credits from another college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareRx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
I have been reading the content on the forum for a while and posted a couple of questions too. You guys have been very helpful. I hope I will be able to gain insight on the dilemma that I'm having this time as well.

I took gen-chemistry and bio in my university.
I want to take o-chem and physics during summer in a city college.
My university does not give me a straight answer if they accept the credits or not though (I have a feeling they won't).
My question is: Since I do not need o-chem and physics to complete my major (they are just to fulfill the pre-med requirements), would it be OK for med schools to have some premed requirements from my university and some from another accredited college (in case my university does not accept the credit). Would it be a disadvantage for me in any degree in your opinion?
If anyone has had such an experience, please share it with me. Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe taking hard core science pre reqs at two different universities may be bad in the eyes of adcom members, especially if the upper pre reqs are done at an 'inferior' school. I would definitely take all pre reqs at your regular university.

Originally posted by CareRx
Hello all.
I have been reading the content on the forum for a while and posted a couple of questions too. You guys have been very helpful. I hope I will be able to gain insight on the dilemma that I'm having this time as well.

I took gen-chemistry and bio in my university.
I want to take o-chem and physics during summer in a city college.
My university does not give me a straight answer if they accept the credits or not though (I have a feeling they won't).
My question is: Since I do not need o-chem and physics to complete my major (they are just to fulfill the pre-med requirements), would it be OK for med schools to have some premed requirements from my university and some from another accredited college (in case my university does not accept the credit). Would it be a disadvantage for me in any degree in your opinion?
If anyone has had such an experience, please share it with me. Any advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

as long as it doesn't look like you went to the other school for these courses because it's a much lower level school and so you thought the classes might be easier...then it's no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it still look not good if my university accepts those credits?
Summer semester costs much less in a city college and I want to save some money.

I think it would be fine if they were lower level but going to community college thinking it will be easier for physics and o'chem is an old trick....

If you did o'chem 1 and physics 1 at the city college and o'chem 2 and physics 2 at your regular university though, I don't see how they could complain.

What do you mean by a lower level college? A community college which gives associate degree or any 4 year city college which is not in top 30 as my university?

call a few deans of admission, and ask them. I'm sure they'll say that they'll be just fine with your plan, assuming of course that you don't expect them to think that Podunk State is Harvard.