Creighton University SOM - Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gdbaby said:
I think he turned down the Creighton acceptance for Loyola--unless I read his post incorrectly.

and mln = a 'she' ;)

Members don't see this ad.

brats800 said:
and mln = a 'she' ;)

Yes, I'm a "she." :) I turned down Creighton to go to Loyola, but still feel really torn about it. I guess it's too late now...

My fault. This night shift work sucks.. come home @ 5 am and try to browse up on the internet what you missed the entire 12 hours before. No wonder I misunderstood; enjoy Loyola!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, do we have anyone else new that has decided to go to Creighton?

Also, has anyone received their NETid from Creighton yet? Supposedly it will be going out next week from what I understand.

I have a big dilemma......

I just found out this week that I was accepted to my state school....
Should I still go to Creighton?

AL112934 said:
I have a big dilemma......

I just found out this week that I was accepted to my state school....
Should I still go to Creighton?

YES!

Well, in all honesty, it is your decision. I absolutely enjoyed Creighton and the atmosphere there and I can't wait to be there. I'm hoping you'll be there too!

But, if I am accepted to my state school (I find out later this month) I still plan on going to Creighton just based on the feeling from the school. The price is twice as much, but it doesn't matter as much to me because I will be more happy at Creighton than my state school.

The final decision is up to you; where will you be happy? Both schools? If so, then price is a huge factor in your decision. If not, then go where you will be happy.

Either way, I look forward to having you in our class in August, and if not, wish you all the best of luck.

Edited to add: There are so many factors that play into where you will go to school; not just price and happiness :)

Hi all,

I know this issue has been beaten to death in the Official 2006 FAFSA thread, but I wanted to get a clear-cut answer from potential Creighton students. Does Creighton require you to include your parental information in your FAFSA for grants/scholarships/etc? AAMC indicates that you do not need to include parental information for institutional aid at Creightion. I emailed the Fin Aid office but have yet to receive a response. Thanks for help!

gbleeker said:
So, do we have anyone else new that has decided to go to Creighton?

Also, has anyone received their NETid from Creighton yet? Supposedly it will be going out next week from what I understand.

Did they indicate how we will receive the NETid? The only information I have received thus far is the immunization worksheet.

Glenn,

For the FAFSA, Creighton does NOT need your parent's info. Thank goodness huh?

For the NetID, I just received mine yesterday in the mail in a different letter. I also got the immunization worksheet a few days prior. Your NetId should be coming. My email is all set up now; it's neat having a @creighton.edu email ~

Thanks for the info Grant. That will save me a lot of time.

I was in the same boat as you and grant...I was accepted at both my state school(KU) and Creighton. After much soul searching and emails to the fanancial aid department as well as some great articles on the AMCAS website, I decided that you shouldn't base your medical school choice on cost. No matter what type of doctor you become you will be able to afford the loan payments...though it is still a little scary to think of the amount of debt. After spending two years in graduate school at Creighton, I can say without a doubt that it will be a better experience for me. I can't think of anything bad to say about Creighton...well maybe the parking, though by the time we start in the fall they should have two new parking garages finished. I also disagree with some of their admissions policies regarding alumni...though seeing as I am one...I shouldn't complain. Anyway...as it was said above, go with what will give you the best experience, after all you only go through medical school once....

hey all...I don't know why it took me so long to venture over here. Creighton is my first and only MD acceptance so far...I still can't believe that this crazy dream of mine is really going to happen. SO EXCITED!!!

I was really impressed with the students I met on my visit to Creighton...that's what really made my trip. I'll admit that I'm still a rather hesitant about Omaha...but I know I can find my niche and make the most out of it.

I'm a 25 year old Oregonian gal...a non-trad, I suppose. Graduated about 4 years ago originally with a BS in Economics. My job/work environment was just like the movie, "Office Space." I swear, Lumbergh was my VP. I only lasted 14 months.

I love traveling and international health (I know, global health is the proper term) is my passion. I love speaking Spanish. And being Vietnamese always makes it funny to see the reaction when I bust it out. ;)

anyways...just wanted to say hola to everyone! we could be classmates!!! yay!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you stay with Creighton...you won't regret it, and trust me, Omaha grows on you. I look foward to meeting you as well in person in the fall...can't wait...these next 5 months are going to be the longest in my life. Has anyone given any thoughts as to what specialty they might go into? Surgery here...started out on this journey planning on being a pediatrician, partly because I did magic at childrens birthday parties...lots of Patch Adams references. Then as fate would have it, I ended up in an Anatomy masters program (at Creighton no less) and fell in love with it, so thats the path I hope to take...though as always...who knows how I will feel after rotations...

I've been pretty set on emergency medicine for a long time. But, as mentioned, we'll see if I feel the same way once it comes time to apply for residency.

Hey everyone, I just received my acceptance on Monday (interviewed on 2/3) and I'm almost positive that I'll be joining you in the fall! I'm in the middle of midterm week so I've only been able to check SDN about 500 times a day, but I'll post more about myself when this week is over. I'm definitely excited though, I loved Creighton and I think I'll really enjoy the next four years there.

How many of you have set up your Net ID etc? Also, if you log into Student Services, at least on my account, they have already entered financial aid info. What do you all see?

Hey, is anyone going for a second look at Creighton?

I'm going in april to look for apts, houses, etc and go take one last look at creighton before I make my final decision if i'm going there.

anybody have any suggestions on where I should look for housing?

Ali,

I put down a security deposit on an apartment complex in southern-central Omaha (near LaVista). www.pointemanagementco.com

There are a ton of apartment complexes to look at, but most are western Omaha.. there are some nice ones near Creighton but tend to be higher cost, and slightly smaller square footage.

Best of luck hunting,

Grant

gbleeker said:
How many of you have set up your Net ID etc? Also, if you log into Student Services, at least on my account, they have already entered financial aid info. What do you all see?
grant, does that mean they have put in any scholarships, etc, that you would be receiving?

gdbaby said:
grant, does that mean they have put in any scholarships, etc, that you would be receiving?

Heh, it all looks like loans to me, but since they haven't emailed me yet, I am not assuming it is finished. They may just be filling everyone out now and going back to add in the grants / scholarship etc later. Once they send an official email like they said they would, then I will know exactly what they have available.

gbleeker said:
Heh, it all looks like loans to me, but since they haven't emailed me yet, I am not assuming it is finished. They may just be filling everyone out now and going back to add in the grants / scholarship etc later. Once they send an official email like they said they would, then I will know exactly what they have available.
Boy, I must be going senile. I swear I remember the woman from financial aid stating that we would hear about scholarships within a few weeks of them processing our "save a seat" money. I think I am losing it. OR, I am not getting any scholarship money. Now, why didn't I think of that first? :)

Yea I remember the same. I called Dr. Nipper about two weeks ago and he said they hadn't given all 30 scholarships out yet though. Keep in mind, these are merit scholarhips. I am hoping they do the need-based stuff yet too; but maybe they don't. My only question is how their average debt is 144k (usnews) when tuition alone would run you 160k, not counting a single penny for living expenses, books, etc.

First off, welcom to Creighton, you made a good decision, and I look foward to meeting you in the fall, and again, if you have any questions about Omaha or Creighton just ask...I have lived in Omaha over 3 years now and went to graduate school at Creighton. Also I just checked and my award info is on the web as well, with the ability to accept, but I think I will wait till I get my email and talk to the lady. I wanted more info on something I heard about at the KU interview about a one time upping of your aid cap to purchase a computer, anyone else remember hearing about that?

gbleeker said:
I swear I cannot find anything that has my NetIS on it. DO you guys know how you received it? I saw online that it is your three initials and some 6-digit number. So, I emailed admissions, but can anyone tell me if that number is something familiar (part of your ssn, AMCAS #, etc). Thanks for your help. I don't want to wait until Monday!!!

gdbaby said:
I swear I cannot find anything that has my NetIS on it. DO you guys know how you received it? I saw online that it is your three initials and some 6-digit number. So, I emailed admissions, but can anyone tell me if that number is something familiar (part of your ssn, AMCAS #, etc). Thanks for your help. I don't want to wait until Monday!!!

I don't think it is anything but a random number, but I could be wrong...try searching the website for your email address...it used to be your [email protected] not then try emailing the doit people for your netid...they are the ones that issue it...not admissions...they might even be open on the weekend...

Hi all,

I am planning on making a return trip to Omaha in early May to take a second look at the school and do some apartment hunting. Does anyone have any handy websites that I should utilize as I begin this process? Any help would be appreciated. I work with a few physicians who went to school in Omaha but would like to get as many opinions as possible. Thanks for your help.

Glenn

glenn503 said:
Hi all,

I am planning on making a return trip to Omaha in early May to take a second look at the school and do some apartment hunting. Does anyone have any handy websites that I should utilize as I begin this process? Any help would be appreciated. I work with a few physicians who went to school in Omaha but would like to get as many opinions as possible. Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Talk to Grant from this board...he was just in town and found some nice apartments. If you tell me the date I could be in town and help you with directions. Are you living alone? roomate? My apartment building is really nice and there are already some Creighton med studens living here, and is close to campus. Let me know if you need any help.

Jared Patton

hey guys,

how long ago did you guys fill out your fafsa? I did mine sometime in february, and I've been checkin my creighton e-mail, and I don't see anything about financial aid. Did you guys see financial aid info in your e-mails?

Thanks!

-Aileen

Aileen,

We haven't got emails yet about financial aid. I have received a letter in the mail that told us about our netID we would be assigned. I have already set mine up, and have the Creighton email set up too. They have started with the financial aid packages, but until they actually email me saying it is complete and waiting for me to accept it, I won't assume it is final.

But now, I haven't received any emails regarding the financial aid yet. You can log on to student service self page, or whatever it is, sign in, and see the financial aid package that is in the works. Like I said, I have no clue what else they will do it, and am not going to worry about it too much until they email me saying it is finished.

Only a few more months until summer and then med school will be starting before I know it! I can't wait!

I receive a letter from Creighton concerning FA...though not sure what it contains as it was sent to my mom's house. Check the mail, as if I have received it, then everyone else should have received it a week ago...Abilene, KS must be in some kind of postal black hole...it literally takes a week for mail to reach from here to Omaha, when it only takes 3.5 hours to drive there...anyway...I will let you know what it is tomorrow...

Gandalf66502 said:
I receive a letter from Creighton concerning FA...though not sure what it contains as it was sent to my mom's house. Check the mail, as if I have received it, then everyone else should have received it a week ago...Abilene, KS must be in some kind of postal black hole...it literally takes a week for mail to reach from here to Omaha, when it only takes 3.5 hours to drive there...anyway...I will let you know what it is tomorrow...

I got the letter yesterday. Basically said the same thing my fin aid did online. Looks like loan city for me :(

gbleeker said:
I got the letter yesterday. Basically said the same thing my fin aid did online. Looks like loan city for me :(

I got the letter yesterday too. Ouch - big time debt but we all knew that was coming anyway.

One question: If we are awarded a scholarship, would it be indicated on that form? I know that we will be notified by mail and Grant received word from Dr. Nipper that not all of the 30 scholarships have been awarded yet. I am still praying that the school will bless me with a few dollars.

I'm guessing if we received a scholarship, it would be indicated on the award letter. Looks like we are in for some fun time debt! Oh well, here's to my *investment*!

Side note - it truely is an investment, but... 60k is still a lot of money to me.

gbleeker said:
I'm guessing if we received a scholarship, it would be indicated on the award letter. Looks like we are in for some fun time debt! Oh well, here's to my *investment*!

Side note - it truely is an investment, but... 60k is still a lot of money to me.
Anxiously awaiting my letter...hopefully it will be in my mailbox when I get home!

gdbaby said:
Anxiously awaiting my letter...hopefully it will be in my mailbox when I get home!
So all I got todya was this glossy packet describing the types of finanncial aid offered and how to fund your education. No letter about my award or anything.

Furthermore, should I have an email account? I feel like I am in a communications black hole with Creighton lately.

Gd,

I got the same letter, and then a few days after I got another letter detailing how to set up my email account. That was probably a month ago already. I would call their office possibly, because you should have an email waiting for you to set it up.

gbleeker said:
Gd,

I got the same letter, and then a few days after I got another letter detailing how to set up my email account. That was probably a month ago already. I would call their office possibly, because you should have an email waiting for you to set it up.
Thanks gb.

gd

mmmm I'm glad that I think debt is tasty...I checked my financial aid and it's gonna be all loans...ah well, it'll be worth it...

I'm starting to look for apartments and trying to decide if I'm going to want a roommate or not. I think I'd like an apartment downtown in one of the lofty places, but those would be much more affordable if I had a roommate. Does anyone know what they're doing as far as housing and roommates? Also, any suggestions for downtown/old market area apartments? I'm fairly poor but coming from a city, I really like the downtown living and at this point, I'm going to have about $2 billion in loans, so what's an extra $100-200 a month?

Haha.. 2 billion.. we will only have like 1.5 billion in debt silly.

I am going to be renting an apartment from www.pointemanagementco.com in southern-central Omaha (my fiance will hopefully be teaching in Bellevue). That is the reason we looked a bit farther from Creighton. Plus, the majority of the housing is in western Omaha, not near Creighton. You can rent loft like apartments downtown but trust me, they are more than 200 or 300 dollars than other places. My father and I looked for an entire weekend at about 30 complexes. Check out forrent.com (I think) and look up Omaha.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and starting medical school!!

By the way, anyone else who has checked their awards: who else has mostly loans? Or, did anyone receive a scholarship from the school? Just curious. For me, it appears to be all loans as well.

Mine was all loans. I think I am going to have to withdraw my acceptance since Iowa offered me a pretty good scholarship. Being older with a family, I need to be honest with myself as to how much debt I want to take on.

gdbaby said:
Mine was all loans. I think I am going to have to withdraw my acceptance since Iowa offered me a pretty good scholarship. Being older with a family, I need to be honest with myself as to how much debt I want to take on.

Well that stinks GD! I was looking forward to meeting you, though I completely understand the reason!

Best of luck to you, and with the CU acceptance that WILL be coming soon:)

gbleeker said:
Well that stinks GD! I was looking forward to meeting you, though I completely understand the reason!

Best of luck to you, and with the CU acceptance that WILL be coming soon:)
It's people like you that make this decision really difficult. Creighton was such an inviting place! Good luck, Grant, and everyone on this thread!

gdbaby said:
It's people like you that make this decision really difficult. Creighton was such an inviting place! Good luck, Grant, and everyone on this thread!

GD!!! WAY TO GO on the Colorado acceptance! Now, see... what did I just post yesterday? That you would get in, and low and behold, you did!

Haha, thanks for the lovely complement; I assume you will choose to go to Colorado over Iowa due to already living in Colorado and having a family there etc. Best of luck to you, and once again, congrats on Colorado!

Congrats on the Colorado acceptance gdbaby! I unfortunately got the short straw from Colorado, but I am blessed with an exciting alternative.....Creighton!! I will without a doubt be attending this August!! A little about me: I graduated from the University of Colorado with a degree in Electrical Engineering. I'm 22, like to hike, snowboard and swim. I'm excited to move to Omaha and meet you all! If anyone happens to be in the Colorado area let me know!

Congrats to all that have been recently accepted...to CU or otherwise. I think everyone should do what they feel is the best for themselves and their family, though I think its not always the best idea to let loan amounts cause you to go to a school you may not be happy at. You should pick your top choice...you only go through medical school once, and the amcas website itself has articles about how even the lowest paid doctors usually don't have any trouble paying off their school loans. On the loft subject...my current roomate lived in the Macaroni Apartments before we moved in together, they are really awesome but as grant said...expect to pay well over 1000 a month. Another friend lives in Old Market Lofts, again, awesome place, but considering I will be living off my loans (I too received only loans) I can't see spending over 6000 on rent alone per semester when I can live in an awsome apartment (w/roomate) that is in walking distance to downtown. Just my two cents...

Jared

PS I am currently living at 621 S 37th St at the St Regis apartments if anyone is interested...its a nice place and nice location and there are several Creighton med students living there. Rent is 750 for a two bedroom. If you are interested the renting agence is DUDA Realty. They also have one bedrooms...check it out...

Hi everyone!

I've decided to also withdraw from Creighton, though I really did love it there!
I can't really justify being $150,000 more in debt when I think my state school is pretty good too!

Good luck to everyone!

Grant,
we should totally keep in touch! You are one cool guy!

-Aileen

AL112934 said:
Hi everyone!

I've decided to also withdraw from Creighton, though I really did love it there!
I can't really justify being $150,000 more in debt when I think my state school is pretty good too!

Good luck to everyone!

Grant,
we should totally keep in touch! You are one cool guy!

-Aileen
so what did you guys think about second look? top #4 hospital, wow. It was beautiful

UNC-or-BUST said:
so what did you guys think about second look? top #4 hospital, wow. It was beautiful
whoops, wrong thread... :oops: