Creighton (AZ) vs. SKMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babushkaboi

Reaction score
Hey y'all, just wanted to word vomit about a decision I'll have to make. I'm currently not super set on any speciality, but I definitely want to keep as many doors open as I can.

Creighton
Pros
  • Closer to home (from CA, would probably want to stay on West Coast)
  • Have friends living in Phoenix, including a med student at Creighton
  • Class size ~130, according to students, everyone basically knows everyone, very tight knit classes
  • H/P/F curriculum, unranked
  • Potentially more leadership opportunities
    • New campus, yet still has Creighton reputation
    • Opportunities for starting clubs/orgs, other leadership opportunities
  • Research seems plentiful? despite new campus. Barrow, etc.
  • Receptive faculty
  • Cost of living probably cheaper

Cons
  • Fewer home residencies
  • Tuition 7k more expensive
  • Because of new campus, things are slightly less developed in terms of clubs/orgs, but it still might be a positive as it gives me plenty of room to seek these opportunities and take my own initiative

SKMC
Pros
  • More home residency programs
  • Good sense of student camaraderie, despite super large class size
  • P/F curriculum
  • Super receptive faculty
  • Philadelphia is well connected with other institutions
  • Slightly cheaper tuition
  • Free iPad lol

Cons
  • Very far from home
  • Interal rankings?
  • Large class size, potential for getting lost in the crowd
  • Higher cost of living
TL;DR, given that school environment seems roughly similar, SKMC is technically the better school if going by metrics/potential residencies, but I would be putting myself across the country and trying to find a new support network there. Whereas Creighton is technically the "lesser school", but I would be closer and more relatively connected to a network. Any advise/insight is apprecated!

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest it sounds like you're more excited about Creighton, and given that I'd probably advise you to go with your gut. These are both great programs, but I think that benefits like being close to home/your family/where you want to match probably outweighs any of the other pros/cons you've listed. I interviewed at SKMC as well, and while I totally agree about their class seemingly having great vibes and camaraderie, the huge class size really turned me off.

Just my two cents, and remember you're gonna be a great doctor no matter which choice you make!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, having a good support network is everything and being where you want to do residency probably means more when applying!