Credit rating hurts Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WishfulDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just signed up as a member today, because I need some help. I just found out that I did not get into Med School because of my credit rating. Has this been an issue for anyone else?
What schools do not require a credit check as a part of the Admissions Process?

Thanks for any info

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be extremely surprised if that was the real reason. It's the first time I hear anything like that.

Did they tell you that specifically? That totally stinks if so. Only advice I can give you is to boost your credit by getting a credit card with a low limit and paying it off ON TIME every month. There's other stuff as well, but I'm guessing you've already looked into that stuff.

I would go back if they specifically told you that and tell them you can get your parents to cosign (if they are willing). Regardless of what you do from here on out, you have to change the way you handle money if your credit is bad enough to be rejected solely because of it. Sorry for the lecture! I just hate to see someone rejected for something so non-medically related. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think that was the real reason you did not get accepted. How would they find out your cradit score anyway?

I just signed up as a member today, because I need some help. I just found out that I did not get into Med School because of my credit rating. Has this been an issue for anyone else?
What schools do not require a credit check as a part of the Admissions Process?

Thanks for any info

While this is rare, schools like Georgetown and MCW grant admission contingent on credit rating. That is, they will rescind your acceptance if you have bad credit. Most schools could care less since everyone qualifies for federal loans and you can qualify for GradPlus loan if you have a co-signer with good credit.

The school stated that a credit check was a part of the app process, but I never thought it would adversely effect me. (I don't have any defaults or a bankruptcy or anything like that.) I was behind on credit card payments intermittently in 2009. I support myself though. I don't have any family. As soon as I could get credit to help me with food and stuff, I got it.

Anyone know which schools don't require a credit check?

This is news to me too. Since there are two schools that require credit checks then all the others don't, I presume. That just seems shocking.

Wow. This cant be the entire reason you were rejected. Most undergrads have little to no real credit. And a few intermittant lates isnt going to kill your score most likely.

What school is this, OP?

Edit: After I search I see that MCW requires a credit check. This, however, isn't required until after you're accepted.

http://www.mcw.edu/medicalschool/creditreport.htm

You only have your acceptance withdrawn if you're not eligible for loans and you can't pay the tuition.

I don't see any other schools that require this, especially pre-acceptance.

Credit ratings affect a lot of things anymore.

You sign off for having it checked when applying for many jobs--along with a background checks and fingerprinting.

sounds trollish
There has been a few topics like this before.

To all those that say its hard to establish/undergrads have little credit... get a credit card and bill accounts in your name. In about a year I went from a low 600 to a mid-high 700 rating. The only thing holding me back from it going higher is all my student debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
There has been a few topics like this before.

To all those that say its hard to establish/undergrads have little credit... get a credit card and bill accounts in your name. In about a year I went from a low 600 to a mid-high 700 rating. The only thing holding me back from it going higher is all my student debt.

This is true. I just bought a home finally so ive been monitoring my credit constantly. Just paying off a 1000 dollar credit card and the remaining 8,000 of my second car increased my score 80 points.

It is still astonishing to me that a medical school would run a credit check on someone and reject them solely based on that.

This is news to me too. Since there are two schools that require credit checks then all the others don't, I presume. That just seems shocking.

It's true and the op is not a troll.

When I was looking into which schools I should apply to, I found that an acceptance from Duke is also contingent on a credit score check.

I thought this was abhorent and made a post about it on SDN titled "schools that do credit checks" or something to this effect.

I think this is absolute B.S. for soo many reasons... but that's another thread.

It's true and the op is not a troll.

When I was looking into which schools I should apply to, I found that an acceptance from Duke is also contingent on a credit score check.

I thought this was abhorent and made a post about it on SDN titled "schools that do credit checks" or something to this effect.

I think this is absolute B.S. for soo many reasons... but that's another thread.

Playing devil's advocate, but why is it B.S.? Are you owed a private school education?

Playing devil's advocate, but why is it B.S.? Are you owed a private school education?

Am I owed a private school education? How did you get that from "I don't think medical schools should rescind acceptances to people with low credit ratings?"

Anyhow. I think minorities, in general, have lower credit scores than caucasions. I would also think that poor people, in general, have lower credit scores than rich people.

So, poor people and minorities would be more affected by this kind of policy from a medical school and I think that, in general, that's a bad thing.

edit: Also, I really like the policy of most medical schools where they don't think that the ability to pay for medical school should prevent someone from becoming a doctor. I think this is reasonable.

(sorry if I'm not very articulate right now but I'm in hangover city from celebrations)

edit #2: The hardest part about medical school is getting in, not paying for it. There are many ways to pay for medical schools and not all of them require a good credit score.

A school invests much more in you than they receive in the form of compensation. If they know you can't get loans or can't pay part of your education there is no reason for them to admit you.

A school invests much more in you than they receive in the form of compensation. If they know you can't get loans or can't pay part of your education there is no reason for them to admit you.

I agree with these two statements.

A lot of people can get cosigners for loans, no? Then their credit rating wouldn't hurt them as much and then I think it's silly to be rejected based solely on that.

The whole thing is rather interesting. I can sort of see where med schools are coming from, but it still sort of sucks

I find it hard to believe that a med school would tell an applicant that they were rejected because of bad credit. Credit reports are not infallible. Plus, if they say that you were rejected because of a bad credit report, that implies that absent this report, you would have been accepted. If you can find fault with the credit report, or if you can establish that you have private funding for med school (parents, grandparents, etc), you should be admitted.

First, med schools rarely if ever tell rejected applicants exactly why they were rejected. It rarely is any one thing, and they do not want to open themselves up to lawsuits, either. They may hint at where you need to strengthen your app, but those are usually universally accepted areas that almost every applicant can strengthen.

You should get this med school to put the rejection, with the bad credit reasons, in writing. Then speak to a lawyer. Ask the med school which credit reporting agency they used, then ask that agency for a free report - whenever you are denied credit, you are entitled to a free report. You may be able to dispute the report of the agency in question - they may have made a mistake, or reported something false.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that a med school would tell an applicant that they were rejected because of bad credit. Credit reports are not infallible. Plus, if they say that you were rejected because of a bad credit report, that implies that absent this report, you would have been accepted. If you can find fault with the credit report, or if you can establish that you have private funding for med school (parents, grandparents, etc), you should be admitted.

First, med schools rarely if ever tell rejected applicants exactly why they were rejected. It rarely is any one thing, and they do not want to open themselves up to lawsuits, either. They may hint at where you need to strengthen your app, but those are usually universally accepted areas that almost every applicant can strengthen.

You should get this med school to put the rejection, with the bad credit reasons, in writing. Then speak to a lawyer. Ask the med school which credit reporting agency they used, then ask that agency for a free report - whenever you are denied credit, you are entitled to a free report. You may be able to dispute the report of the agency in question - they may have made a mistake, or reported something false.

http://www.mcw.edu/medicalschool/creditreport.htm
It does not matter whether the credit report is infallible or not. Even if there are mistakes, they don't matter if you do not take the time to correct them. Your credit score decides many aspects of your life, whether you think the report is fallible or not, and often the decision is made by what your paper says, not what you think it should say.

It is probably better to check your credit report before you apply. There are many websites that give you a free credit report with a trial membership - just make sure you cancel as soon as you get your report and you will not be charged. Also, when you get a credit report, make sure it has the report from all three agencies (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax), otherwise it isn't worth much.

i'd like to know what these schools are so i don't apply to them.

Quick tip for raising your credit score:

1. Get a credit card.
2. Put $10 on it per month.
3. Pay off the $10 dollars.

The biggest fact that most people don't know about credit is that it doesn't matter how much you put on the card; it only matters how many times you've gone through the borrowed/payed-back cycle.
So, if you are from a low-income community it is possible to raise your credit score without withdrawing large sums of money.

Quick tip for raising your credit score:

1. Get a credit card.
2. Put $10 on it per month.
3. Pay off the $10 dollars.

The biggest fact that most people don't know about credit is that it doesn't matter how much you put on the card; it only matters how many times you've gone through the borrowed/payed-back cycle.
So, if you are from a low-income community it is possible to raise your credit score without withdrawing large sums of money.
Yes and no. The biggest trustworthiness is gained when you pay off large items, like a car or a house. So the amount does matter. But the difference between $10 and $1000 could be negligible.

Did they tell you that specifically? That totally stinks if so. Only advice I can give you is to boost your credit by getting a credit card with a low limit and paying it off ON TIME every month. There's other stuff as well, but I'm guessing you've already looked into that stuff.

I would go back if they specifically told you that and tell them you can get your parents to cosign (if they are willing). Regardless of what you do from here on out, you have to change the way you handle money if your credit is bad enough to be rejected solely because of it. Sorry for the lecture! I just hate to see someone rejected for something so non-medically related. Best of luck.

AFAIK the best way to boost your credit is to have as large of a credit limit as possible, using the smallest ratio you can of it every month (but always make sure to buy something), and paying it off promptly. Another good way is to have good long-term performance on recurring loans, like student or home loans.

AFAIK the best way to boost your credit is to have as large of a credit limit as possible, using the smallest ratio you can of it every month (but always make sure to buy something), and paying it off promptly. Another good way is to have good long-term performance on recurring loans, like student or home loans.
You have to watch. Not all credit card companies report your ratio. There was an article on MSNBC a while back about this. Capital One doesn't report the ratio and therefore the 3 agencies assume your ratio is 1:1 instead of the true ratio.

Yes and no. The biggest trustworthiness is gained when you pay off large items, like a car or a house. So the amount does matter. But the difference between $10 and $1000 could be negligible.
i read in a personal finance book that the amount is not factored in the score. diversity of credit is, though.

we all know our credit scores are important come time for financial aid.
And some schools can rescind your acceptance if you're credit score is crappy, but you'd think they'd give you a little time to get your crap straight before rescinding.

I thought it was trollish because I've never heard of anyone being REJECTED due to their credit score. You'd think you'd have to be accepted for them to be allowed to check into that. And for that to be the only reason to reject someone seems odd. Every time someone requests your credit score (when shopping around for loans, a car, etc) it puts a little flag on your report that can end up lowering your score depending on how many times it's looked at and over what span of time. If every school people applied to checked out their score, people with 30+ applications would get hammered.

It does not matter whether the credit report is infallible or not. Even if there are mistakes, they don't matter if you do not take the time to correct them. Your credit score decides many aspects of your life, whether you think the report is fallible or not, and often the decision is made by what your paper says, not what you think it should say.

It is probably better to check your credit report before you apply. There are many websites that give you a free credit report with a trial membership - just make sure you cancel as soon as you get your report and you will not be charged. Also, when you get a credit report, make sure it has the report from all three agencies (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax), otherwise it isn't worth much.

You missed my point. You have the legal right to dispute an incorrect credit report - I am not suggesting that you have any recourse against an accurate report.

If you are denied credit based on a faulty report, you have recourse. If, as this poster claims, he was denied admission to med school because the med school believes he is a bad credit risk, he is legally entitled to a copy of the report they based this decision on, and he is entitled to challenge it, offer corrected information, etc.

Therefore, the fallibility of credit reporting absolutely does matter - read up on this and you will find that there are lots of reporting errors on those reports. Hence my suggestion to get this rejection in writing from the med school, to ask which credit reporting agency they used, to get the free report, and to then contact a lawyer if needed to get the report corrected or at least amended to dispute anything on the credit report.

Finally, it is possible to get med school loans through the Grad Plus program even if the applicant has a bad credit score. Therefore I find it difficult to believe that an applicant was denied admission based on a credit report.

http://www.finaid.org/loans/gradplus.phtml

I would really like to believe this. I'm not sure I do.

Schools are ultimately businesses and are about making money. I'm not against them making money--but a lot of the continuous hikes in everything from tuition to books, etc is outlandish. (The fact that these pubs and distb forces just keep sticking it to students b/c "they can," it is just wrong.)

Don't get me wrong. I see the benefits of capitalism and embrace many of them over the alternatives. It's just that these forces seems to have no limit on their constant hikes. Other businesses can't and don't keep hiking their products and services that way that seems just dandy in the world of higher education--or in HC on say dianostics or various procedures. I mean at some point, even or perhaps especially in a free society, we have face the short and long-term ramifications of GREED.

You begin to see a lot of this when you work in one of these places of higher education or systems that have a strong academic base or hyper-controlling mass-business model. The politics (that goes along with some of the greed from the higer end) is very problematic.

I say slow it down (the hikes) and space them out more.
People in reality are having big problems in these major areas (education, health care, real estate). As things are now financial pushes and burdens only stand to become more problematic. Real estate, health care (primiums and frontloading for coverage has increased substantially--as has the employee's contributions through the employer's plan, and THEN there's education and the endlessly rising costs.

There is a reason many students, even those matriculate at state universities, are taking whatever they can at CC's as they take other requirements at their four-years.

Listen, disputing an incorrect credit report is way more involved, stressful, and time-consuming that most people know--and some have an inkling that this is problem so, so they put their heads in the sand about it.

In some ways it can be much like clearning things up when someone steals your identify and causes problems. It is an expensive, time-consuming and very stressful process. It's not like you just make a few calls or write a few letters and "There you go!" you're done. No way.

What you have the right to do in terms of fallibility within the report is remarkably different and is nothing compared with what it actually entails.

The MS application can should be viewed in a separate light.

Now, after acceptance,that's when the school needs to see if this is a finacially doable thing for you.

I'm wondering how this actually went down with the OP.
I don't think it should be part of the application process. It is something that should be addressed after the school decides your application and overall presentation makes them a "yes."

There are many reasons for problems w/ credit reports. This is just one more "sign of the times," if you will.

Employer's justify credit checks by saying it shows them how responsible you are with your money. (And see I am more apt to be OK with this kind of thing when you are looking into hiring people than will be dealing with a lot of money.)

Overall, however, on the surface, it seems like a good idea, but it can be unfair and discriminatory.
Example, why the hell is it their business if say a person's spouse screwed them over and stuck them with their bad credit and refusal to do their part in the relationship? Regardless of how responsible you may be, if a spouse decides to screw you in this regard and let their credit and responsibility for it go to hell, tough luck. It mars your credit and rating too. This is but one nasty and unfair example. I've seen this happen with people. It's unbelievable.

Its again a sign of the times that shows that various entities and agencies are getting too much power for justisfication w/ digging into people's personal lives.

Remember that the OP stated: "(I don't have any defaults or a bankruptcy or anything like that.) "

So, if that is basically it, why is he or her (didn't take note, sorry) more of a risk than anyone else. Of course that excludes all those people that have daddies, mommies, or grand parents with big pockets

or

someone getting a major "disadvantaged applicant" bump? The bulk of the other students and everyone else get to pay for them as they kill themselves to get in and then pay off their bills. They get screwed twice, b/c shoot, they don't have someone giving them a ride with big pockets, and they don't have the access to the "big pockets" of daddy government.

(Don't misunderstand. I'm not starting something over whether the disadvantaged should be helped or not. Not at all. Nothing wrong with helping to give others a leg up. But it's multiply sucky when schools and even employers play these games with the bulk of other people that are just trying to work their azzes off and don't have any basket of plenty from which they can continually draw. This kind of thing IMO is just something that ultimately hurts or will hurt all those folks in the middle.)

I don't know if this is a troll post or not; but what the OP is stating is quite plausible, b/c potential employers NOW do it a lot, if not all the time, as you go through the hiring process for professions or even semi-professional position--and also b/c schools ARE businesses (sort of like how hospitals ARE businesses).

Again, I am not against free market practices but come on. This is all getting out of control. There needs to be some balance going on with this.

And how about limiting how much anyone--the government, businesses, hospitals, educ. systems, whatever get into people's personal lives--unless they have an extraordinarily compelling reason--like exploring probable terrorists or whack jobs like the the professor in Alabama that went all postal.