Creighton University Distance pathway STATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lipa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

My first and only choice for PharmD program is Creighton University distance pathway, due to family responsability. I was wondering if anyone who got in or is applying to the program could provide me with thier stats on the pcat and overal GPA so I can see if I stand a chance.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,
Yes! Please do share with those who are going to be applying for entry in Fall 2010. I am also curious to know where I would stand...

hi guys,

My first and only choice for PharmD program is Creighton University distance pathway, due to family responsability. I was wondering if anyone who got in or is applying to the program could provide me with thier stats on the pcat and overal GPA so I can see if I stand a chance.
thanks

hi guys,

thanks
I got off the waiting list for Creighton's distance pathway. I had a 3.92 overall GPA. I think a science GPA of 3.89. I had a pcat score of 71.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty good GPA--I know I don't have anything even CLOSE to a 3.92. my PCAT is pretty close to yours (77 composite)...My GPA concerns myself--it would be about 3.0ish...Hmmmm....

I got off the waiting list for Creighton's distance pathway. I had a 3.92 overall GPA. I think a science GPA of 3.89. I had a pcat score of 71.

Pretty good GPA--I know I don't have anything even CLOSE to a 3.92. my PCAT is pretty close to yours (77 composite)...My GPA concerns myself--it would be about 3.0ish...Hmmmm....

Your 3.0 is about a 1/2 point better than what mine was and our pcat was the same. I turned down my spot to go somewhere else. I felt my application showed that I had a strong science background but that my 'extras' really showed me and the school the path that I desired. I guess what I am trying to say is that yes historically of all creighton students the distance folk have a slightly if not equal gpa than those of the campus pathway (at Creighton) and generally a higher pcat score, but the distance folk are probably the ones on paper that look stronger because (again, on average) are a little older, have more school and life experience under their belt that make them look like a stronger applicant. So, if you can not set yourself apart with your 'extras' from the average applicant, than you may fall to the way side.

If this is something you really want, dont give up. Keep working towards it and keep building on your application. During the interview while they were showing us how the whole online process works they actually had a student in one of their online chat rooms listening to the discussion and adding in some information to the person doing the presentation. It was really cool. Anyhow, she herself did not get in the first two times she applied and successfuly did the third. I would have to think she was in what sounds like the same situation you are (atleast from the information you have given us), average academic stats and needed some 'extras' to spice it up.

Also, search around on their website. Somewhere on there they have posted the stats of their last entering class. That will give you a better gauge of where you stand stats wise. But keep in mind, as I can attest, stats arent everything.

If I remember correctly when I interviewed, the GPA and PCAT was slightly higher for distance vs campus; however, it wasn't that significant of a difference. Some things that really stood out during my interview session was they were a lot older (30+) and many of them already had PhDs and a few were even MDs.

If I remember correctly when I interviewed, the GPA and PCAT was slightly higher for distance vs campus; however, it wasn't that significant of a difference. Some things that really stood out during my interview session was they were a lot older (30+) and many of them already had PhDs and a few were even MDs.

so how were your stats? and experiance

I think I got on the waitlist and not accepted initially b/c they are looking for older canidates that have life experiences. I am 23, just finished my bachelors a year ago and applied to the school b/c I need to stay in NY and we only have 2 schools here. A 30 year old canidate comes off better in an interview in my opinion as they have more life experiences. All in all I was very impressed with Creighton but after getting into school in NY, I turned down the waitlist and made s/o else very happy.

I see what you mean about experience. I have lots of community service experience, particularly experience which has put me in various leadership positions, and also have 7 years work experience in the area of public health, clinical research, etc. Plus I have online teaching experience as well, so hopefully I can craft all of these experiences into something wonderful that will make me stand out--I'm excited but nervous! YIKES!

I think I got on the waitlist and not accepted initially b/c they are looking for older canidates that have life experiences. I am 23, just finished my bachelors a year ago and applied to the school b/c I need to stay in NY and we only have 2 schools here. A 30 year old canidate comes off better in an interview in my opinion as they have more life experiences. All in all I was very impressed with Creighton but after getting into school in NY, I turned down the waitlist and made s/o else very happy.

Couple of schools close to my home will accept my late application. I need a SOP related to Pharmacy ASAP. Anyone can send me an example of SOP please???

I see what you mean about experience. I have lots of community service experience, particularly experience which has put me in various leadership positions, and also have 7 years work experience in the area of public health, clinical research, etc. Plus I have online teaching experience as well, so hopefully I can craft all of these experiences into something wonderful that will make me stand out--I'm excited but nervous! YIKES!

haha yea...the Pharm student who was giving tours had no idea what to say to those applicants who were MDs already.

hi guys,

thanks

Here's a link to the class profile for the entering class of 2008 (Distance):

http://spahp2.creighton.edu/admission/Pharmacy/Pharmacy_Distance_Profile.htm

And for the campus class:

http://spahp2.creighton.edu/admission/Pharmacy/Pharmacy_Campus_Profile.htm

That should give you an overall idea of where you stand. Good luck!

What the?!? I would love to hear you story, if you are an MD and going for your PharmD, JTrue14!!

haha yea...the Pharm student who was giving tours had no idea what to say to those applicants who were MDs already.

Hi everyone, I guess there are two threads for Creighton Distant Pathways going on.
I guess I will vent on both. Creighton Distant is my first choice. I do very well with online learning and cannot leave California. However, I submitted my application just this week but they will not review it without my PCAT score. Sadly I have to take the January PCAT - which means they won't get my score till March. That is extremely late especially considering my stats. I am determined tho, so if not this year than I will reapply.

Overall GPA: 3.0
Science GPA:2.8:eek:
Pharmacy Job shadowing in privates pharmacies
Volunteering/pre-pharm organizations

Recommendation Letters:
Pharmacist, Speech Professor, Chemistry Professor

Not true. Distance students are not selected because they are older. It just happens that more older students apply for distance pathway than the campus pathway. Age has nothing to do with if you will get in. We had a 21-year-old in my class (I'm a P3).

I second this---I'm 29 getting ready to be 30 and they told me NO WAY. (See my post from Saturday about being rejected). I have tons of professional experience, health community service, etc, and doesn't mean anything because I don't have any pharmacy experience per se---only healthcare, research, medical research, etc.

Not true. Distance students are not selected because they are older. It just happens that more older students apply for distance pathway than the campus pathway. Age has nothing to do with if you will get in. We had a 21-year-old in my class (I'm a P3).

I will be applying soon.... Distance is the best option for me (34, married, kid) so I dont have to move..

I am hoping that my scores are good enough. Look forward to hearing from more people that are applying to compare and share info.

Good luck to all!!