Credit For Research--BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgil

Hi hi!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started doing research at my university and it is being counted as a upper division Biology research credits. I'm planning on doing this until I apply (about 1.5-2 years from now). Will each of these credits (4 in the Spring, 4 in the Fall, 2 in the Summer, etc....at this rate I should have about 18 credits of research by the time I apply) all count towards my AMCAS BCPM science GPA since they're considered as upper division Biology research credits at my uni? And will they be counted as retakes or whatever since it's essentially the same call number/class over and over, semester after semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's a great way to boost your BCPM GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, mine counted as BCPM.

Hey,

I did biology research in a lab at MIT but the credit was under my major which was "Brain and Cog. Science" (neuroscience....at other schools).....it was neurobio research...and a lot of it....and for grades....will it count towards my BCPM ?

thanks,

~Y

Hey,

I did biology research in a lab at MIT but the credit was under my major which was "Brain and Cog. Science" (neuroscience....at other schools).....it was neurobio research...and a lot of it....and for grades....will it count towards my BCPM ?

thanks,

~Y
I think that you could classify your research credits as "biology" and get away with it. I called to ask about a similar situation and was told to classify the course based on its primary content. One of my examples was a writing class that dealt with organ transplants. It counts for my university's writing requirement, so I asked AMCAS specifically if I could call the class English - they said sure. They said they will generally give you the benefit of the doubt unless it seems totally wacky, like calling a language class physics or something.

I started doing research at my university and it is being counted as a upper division Biology research credits. I'm planning on doing this until I apply (about 1.5-2 years from now). Will each of these credits (4 in the Spring, 4 in the Fall, 2 in the Summer, etc....at this rate I should have about 18 credits of research by the time I apply) all count towards my AMCAS BCPM science GPA since they're considered as upper division Biology research credits at my uni? And will they be counted as retakes or whatever since it's essentially the same call number/class over and over, semester after semester?
Research credit at my school is Pass/Fail. So, it did not help my GPA. I don't think you'll have to worry about the credits being considered "retakes." AMCAS, I'm sure, has seen enough of these research call numbers to know them off the back of their hand :).

I think that you could classify your research credits as "biology" and get away with it. I called to ask about a similar situation and was told to classify the course based on its primary content. One of my examples was a writing class that dealt with organ transplants. It counts for my university's writing requirement, so I asked AMCAS specifically if I could call the class English - they said sure. They said they will generally give you the benefit of the doubt unless it seems totally wacky, like calling a language class physics or something.

thanks for the info!
i was worried because my research is listed under department of medicine

What if you do research in the nutrition or earth sciences department? would that count towards bcpm?