Creighton University SOM - Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DRLaura said:
I chose Creighton. I can't wait to start. Now I get to go through all the wonderful finacial aid info you all are doing. Could one of you email me your spreadsheet so that I could see which lender would be best. Also (I'm sorry if this question has already been answered) but wouldn't it be better to go with an alternative loan for any remaining funds needed rather than a Grad PLUS loan. The grad plus loan has origination fees and most alternative loans do not. And since my first year alone I will have to take 43000+ in other loans I don't really want origination fees.

I would say take the Grad PLUS loans. My understanding is if you die (hopefully not) your significant other doesn't have to pay off the loan balance. With private loans, this is not the case.

More importantly, the interest rate is fixed. Private loans can't really touch the interest rate of 8.5 percent. I have great credit, and when I applied for private loans my interest rate was already above 8.5%. Plus, that rate can climb exponentially without anything to do with your credit. I don't like that idea with potentially 65-80k in loans.

Just my $0.02,

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone in town this week? I am searching for apartments until Saturday and it would be nice to meet up with anyone who is already here.

Whew.......is it muggy!

glenn503 said:
Is anyone in town this week? I am searching for apartments until Saturday and it would be nice to meet up with anyone who is already here.

Whew.......is it muggy!

I was just recently accepted off the waitlist, and after almost two weeks of deliberation, I chose Creighton! I am so excited too! I was kinda iffy all along about the school that I originally sent my money in to, but now having picked Creighton, there is no iffyness in my mind. I am set to go out there today, Friday afternoon, and will be there until Tuesday am, looking for housing and getting some things in order.

Can I also say that I am really excited to FINALLY be a part of an OFFICIAL class forum thread!? It's so nice to finally be SET and to be happy with my choice. ...and of course being happy that I get to meet everyone on here too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the class...you have chosen...wisely...good luck with the apartment search. Take a look at St. Regis Apartments at 621 S 37th St in Omaha. Let me know if you have any questions about Omaha or Creighton. See you all very soon....

A couple of things..... First, I am in the midst of deciding on my lender for my loans. From what you have all said and from looking at the incentives, I take it that Wells Fargo is the best option. Am I correct in my thinking? I already have about $25,000 in undergrad loans and will be racking up a ton from Creighton (I have no other source of income). So what do you all think is the best option?

Also, I never really introduced myself.... My name is Laura. I just turned 23. I have lived in Omaha for almost a year now. I am originally from South Dakota. I went to a small college in Sioux Center, IA, called Dordt College. I got a degree in Chemistry. I have been working at the Nebraska Medical Center as a nurse's assistant (or care tech as we call them) since October of last year.

As far as apartments and finding a place to live, when I moved to OMaha I wasn't really considering how close my apartment would be to school. So I currently live slightly west (about 120th...). I don't mind being that far a way for a little while, but will probably move closer once my lease runs out at the end of the year.

I can't wait until everything starts. I am already counting down the days!!!

I thought I would check and see if anyone on here was planning on doing the 9-hole golf scramble during orientation, and if so if you wanted to get a group together on here. Anyway, let me know for either real golf or mini-golf. Hope everyone is having a great summer and I can't wait to meet you all in August...

J Patton :)

Gandalf66502 said:
I thought I would check and see if anyone on here was planning on doing the 9-hole golf scramble during orientation, and if so if you wanted to get a group together on here. Anyway, let me know for either real golf or mini-golf. Hope everyone is having a great summer and I can't wait to meet you all in August...

J Patton :)

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to let you know I got back from Omaha yesterday. The weather was GREAT: low 80s and like no humidity. AND, the college world series...GO OSU.

I signed a lease. I am living in the Park Plaza Condos on 31st Ave, right off Dodge. I love my place and am really excited. I looked at tons and tons of apts it seemed, and there are some good places. One is Delta Apts(its on S 37th I think) So for all of you still going out there, good luck.

As for the golfing outing, honestly, I don't golf. I would love to drive the little cart around and sip a delicious beverage, but I don't know if that sort of "caddying" is allowed. Ha! Oh well, maybe the mini golf? I dunno. What's everyone else thinking?

:laugh:
swimncsc said:
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to let you know I got back from Omaha yesterday. The weather was GREAT: low 80s and like no humidity. AND, the college world series...GO OSU.

I signed a lease. I am living in the Park Plaza Condos on 31st Ave, right off Dodge. I love my place and am really excited. I looked at tons and tons of apts it seemed, and there are some good places. One is Delta Apts(its on S 37th I think) So for all of you still going out there, good luck.

As for the golfing outing, honestly, I don't golf. I would love to drive the little cart around and sip a delicious beverage, but I don't know if that sort of "caddying" is allowed. Ha! Oh well, maybe the mini golf? I dunno. What's everyone else thinking?

Hmm.. the golf. I too am not much of a golfer. I do like golf, but am horrible at it. Plus, the longer I play, the madder I get at the sport :laugh:
I also don't own clubs.

So, I am game playing real golf if the group I play with is all bad!! Mini-golf is neat too. Does anyone know if we can take significant others on this golf trip?

Changing subjects, I recently did my MPN and grad PLUS loans through Wells Fargo. They looked to have good incentives for the PLUS loans; and they were not the same when I initially looked into them months ago.

This is enough typing for me tonight, I'm excited to see and meet everyone in August!

So I am also really bad at golf and don't own clubs...so maybe a "studentdoctor.net" mini-golf team...

J Patton

Gandalf66502 said:
So I am also really bad at golf and don't own clubs...so maybe a "studentdoctor.net" mini-golf team...

J Patton

I'm all for a mini-golf team. Real golf just isn't my thing. The golf "outing" would take the rest of orientation if I went the real golf route. Let me know.

so i just got off of creighton's waitlist yesterday and i am in need of a roommate. pm me if you're interested. women only please.

ihateresearch said:
so i just got off of creighton's waitlist yesterday and i am in need of a roommate. pm me if you're interested. women only please.

Congratulations!!! See you in August.

Kevin

When applying for loans, did any of you decide to pay the unsubsidized interest while still in school? I can't decide whether or not this is a good idea for me because I will have no source of income during school so I would be paying for the interest with the loan... which doesn't really make much sense.... but on the other hand if I don't pay the interest it will start add up really quick.... what do you all think???

Members don't see this ad :)
DRLaura said:
When applying for loans, did any of you decide to pay the unsubsidized interest while still in school? I can't decide whether or not this is a good idea for me because I will have no source of income during school so I would be paying for the interest with the loan... which doesn't really make much sense.... but on the other hand if I don't pay the interest it will start add up really quick.... what do you all think???

I had the same dilemma and decided that without having an income, I would just hold off on paying the interest. As I see it, eventually everything will be paid off...30 years from now:) There's just so much money going into all this I've decided to just go with it and realize that one day I will be making enough to pay it all back. Maybe not the most thoroughly thought through plan, but it'll work out...haha

Anyone else getting excited? August 9th is almost here...can't wait to meet you all. Hope everyone's summer is going awsome. See you all in Omaha.

JPatton

Hello everyone,
Only a couple more weeks!!! I am getting so excited and little frazzled at the same time. I am quickly trying to finish up getting everything togther and ready to start. I was wondering how long it typically took between applying for loans and actually getting the money disbursed. It seems that every day some other thing comes up that cost money and I am just wondering when I will be getting the money to pay for it all..... But other than that I am so excited!!! Can't wait to start!!

Just venting but does anyone else think it is just a little annoying that we have to cough up $640 for equipement day one? Especially for me as I already have a panoptic optha-scope given to me by a 4th year and after talking with him he has only used it twice! :eek:

Oh well let the monetary hemorrhaging begin!

tegs15 said:
Just venting but does anyone else think it is just a little annoying that we have to cough up $640 for equipement day one? Especially for me as I already have a panoptic optha-scope given to me by a 4th year and after talking with him he has only used it twice! :eek:

Oh well let the monetary hemorrhaging begin!

It is annoying, but honestly.... it is part of the educational process. The $620, I believe, is provided in the financial aid package. My only question is, how will I have the loan funds PRIOR to orientation? My understanding is that it will take a good week and a half after the 9th to get my funds.

/Sigh... I agree.. let the spending begin! Hah.

By the way, who has signed up for the golf etc. and which are you doing; regular or mini?

gbleeker said:
It is annoying, but honestly.... it is part of the educational process. The $620, I believe, is provided in the financial aid package. My only question is, how will I have the loan funds PRIOR to orientation? My understanding is that it will take a good week and a half after the 9th to get my funds.

/Sigh... I agree.. let the spending begin! Hah.

By the way, who has signed up for the golf etc. and which are you doing; regular or mini?

I emailed the finacial aid people because I too was worried how I was going to be expected to pay for everything they have been emailing us about (equipment, parking, drug tests, etc...). They sent me the following email:

"Your start date is August 14th and the fall disbursement date is August
9th. We've been getting Grad PLUS funds for the last week for students
who started July 3rd, so I don't for see any problem having the funds at
the start of the school year. "

So hopefully everything will work out moneywise.... otherwise Creighton is just gonna have to wait.

I am getting so excited!! (I say that in just about every post I write) I only have to work at my job one more week (which is almost exciting as starting med school, but not quite). Oh and as for the golf I am doing the mini-golf. It should be fun. See you all soon!!

Who is in Omaha? I am moving into an appartment tomorrow and will be around for a week before I do some more traveling. If anyone in town would like to meet up let me know.

~Rick
I am doing mini golf too!

bkrick said:
Who is in Omaha? I am moving into an appartment tomorrow and will be around for a week before I do some more traveling. If anyone in town would like to meet up let me know.

~Rick
I am doing mini golf too!

Rick,

I am in town for good. If you would like to get together just pm me a cell number or something.

Grant

gbleeker said:
Rick,

I am in town for good. If you would like to get together just pm me a cell number or something.

Grant

I have been living in Omaha for almost a year now. So I know some of the things to do around town... sort of... I really like it here and I hope that the rest of you will too!

Laura

Hey everyone,

I moved into my place a couple days ago and am now in town for good also...well...at least for the rest of this week and then to Colorado for a couple days. I'm up for hanging out before orientation if it comes up. Hope everyone is doing well and I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Kevin

DRLaura said:
I have been living in Omaha for almost a year now. So I know some of the things to do around town... sort of... I really like it here and I hope that the rest of you will too!

Laura

Laura,
Since you are up on the O life, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for hair salons? Cuts, color? Do you have any favs? Or any places to steer clear of? If so, do you have the number?

Thanks so much!

swimncsc said:
Laura,
Since you are up on the O life, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for hair salons? Cuts, color? Do you have any favs? Or any places to steer clear of? If so, do you have the number?

Thanks so much!

I recently went to Garbo's salon. There are several locations throughout the big O. I thought they did a really good job and were reasonably priced. I've never colored my hair (its red and hard to color) so I don't so much know any thing about that. I've never heard anything bad about Garbo's. I can't remember the names of of hair salons.... I could ask my roommate... she has lived in Omaha all of her life.... And as for a number to garbo's it would depend on where you are living to which one you would want to go to....

Hey everyone,

Only a few more weeks! I think I'll be driving down to Omaha this weekend to check out my apartment, roommates, and whatnot. As far as golfing is concerned, I think I might go to the driving range today to see if I remember how to swing a club, if not, I'll most likely be in the mini-golf group.

Has anyone talked to any current med students about what books we should/shouldn't buy? I have the 5th edition of the Biochem book from undergrad, so I'm not sure what I want to do about that. I'm hesitent to buy any other books before I talk to anyone, but at the same time I'd like to buy them cheap online and have them in time for classes if we do need them. Either way, I can't wait to start spending money again, or something like that.

godawgs39 said:
Hey everyone,

Only a few more weeks! I think I'll be driving down to Omaha this weekend to check out my apartment, roommates, and whatnot. As far as golfing is concerned, I think I might go to the driving range today to see if I remember how to swing a club, if not, I'll most likely be in the mini-golf group.

Has anyone talked to any current med students about what books we should/shouldn't buy? I have the 5th edition of the Biochem book from undergrad, so I'm not sure what I want to do about that. I'm hesitent to buy any other books before I talk to anyone, but at the same time I'd like to buy them cheap online and have them in time for classes if we do need them. Either way, I can't wait to start spending money again, or something like that.

Everyone I have talked to recommended to me to wait until school starts to buy books. Several students told me that they don't ever use any of the "required" books.

gbleeker said:
Everyone I have talked to recommended to me to wait until school starts to buy books. Several students told me that they don't ever use any of the "required" books.

Two things:

Laura --thanks for the hair info. I need to get a trim and was trying to see if I should just wait until I get out there

Second, about the books, I was thinking the same thing as Grant. I have a few of the required texts already, but if worse comes to worse, I guess I can have a REALLY necessary book overnighted. Not thinking so though.

I suppose you guys are right. ;) For some probably very nerdy reason I always get excited when booklists come out. I guess I enjoy knowing that I got a book brand new online for cheaper than the used version in the book store. I guess I'll just have to be patient!

Here's a question for everyone. Is anyone else planning on purchasing season tickets for basketball? The M1s that gave the campus tour during the interview day told me that a lot of people in their class had tickets, so I'm hoping that the same will hold for our class.

godawgs39 said:
I suppose you guys are right. ;) For some probably very nerdy reason I always get excited when booklists come out. I guess I enjoy knowing that I got a book brand new online for cheaper than the used version in the book store. I guess I'll just have to be patient!

Here's a question for everyone. Is anyone else planning on purchasing season tickets for basketball? The M1s that gave the campus tour during the interview day told me that a lot of people in their class had tickets, so I'm hoping that the same will hold for our class.

I know I am planning on basketball tickets.... but then again I have lived in Omaha for almost a year and have many friends who have loved Creighton basketball all their lives.

I was wondering where all you people who do get books on the internet, get them. Do have one particular website where you go? I for one am excited about the books and equipment and stuff (I know that makes me a super nerd). But it just makes it all so real. For the longest time I was just concerned about getting in... fill out this application, do this volunteer work, do research here, go to this interview, take these classes, do this, do that... now it is finally sinking in that I am actually going to be a doctor!!! I can't wait!

have you guys gotten books already or are you just waiting until we get there? I'm getting pretty bored just sitting around my apartment waiting for next week. In a few weeks i'll probably wish i was sitting around doing nothing.

ihateresearch said:
I'm getting pretty bored just sitting around my apartment waiting for next week. In a few weeks i'll probably wish i was sitting around doing nothing.

That is the truth!

I have a few books; I got a hardcover version of netter's atlas... speaking with students it sounded like I would definitely need it. I have not purchased Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy because other students told me that basically you don't have time to study 3 - 5 books. After you study in lab, and use the prof's notes, you don't have time to pour yourself into another seperate book. If I need it later, I'll get it later. Until then, I have Netters, the BRS anatomy book (author is Chung I believe) and Grey's Anatomy for students to kind of pre-study right now since I haven't had anatomy for just short of 4 years.

I will get on later and post the exact books that I have already, based on student recommendations. Several said the board review series (BRS) books are some of the best because they compact information down into what you really need and they can be a big help studying for Creighton's tests. We will all see once we get started I guess.

Wednesday is coming fast!

First off, a big THANK YOU to Grant (gbleeker) for helping me move into my apartment yesterday. I would have pulled a few back muscles trying to lift the TV.

Now that we are only a few days from Orientation, is anyone still interested in lil' pre-Orientation get-together? I am game if others are...

Let me also express my distaste for the mandatory purchase of the "required" equipment. I've heard from other medical students for many years how they regretted purchasing so-called required equipment at the beginning of school. I always thought it was an option for students, and that beginning-of-the-year jitters clouded their minds and caused them to buy this stuff. You can sense my disbelief when I received the e-mail from Mr. Williams explaining how the equipment was "required" and "integrated" into the revised curriculum. I call BS. Yes, we need to carry stethoscope, pen light and a visual acuity card, but a blood pressure cuff? And a otoscope? I guarantee that every exam room we enter, including rural ones, will have a sphygmomanometer and otoscope hanging on the wall. Even if that isn't the case, our mock exam rooms should incorporate these items. I already foresee shelves full of this stuff collecting dust. I see no reason why every single student should purchase them, and for that reason, I am going to hold from buying them until I see it necessary or the administration grabs the check out of my hand. I hope you will join me in boycotting this required absurdity.

Enjoy the last few remaining days of your freedom. See you on Wednesday if not sooner.

Hey everyone,

We have this weekend and then Monday and Tuesday before we begin the rest of our lives (or at least the next four years). Let's take advantage of the last couple days and do something. It would be awesome to meet downtown at Upstream or to even meet at a park to play some ultimate frisbee or football or something. PM me and let me know if you're in, when, and what sounds good. I'm open any night or day before orientation. I hope everyone is getting settled and doing well. I hope to hear from all of you.

Kevin

First of all, having taken gross anatomy at Creighton Med and TAing it, I would say that you definitely need a Netter for the practical exams and a Moore for the written. Not to mention that the Moore book is actually Moore and Dalley, with Dr. Dalley being the head of the anatomy department at Creighton before Dr. Quinn. As far as Chung...it is a great study guide, but for some reason the professors frown upon us using it...some think mainly because they take actual questions for exams from it. I also think you might get a free netter for joining some professional organization. Also, once you find out your anatomy groups, you should elect someones Netter to be the "Greaser" and stay in the anatomy lab. You also need the anatomy dissection book which I can't remember the name of right now.

As far as the "Mandatory equipment"...I am really jazzed to buy the stuff. After waiting for so long to get in, I don't care if we won't use it. Having "my first blood pressure cuff" in my office someday might be cool. I still can't believe I am buying a stethoscope in medical school to actually use on real people. You also might want to practice some things at home, so it might be nice to have your own equipment. As far as cost...after spending what we are spending on school, the cost for equipment is a drop in the bucket. Just my two cents worth.

I am all for a little pre-orientation get together. I will be in town late Monday night, so I would say shoot for Tuesday evening...maybe dinner and drinks at upstream? Anyway...see you all really soon.

Hi future Creighton M1s!
I'm currently an M4 at Creighton and would just like to say congrats on deciding to come to Creighton. My 3+ years have been great so far and I think you guys will find out that you made the right decision to come to Creighton. I remember the days when I went on SDN constantly when I was applying to medical school and decided to drop in cause I was bored of studying (for Step II). If anyone has any questions about Creighton or Omaha in general, send me a PM, I'll try to respond.

Jetson

P.S. I'm a huge Creighton basketball fan (we are gonna be REALLY GOOD this year) as well and have had time to make almost every game. Students do not need season tickets. If you have an ID card, you get in for free; however, this year, I have a feeling you'll need to come to the games early in order to get student seats.

I'm down for some dinner and/or drinks at Upstream on Tuesday. Any other takers?

Well...not the largest response ever, but I can live with that. Not sure what you would like to do. Though Upstream sounds as good as anything. If you know of anyone else to invite...I will call the only other M1 that I know from grad school. I think I have Grant Bleekers number as well. My cell is 402-212-7140

Gandalf66502 said:
Well...not the largest response ever, but I can live with that. Not sure what you would like to do. Though Upstream sounds as good as anything. If you know of anyone else to invite...I will call the only other M1 that I know from grad school. I think I have Grant Bleekers number as well. My cell is 402-212-7140

Hey! I don't think I got to meet anyone today that I actually have been talking to on here. So I guess I can introduce myself...I'm Paige. Maybe I can meet Grant and Kevin and some of you others tomorrow?

Any of you going to the bar tonight or tomorrow? I was thinking about definitely tomorrow. How about everyone else?

Ciao for now!

I am planning on going tomorrow night. I'll keep an eye out for you tomorrow, Paige. Hope everyone had an awesome first day.

Kevin

Congratulations to everyone. Here's to a good four years.

glenn503 said:
Congratulations to everyone. Here's to a good four years.

here here!

Anyone going tonight or tomorrow night? Let me know, k! 215-301-5711

-Paige

what books did you guys all buy? I'm so confused about this situation.

Hi All,

I am also pretty sure that I will be heading to Creighton in the fall. I was very impressed by the school.

I am 23, went to undergrad at Arizona State, graduated in 2004. I currently reside in Portland, OR, and working at OHSU. I interviewed 11/4 and got the acceptance on 11/25 (it was a very happy Thanksgiving for me).

I probably will be heading out there closer to orientation but will definitely need a few weeks to settle in. I look forward to meeting all of you!
What did you find so impressive about the school?
I don't know much about it but am curious to find out. =)