Applying OB/GYN and FM??

Started by Dr.12345
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr.12345

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need help. So I am on my second to last rotation of my third year and its OB/GYN. I love it and I think that this is what I want to go into. This whole time I’ve been on the fam med train and have set up my 4th year schedule/auditions accordingly. I feel like its so late in the game to change and that I won’t be able to manage it. I have terrible step 1 scores (barely passed) and average COMLEX score. I feel like I will do better on step2/level 2, but we’ll wait and see. I checked the NRMP chart and I have a 47% chance of matching into OBGYN. I was thinking about dual applying to family medicine and OBGYN. Can anyone else who has done this give me some guidance? Should I cancel all my fam med auditions (2) and do OB? Is it worth it? Do I have a realistic chance of even getting OB with my **** scores? My application has nothing at all to do with OB/GYN because I never even thought about it. But I have plenty of research and extracurricular activities. Also, how accurate is the NMRP residency explorer page for OBGYN, because there are so many programs where my step 1 score falls in the “lower 25% of applicants matched?” Sorry if this was a lot.



Sincerely, a stressed out M3.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you can get OB auditions this late then do that. You will match FM without auditions. With having a low chance of matching Ob, you really should be auditioning to maximize that chance. Dual apply.