Creighton Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jimmydix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good reasons on attending Creighton Medical school...good programs...faculty.......students are nice.....good clinical research experience and patient contact....

Trying to answer why Creighton Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

One of the things that attracts me is their focus on volunteer work and their facilitated global programs. Not to mention they offer a great mother replacement.

I don't know, I just got a great gut feeling from the school, and I am big on gut feelings. It seems very supportive, which I think is key for survival. I'm thinking of going for a second visit.

The price sucks, but I am not going to put money in front of my happpiness in med school. I keeping my fingers crossed for a scholarship. That's a reach though.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn, doing your secondary super late!

im a little pissed with creighton. i sent in my secondary in early october and called recently to check status and they said they had not received my secondary. i emailed it again and probably lost a lot of valuable ground in terms of timing.

...and their taco bar was amazing

We have a taco bar??? I've gone here for nearly 4 years now and have yet to see a taco bar. Are you talking about the lunch you got on your interview day? All we got on ours was really crappy Chinese food...

yeah, it was at the interview day. I guess there were more like fajitas, but they were amazing!!! I think it may have been a test to give of extremely messy food and soo who can get through the day without any stains. :laugh: I was spot free.

I've been acepted there for next year and I'm looking into housing, have any suggestions?? tips??

I've been acepted there for next year and I'm looking into housing, have any suggestions?? tips??

Are you definitely going?? I can suggest a few places depending on how much you are willing to spend and how far from campus you want to be.

There are some cheaper, slightly more-run down apartments right across the street from campus called Kellom Heights. They're not bad, but they border on one of the worse parts of Omaha.

There are lots of houses available for rent in the Dundee area, which is West of campus, around 40th to 60th streets.

I live in the Old Market, in the Old Market Lofts. I split a room with 2 of my friends, and we each pay about $525 a month after you include utilities, rent, and parking in the parking garage...

PM me if you want more info...

sounds great. I would love some help.

We have a taco bar??? I've gone here for nearly 4 years now and have yet to see a taco bar. Are you talking about the lunch you got on your interview day? All we got on ours was really crappy Chinese food...

I was being fascitious....There was no taco bar.

You may have been being sarcastic, however, there was a taco/fajita bar at my interview, and it was excellent. But I had forgotten, so even if you were joking, I appreciate it.

That is the uncanny part my friend!!

I submitted my application to Creighton last August. I have 30 MCAT, 3.9GPA. I have not received any notifications from Creighton. Do you think I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)

that's what i was thinking too.

do you guys know when 2nd look is?

I haven't heard a thing from Creighton and I mailed in my secondary on 10/27. My check just cleared yesterday 11/30. I guess that means they just opened my envelope?

Applying late sucks.

3rd year med student at Creighton...

Good Stuff

I think it's a pretty good school. As a third year student I think clerkships could be better organized as far as feedback, timely reporting of grades (still waiting for my official grade from my first clerkship... I know what I got but the fact that it hasn't been officially reported is kind of ridiculous). But as far as years 1 and 2 go I have no complaints. Exam feedback is immediate as far as raw score (nice because you know right away if you need to be worried or not), all exams (except practicals) are online, lectures are podcast. I like the systems based curriculum. Honors/Pass/Fail grading system is good and really makes for a nice environment that is supportive/eliminates the competitive attitude I've seen other places. I think it's also part of why students feel they have the liberty to get involved to the extent that they do. In the end CU students seem to do well, and we have good match outcomes.

Not So Good Stuff

Born and raised in Omaha... even so I would have left Omaha for medical school had it not been for family. Omaha is not a bad town but there's nothing really great about it either. Might be a good thing though as you won't get too distracted while studying. And we do have everything you need... including a Cheesecake Factory (and within a day's drive to other cities... Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Denver). Cost... obviously. Creighton is expensive, no denying it.

I think the hospital at which we do much of our clinical training (formerly St. Joseph's, now CUMC) is kind of a slum. It's a private, for-profit hospital (don't know how the hell that works) and it shows; nothing for students is paid, not even testing and prophylaxis for healthcare exposures... really ridiculous. However, you will see a lot of varied pathology... very diverse patient population and the hospital is a tertiary care center and an excellent trauma center. Honestly, my biggest issues with the hospital are probably typical for most teaching hospitals where medical students are basically the lowest on the totem pole. In general though I've been treated well by residents/attendings... my beef is mostly with the hospital administration itself.

Overall I have to give Creighton a good review. I think as an institution, it takes a very difficult process (allopathic medical school) and makes it as "friendly" and do-able as it really can be. The school has a strong reputation in the region and within the medical community. In the end, you can't argue with results and the fact is that Creighton students are prepared for boards and CU grads match well.

thanks omahamx!!!!!!

i called creighton on wednesday and the lady said that they haven't received my letters of rec. I told her that i sent them on sept 22nd. Then i received an e-mail from her later in the day saying that she "found" my letters. this sucks because now i dont' know when my app will be reviewed =(

I'm hoping to hear back from Creighton.... I've heard Omaha is a great place to live and that Creighton students are supportive of each other. I got a 30P (10/10/10/P) with decent EC's, a 3.6 BCPM (3.8 overall GPA), but I applied really late (my secondary was only verified at CU last week), and I have pretty much no research experience.... Do I have a chance? What do you think...

I'm hoping to hear back from Creighton.... I've heard Omaha is a great place to live and that Creighton students are supportive of each other. I got a 30P (10/10/10/P) with decent EC's, a 3.6 BCPM (3.8 overall GPA), but I applied really late (my secondary was only verified at CU last week), and I have pretty much no research experience.... Do I have a chance? What do you think...

You're within Creighton's average range. I can tell you that my girlfriend got in with a slightly lower MCAT (29) and a bit higher GPA (3.85)... If you have above a 3.5 and a 30, you're good to go in that department. Creighton likes people who are service-oriented, though...

here are my stats: 31Q, 3.65 overall, 3.55 science
2 years of research and volunteer..and other ECs
My application was completed last wednesday...so should i expect some love from creighton? :)

OmahaMX80:

I would love to get your opinion about my situation. I am accepted at Creighton and University of SoDak. They are fairly equivalent...but being born and raised in SD I can relate to your feelings about Omaha and me and my wife really don't want to move back to SD. I cannot ignore the cost of tuition between the schools. If all were equal, I would choose Creighton for the change of pace. What do you think?

3rd year med student at Creighton...

Good Stuff

I think it's a pretty good school. As a third year student I think clerkships could be better organized as far as feedback, timely reporting of grades (still waiting for my official grade from my first clerkship... I know what I got but the fact that it hasn't been officially reported is kind of ridiculous). But as far as years 1 and 2 go I have no complaints. Exam feedback is immediate as far as raw score (nice because you know right away if you need to be worried or not), all exams (except practicals) are online, lectures are podcast. I like the systems based curriculum. Honors/Pass/Fail grading system is good and really makes for a nice environment that is supportive/eliminates the competitive attitude I've seen other places. I think it's also part of why students feel they have the liberty to get involved to the extent that they do. In the end CU students seem to do well, and we have good match outcomes.

Not So Good Stuff

Born and raised in Omaha... even so I would have left Omaha for medical school had it not been for family. Omaha is not a bad town but there's nothing really great about it either. Might be a good thing though as you won't get too distracted while studying. And we do have everything you need... including a Cheesecake Factory (and within a day's drive to other cities... Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Denver). Cost... obviously. Creighton is expensive, no denying it.

I think the hospital at which we do much of our clinical training (formerly St. Joseph's, now CUMC) is kind of a slum. It's a private, for-profit hospital (don't know how the hell that works) and it shows; nothing for students is paid, not even testing and prophylaxis for healthcare exposures... really ridiculous. However, you will see a lot of varied pathology... very diverse patient population and the hospital is a tertiary care center and an excellent trauma center. Honestly, my biggest issues with the hospital are probably typical for most teaching hospitals where medical students are basically the lowest on the totem pole. In general though I've been treated well by residents/attendings... my beef is mostly with the hospital administration itself.

Overall I have to give Creighton a good review. I think as an institution, it takes a very difficult process (allopathic medical school) and makes it as "friendly" and do-able as it really can be. The school has a strong reputation in the region and within the medical community. In the end, you can't argue with results and the fact is that Creighton students are prepared for boards and CU grads match well.