the fam med train and have set up my 4th year schedule/auditions accordingly. I feel like its so late in the game to change and that I won’t be able to manage it. I have terrible step 1 scores (barely passed) and average COMLEX score. I feel like I will do better on step2/level 2, but we’ll wait and see. I checked the NRMP chart and I have a 47% chance of matching into OBGYN. I was thinking about dual applying to family medicine and OBGYN. Can anyone else who has done this give me some guidance? Should I cancel all my fam med auditions (2) and do OB? Is it worth it? Do I have a realistic chance of even getting OB with my **** scores? My application has nothing at all to do with OB/GYN because I never even thought about it. But I have plenty of research and extracurricular activities. Also, how accurate is the NMRP residency explorer page for OBGYN, because there are so many programs where my step 1 score falls in the “lower 25% of applicants matched?” Sorry if this was a lot.

Sincerely, a stressed out M3.

Members don't see this ad.

Consider gunning for FM residencies that have metric tons of OB.

Also if you were unaware, The List is a complication of OB heavy FM programs and OB fellowships:

Reactions: 1 users
I believe FM has FM Boards in Obstetrics with fellowship. More than a few FM programs with lots of OB. My son was in one, not his favorite though. Check the fellowship and GM programs out.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get OB auditions this late then do that. You will match FM without auditions. With having a low chance of matching Ob, you really should be auditioning to maximize that chance. Dual apply.