Creighton SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMO69657

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I talked with the admissions people today, they are really nice, but I feel a bit discouraged now. Most of my friends that got accepted to Creighton have GPAs of 3.8+, I was wondering if anyone on here has a GPA of 3.5 or less??? And if so, what helped you get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Creighton doesn't seem to really care about looking at your GPA and PCAT alone. They seem to look for the entire package - a mature, sincere, and well-rounded student. They look strongly at personal statements and extracurriculars as much as anything else, so it appears.

I had less than a 3.5 and less than a 90 PCAT, and I was accepted on my first try to the distance program. I also had a lot of leadership experience with extra curriculars, lots of experience in the health field with shadowing, volunteering, and working, and a personal health condition for many years that has made me 'wiser,' I would say, to medication and the medical field.

3.8+?:laugh:

If you remember that PM I sent to you, I got in with a sub-3.5 GPA because of a high PCAT, a great interview (IMO), a bachelor's degree, and research experience that helped compensate for my lack of pharmacy experience.

The average GPA of entering students for Fall 2006 was 3.46. I'm guessing that if you consider the middle 50% of people entering Creighton, the GPA range for your average student may extend to around 3.3 or maybe 3.2. The average PCAT was 81%, so for every guy like me who got a 94, there was probably multiple applicants with PCATs in the 70s.

Coming from my household, my parents kept ramming the stories about the people who got in the first time with stellar stats in order to make me perceive myself as a failure for taking this long to get into professional school. In reality, it's competitive where not everybody makes it but its not impossible as some people make it.

Your friends do not represent the average student that gets into pharmacy school.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yes, let me add on....a bachelor's is great, and it can be in ANYTHING, not just the sciences. And definitely a good interview!

don't be discouraged! i agree with the above posters in that creighton is definately interested in the WHOLE person as opposed to black and white stats...my GPA was 3.7 but my PCAT composite was an 80 with one of the content areas falling below their preference of 60:oops: like yourself, i was really worried about getting rejected but instead i tried to focus in on the things i could actually improve (ECs, personal statements, etc.) i made a list of the areas they review their applicants on and matched up all my credentials/experiences....this gave me a good idea of the areas i was strong in and the areas that were weak....i proceeded to add activities or get involved in things that would strenghten those portions of my application that were lacking. i feel having my bachelor's helped and don't underestimate the value of true passion and genuine interest in pharmacy...this can help make you a more competitive applicant...good luck!

Thanks everyone. yeah I should know that Creighton looks at everything, but wow seeing my pharmcas gpa vs the gpas of my friends was not very encouraging! I just switched majors, don't have all prereqs done for other schools, not ready for PCAT, I do not have a lot of experience/exposure to the pharm field. My grades are not awesome but I have some ECs that I am very commited to, shadowing in a couple health prof. fields, and I am working on getting some PT experience and I need to do well on my interview & PS! ahh I really want to get in! If I don't get into CU this semester, I'll get my bachelor's, take the PCAT, and apply at many more schools. Thanks again ~ wish me luck lol :)

If I don't get into CU this semester, I'll get my bachelor's, take the PCAT, and apply at many more schools. Thanks again ~ wish me luck lol :)

Are you still planning to apply to just Creighton? I still think you need to cover your bases by not applying just to one school no matter how well Creighton has treated you. Try schools like Iowa and Wingate and any other nearby schools like KU, UMKC, UNMC, et Al. From my personal experience, these adcoms (@Iowa and Wingate) are about finding the ideal person instead of one loaded with great stats. They will still be tough to get into, but they offer an opportunity to demonstrate your abilities outside of stats.

Are you still planning to apply to just Creighton? I still think you need to cover your bases by not applying just to one school no matter how well Creighton has treated you. Try schools like Iowa and Wingate and any other nearby schools like KU, UMKC, UNMC, et Al. From my personal experience, these adcoms (@Iowa and Wingate) are about finding the ideal person instead of one loaded with great stats. They will still be tough to get into, but they offer an opportunity to demonstrate your abilities outside of stats.

I'm going to try Creighton alone this year, only because I don't have other reqs done that other schools require. I'm gonna look into the reqs of those other nearby schools you mentioned, but I doubt that I can. I may be able to apply for UNMC, but they require a PCAT now. If I don't get into Creighton, I will definitely be applying for more schools next year as well as finishing my bachelor's. BTW, do you happen to know if taking the PCAT in the fall is considered kind of "late", will the results get in on time?

BTW, do you happen to know if taking the PCAT in the fall is considered kind of "late", will the results get in on time?

I took the October PCAT and got into Creighton:)

October is the latest you can take the PCAT for Creighton as exceptions are rare for the January exam.

Minnesota has similar prerequisites - you may want to try there, also.

thanks omni, drugdoc, & tckc. I'm going to look into those schools' prereqs right now!

OK, another question....

I know I posted the same question on the general board, but I also wanted to hear from other Creighton people about what they are doing and how they are going about student loans.

I'm new to student loans. I got my award amount. They have given us 7 lenders to select from for the Stafford and GradPLUS loans. What now? I've tried deciphering what is best for me, but I'm still hesitant. I hope** to be able to pay off the $200,000 within 10 years, so early, I assume.

By paying off the loans early, will one of the lenders be better for me than another?

Anything else I should think about when selecting???

Thanks!

Wow I've been up researching. Well, I may be able to complete the reqs for a couple of schools, and need to take the PCAT. I didn't know KU & Iowa accepted HS Physics. Still can't apply for UNMC, I won't be able to take accounting!?!? Ok if anyone happens to read this- let me know what your thoughts are on these schools considering I am a low stat applicant but with some strong ECs but little pharm experience: Creighton/KU/Iowa/Wingate/UMKC/Colorado

OK, another question....

I know I posted the same question on the general board, but I also wanted to hear from other Creighton people about what they are doing and how they are going about student loans.

I'm new to student loans. I got my award amount. They have given us 7 lenders to select from for the Stafford and GradPLUS loans. What now? I've tried deciphering what is best for me, but I'm still hesitant. I hope** to be able to pay off the $200,000 within 10 years, so early, I assume.

By paying off the loans early, will one of the lenders be better for me than another?

Anything else I should think about when selecting???

Thanks!

hey drugdoc...i thought i was the only one who was hesitant/scared/confused about the whole student loans thing! like you, this is all new to me. i was lucky enough to emerge from my undergraduate career without a student loan but now the size of just our first year loans scares me! it seems like most of the lenders that are listed on the creighton options have terms that are similar with incentives for payback, interest rate reductions, etc. so it makes it all the more difficult to make a decision. i've accepted my loan offers but am stalling on choosing a lender. i'm considering going into my local bank to see what my options are here....what are you planning to do? :eek: