credit cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MariaMaria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Seeing that I'll be spending a lot of money the next four year for tuition and everything else I'm starting to look into credit cards with miles, rewards and what not. Anyone else doing this as well?

I'm not exactly sure how this works because I haven't started optometry school yet but once I do in the fall, would it be smart to charge my tuition on cash-back credit cards? It sounds smart but I guess my real question is, is that possible? Are we able to pay tuition with credit cards and then use student loans to pay off my credit cards? The university I attend now charges a rate for doing so, so it ends up being a rip-off. If it is possible to charge tuition on a credit card I would definitely pay at the end of the month to avoid APR charges, etc.

Any advice or input would be great.

I'll most likely be at ICO next year so I'm going to be in some major debt!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this is everywhere but at PCO, they only give you the loan money left over after your tuition/fees are paid for the semester. From what I understand, the lender gives the money to PCO, PCO deducts what you owe them, then they refund you the rest. So, no I don't think you could pay for it with a CC (could you even get a limit that high anyway?)

I don't know if this is everywhere but at PCO, they only give you the loan money left over after your tuition/fees are paid for the semester. From what I understand, the lender gives the money to PCO, PCO deducts what you owe them, then they refund you the rest. So, no I don't think you could pay for it with a CC (could you even get a limit that high anyway?)

Same at SUNY, probably for most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the same at most schools, part of the rules of the loan programs.

I am not sure the policys of optometry schools and loan disbursement although I will have to educate myself quite soon.

Anyway, this does not mean you should abandon your edit card idea... It is a very very good idea.

Having your money work for you, while you basically do nothing will bring a smile to your face :)

Residuals baby!

I have an HSBC credit card that gives me 1 point for every dollar I spend. I am 20, I have had the hard for about 2 years, and I have roughly 9,000 points... (WHOA!)

I am planning to save up as many points as possible and then use the miles to fly to my interviews in Florida and California etc.

I have included a link below that tells you ALLLLL different types of credit cards and the rewards programs they offer...

Check it out because it is a REALLY smart move...

http://www.cardoffers.com/

-Matt

Hey everyone. Seeing that I'll be spending a lot of money the next four year for tuition and everything else I'm starting to look into credit cards with miles, rewards and what not. Anyone else doing this as well?

I'm not exactly sure how this works because I haven't started optometry school yet but once I do in the fall, would it be smart to charge my tuition on cash-back credit cards? It sounds smart but I guess my real question is, is that possible? Are we able to pay tuition with credit cards and then use student loans to pay off my credit cards? The university I attend now charges a rate for doing so, so it ends up being a rip-off. If it is possible to charge tuition on a credit card I would definitely pay at the end of the month to avoid APR charges, etc.

Any advice or input would be great.

I'll most likely be at ICO next year so I'm going to be in some major debt!

It's a great idea if you can do it without being charged an additional fee, but ICO does not accept credit card payment. Think about, it cost about 2% to process a transaction and that adds up to alot money for the schools.

As for having a high enough credit line; no problem - Tuition is paid in-installments and getting the limit up there is not that difficult. In one year I went from no credit in this country to 26,000 on one card.

Whether you're using it for tuition or not, having a cash back credit card is awesome during optometry school because of huge amounts of cash back you earn from all the expensive equipment you buy!!!