Creighton University SOM - Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AL112934 said:
Hi everyone!

I've decided to also withdraw from Creighton, though I really did love it there!
I can't really justify being $150,000 more in debt when I think my state school is pretty good too!

Good luck to everyone!

Grant,
we should totally keep in touch! You are one cool guy!

-Aileen

Aileen,

Sad to hear that, but then again.. finances have a huge part to play in the decision and I don't blame you at all. Hopefully our paths will cross again soon! Best of luck to you!

Grant

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Creighton prospective students!

Congrats on getting in!

I don't go to Creighton, but had the opportunity to do a 4th year away clerkship with some of their faculty and students. Though I only met 6 or 8 of their med students and a dozen more faculty, they were a remarkable & pretty tight-knit group of people and I would have loved to go to school with them.

Though it's still far off, it's good to know about some of the opportunities you will have available to you in your clinical years of medical school. Some of you already know about this, but Creighton has an excellent 4th year rotation, especially if you're interested in International Health, through the Institute for Latin American Concern (ILAC). I really like my own med school and all, but the 7wks I did with ILAC was by far the best time of my entire academic career, and it was doing meaningful work. For more info check out their website at http://www.creighton.edu/ILAC/ and read about the summer program. Its an amazing experience.

Good luck with your decision and with medical school!! Feel free to PM me with any questions about ILAC.

-Ralph Wiggum
M4, Northwestern

Take a look at the 2006 matchlist on the cumc home page - http://medicine.creighton.edu, It is pretty impressive.

Good luck all, and you will really enjoy Creighton, I sure did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lloyd Christmas said:
Take a look at the 2006 matchlist on the cumc home page - http://medicine.creighton.edu, It is pretty impressive.

Good luck all, and you will really enjoy Creighton, I sure did.

I was looking at the match list by name, and there's a picture at the bottom. Any idea of who's in the picture? There's no caption.

Ralantha said:
I was looking at the match list by name, and there's a picture at the bottom. Any idea of who's in the picture? There's no caption.

The picture at the bottom is one of most/all of the M4s who have kids (along with their kids and spouses) at match day. I counted 18 M4s in the picture.

Match day is a big class event. You get together on campus and find out where you all have matched. Your name is drawn at random and you then proceed to go up to the podium and read where you have matched into the microphone. It is a good time, but it is stressful and fun at the same time.

Hey everyone,

I interviewed on 03/24 and I found out yesterday on the phone (I called Dr. Nipper because I had a few questions) that I have been admitted! Two weeks ago I was rejected from Colorado, so naturally I'm pretty excited about getting into Creighton. I’ve only interviewed at one other school, Jefferson Medical College, and I should find out from them this week. I loved the program and the students at Creighton (actually more than Colorado), but JMC was nice too. Any advice?

Oh and about me: I'm a senior at Kenyon College in Ohio, finishing up my Chemistry major. I play on our Ultimate team, so if anyone else plays frisbee, let me know. Right now I'm just happy that I don't have to find a job for next year.

Congratulations on getting into Creighton, and welcome to the group. I don't know much about the other school you spoke of, but I do know that Creighton is a top notch medical school and the students and faculty are awesome. I say go with what you think will make you the most happy, but my votes for Creighton, plus you will get to meet all of the awsome people on this thread.... :laugh:

scrambizle said:
Hey everyone,

I interviewed on 03/24 and I found out yesterday on the phone (I called Dr. Nipper because I had a few questions) that I have been admitted! Two weeks ago I was rejected from Colorado, so naturally I'm pretty excited about getting into Creighton. I’ve only interviewed at one other school, Jefferson Medical College, and I should find out from them this week. I loved the program and the students at Creighton (actually more than Colorado), but JMC was nice too. Any advice?

Oh and about me: I'm a senior at Kenyon College in Ohio, finishing up my Chemistry major. I play on our Ultimate team, so if anyone else plays frisbee, let me know. Right now I'm just happy that I don't have to find a job for next year.

Congrats on getting into Creighton! I hope you are excited; I sure am! Tell us a little about yourself, if you don't mind.

Greetings all. Per request of gbleeker I will share some of my perspective on Creighton. I am currently a fourth year at Creighton, so I am in the midst of filling out residency paperwork and trying to find a place to live in the city where I have matched for my residency. I have very much enjoyed my last four years here at Creighton. I truly feel that we recieve an excellent basic science and clinical education here. You will work hard in your time in med school, but for the most part, it is very enjoyable. What really stands out here are the quality of my classmates, they are all warm, welcoming people, and we really take the time to help each other out. Whether that was in the basic science years by studying together, or in the clinical years by working as a team or covering someone's call.

As far as which books to buy, I am the wrong source to ask at this point as I am a little too far removed from the basic science years, and I'm sure they are using different books now. My advice is just don't go nuts buying books right away, lecture notes are fairly comprehensive, but you will want to get some books to supplement your learning. For first year, you should get a Netter Altas for anatomy, and anatomy book to read (I used Moore), and maybe a biochem book if you really want. Also, buy a Robbins for pathology, which you will use at least in your first two years. However, I would try to talk with some M1 and M2's when you get to school and get their perspective.

Where to live? There are many decently priced apartments around the city of Omaha. Many people live close to Creighton, but some also live out west. You can live as far west as like 120th St and still be to Creighton in well under 20-30 min (depending on your route and traffic, which is never bad). The area around Creighton is a little "rougher" but it is liveable.

gbleeker said:
Congrats on getting into Creighton! I hope you are excited; I sure am! Tell us a little about yourself, if you don't mind.

Sure. Like I said above, I'm a senior going to college in Ohio. I'm from Colorado, so I'm somewhat excited to be a little closer to home. I've done a lot of research (chem. major), but I'm very eager to get out of the lab, so I'm excited that Creighton produces great clinicians. Now I need to learn how to drive, get a car, and find a place to live -- should be busy summer. Anyone else from CO? Also, does anyone know if we get any say in choosing our preceptors?

scrambizle,

I live between Denver and Boulder. When you are back in Colorado let me know. It'd be fun to meet someone from this thread in person!!

bkrick said:
scrambizle,

I live between Denver and Boulder. When you are back in Colorado let me know. It'd be fun to meet someone from this thread in person!!

Yeah that would be cool. I'm from the springs, but I should be in Denver alot.

Anyone know how long it takes to get access to the banner once you get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone chosen a lender yet and filled out the applications for loans? I'm just curious who used which vendor(s).

Has anyone filled out the loan applications? I thought you couldn't until May 1st or that is when they become available? Anyway...I will likely go with Access...or Nelnet...since that is who I have my undergrad and grad school loans consolidated with. I also have a friend that is in financial aid at Wichita State and several financial aid friends from my days at Kansas State University. They might have some suggestions as far as the best choice for private loans. I will let you all know what I hear. And not to sound too freaky...but I am counting the days until school starts...either because I have worked so long/hard for this...or because I hate my job so much. :)

J Patton

Just checking to see if the rumors are correct that Creighton accepted more ASU students this year than U of A. If your from ASU and headed to Creighton let us know.

I'm definetly head to Omaha! Their match list this year was consistent with previous years, very positive. But the big selling point for me was how all the students seemed relaxed and happy- essential to success in med school.

tegs15 said:
Just checking to see if the rumors are correct that Creighton accepted more ASU students this year than U of A. If your from ASU and headed to Creighton let us know.

I'm definetly head to Omaha! Their match list this year was consistent with previous years, very positive. But the big selling point for me was how all the students seemed relaxed and happy- essential to success in med school.

We had previously added up everyone that was from Arizona, but of course things have probably changed for a lot people since then. I am an ASU graduate and still heading to Creighton at this point. Go Sun Devils!

I haven't filled out the loan application yet. I am trying to compare the preferred lenders right now. Do you think that the Federal Plus Loan is going to give us a better a rate over the life of the loan in comparison to the average private loan? I know this depends on the person and their credit but this is the first year it will be offered to professional students, and I am wondering how many people are going that route instead of a private loan to make up the difference after Stafford loans. Keep this in mind when you are accepting your federal loans - you will have to indicate that you don't want the Plus loan if you are accepting a private loan.

Glenn

I spoke with the financial aid office about this issue and they strongly recommended the Grad Plus loan. Their arguements were that although some of the private loans advertise a lower interest rate very few people really qualify for the lower rate in the end and with the perceived continual increase of interest rate in the future private loans are only going to get more costly. I think these are valid arguements and have chosen to go with the Grad Plus loan my self.

tegs15

tegs15 said:

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3609931

"Just 38 percent of Colorado residents who applied to any medical school in the country in 2005 enrolled in one, the lowest rate in the nation besides Arizona. Three- quarters of state residents who go to medical school end up at out-of- state schools ranked below CU, Krugman said.

This is despite the fact that Colorado residents applying to medical school are academically above the national average, he said.

Arizona, whose matriculation rate was just 34 percent in 2005, is doubling its class size with a new Phoenix campus, he said."

Sucks to be from out west I guess.

Yes, it does. Especially when your state school gets 3% of its budget from state appropriations and has the highest in-state tuition west of the Mississippi.

Anyone bought any books yet? I purchased the latest edition of Netter's, Bate's, and a few BRS books.

Fortunately, I already have Netter and the Biochem book from undergrad. I asked my student host about books and he suggested that I wait until I get there to buy any books because some we'll never use and others we'll be able to get cheap from older students that don't need/want them anymore.

Can I just say that searching for apartments sucks! Don't get me wrong, it is awesome that I am searching for an apartment for MEDICAL SCHOOL, but it is such a taxing and arduous task to do when you don't know the area and can't visit the properties on a whim. Current students have recommended the Dundee neighborhood for its convenience and affordability and the new revamped parts of downtown if you willing to spend a little extra. I know that Omaha is supposed to be the kind of town where you can get anywhere within thirty minutes, but I would rather not have to drive 20-25 minutes to get to school. Any recommendations from those of you that know the city or out-of-staters in the same position? Areas, neighbohoods, or even specific complexes that I should target? Just looking for a one bedroom. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time finding a place. I'm still debating what to do as far as my living situation. Initially, I was all about finding my own place downtown because I wanted a nice place and didn't mind the thought of spending the extra money. What's an extra $1-2k a year when we're paying close to $5 million to go to Creighton right? Well, that thought quickly left my head and I started thinking about trying to find a roommate so that I'd have some money in case we actually have some free time. I was warming up to that idea until I found out that not only do I have family in the Omaha area (my first real conversation with them was the day after my interview before I left), but they offered me a place to stay in their house.

They live about 25-30 minutes away, which isn't a huge deal, but I'm so used to being no more than 10 minutes away from classes. I've been told that they have a pretty nice house and I know that they're the definition of "good people", so I don't think there would be any conflicts, plus I would save so much money by doing that. They're in their early 50s, but they're pretty cool and there isn't anyone else in the house. So that's where I'm at. Stay with family for free, but be 30 minutes away and not have anyone w/in 25 years of my age nearby, or find a roommate and spend the money to live closer to campus and have someone there that knows how crazy things are. I think I have all but settled on staying with family, but who knows. At least we're in, I'm glad I'm worrying about this rather than where am I going to in the fall.

glenn,
What properties did you visit? Did they want you to make an appointment? I'm going to be in Omaha next week to look for a place and it would be nice to get a head start instead of wasting my time. I'll most likely be looking in the dundee area, or downtown. I have family from Omaha and they strongly advise not to live in north omaha (anything north of Cuming and east of radial/fontenelle blvd). Most other places are acceptable. Keep in mind that typically the further west you go the nicer and more expensive the places are (excluding downtown). The downside would be the commute... especially when the streets are covered in snow and ice.

bkrick said:
I have family from Omaha and they strongly advise not to live in north omaha (anything north of Cuming and east of radial/fontenelle blvd). Most other places are acceptable. Keep in mind that typically the further west you go the nicer and more expensive the places are (excluding downtown). The downside would be the commute... especially when the streets are covered in snow and ice.

Bkrick,

Has your family offered you a place to stay? I'm debating on whether or not to take that option and I'm curious as to what others think or have heard about living with family during med school. They live 30 minutes away, so that would be somewhat of a commute, though it wouldn't be something that I would dread.

On a different topic, at some point at the end of this week I'll take a little time to actually introduce myself. I'll be joining you guys in Omaha in the fall so I'd like to get to know some people ahead of time. Take care and thanks for any replies!

glenn503 said:
Can I just say that searching for apartments sucks! Don't get me wrong, it is awesome that I am searching for an apartment for MEDICAL SCHOOL, but it is such a taxing and arduous task to do when you don't know the area and can't visit the properties on a whim. Current students have recommended the Dundee neighborhood for its convenience and affordability and the new revamped parts of downtown if you willing to spend a little extra. I know that Omaha is supposed to be the kind of town where you can get anywhere within thirty minutes, but I would rather not have to drive 20-25 minutes to get to school. Any recommendations from those of you that know the city or out-of-staters in the same position? Areas, neighbohoods, or even specific complexes that I should target? Just looking for a one bedroom. Thanks.

I would really recommend finding a place downtown - there are some cheaper apartments to be had (Orpheum Tower or Kensington Tower come to mind). You'll be close to Creighton, in a nice neighborhood, and can walk home from the bars after exams ! Dundee is nice, although some of the places can be pricey. I live south of the Nebraska Med Center on 42nd St which is nice - still close to downtown/midtown, affordable and safe.

bkrick said:
glenn,
What properties did you visit? Did they want you to make an appointment? I'm going to be in Omaha next week to look for a place and it would be nice to get a head start instead of wasting my time. I'll most likely be looking in the dundee area, or downtown. I have family from Omaha and they strongly advise not to live in north omaha (anything north of Cuming and east of radial/fontenelle blvd). Most other places are acceptable. Keep in mind that typically the further west you go the nicer and more expensive the places are (excluding downtown). The downside would be the commute... especially when the streets are covered in snow and ice.

I currently live in Oregon and I haven't made a return trip to Omaha yet, so I haven't seen any properties. The root of my frustration is searching for properties online. Websites like forrent.com or apartments.com only list complexes that are willing to fork out the $ to be listed. Your search results are even further stratified by the listing priority that pay for (i.e. more $ = closer to the beginning of the list). This makes it difficult to get a realisitic view of what is available. Wouldn't it be nice if all cities did something lke this: http://www.ci.tigard.or.us/community/almanac/docs/appendix_d_map.pdf

I'll stop my complaining now but I'm just trying to narrow down a list of places before my return trip so I'm not roaming aimlessly around the city, eating up precious gallons of gas and time. I am looking for a place that is within a 10-15 minute drive of the campus. The last thing I want to do before class at 8am is drive 25-30 minutes in traffic.

godawgs39 said:
At least we're in, I'm glad I'm worrying about this rather than where am I going to in the fall.

I second that godawgs39 -- this should be the least of our worries about medical school.

At least you have family in town. Even if you don't live with them, you can still hop over to their house for some home cooked meals once in awhile. :)

bkrick,
I'm from CO Springs...a senior at Univ of Co at CO Springs. I was accepted to Creighton in November and am still trying to decide between Creighton and USUHS (the military school). I love Creighton but the military offers a pretty sweet deal. I got snubbed by CU too! I was more impressed by Creighton's environment during the interviews though..although the new CU campus is gorgeous. Anyhow...good to hear there'll be someone from around here up in Omaha.

scrambizle, i love frisbee!...not too good at disc golf right now but i play ultimate as often as i can. I hear you on not entering the real world yet...i'm not ready. in the meantime we should play frisbee and enjoy creighton

I would check out http://www.creightonmedical.org, there is some housing stuff on there. There are plenty of decent apartments within 5-20 minutes of Creighton. Back in the day I used rent.com or apartments.com or whatever and found a decent apartment. And I think the place that I live in now is on rent.com. As long as you live east of 120th you should be well within 15-20 minutes of Creighton.
There are houses for rent in Dundee if you want to live with roommates and there are a few apartments there too, but I think it is a little overpriced.
Really, you can't go wrong anywhere east of 120th as long as you don't live directly north of Creighton (in North Omaha), which is a little rougher area.
PM me if you have more questions and I can try to answer.

Hey everyone, as you can see from my sig I'm going to Creighton's dental school this fall. Can any of you comment on Verizon wireless' service around Creighton and the more popular areas to live (Dundee, etc.). I've lost my cell phone and I'm trying to decide between a cheap tri-mode and the treo 650 (which doesn't have analog roaming). Thanks for the help. :)

I was wondering if anyone who had an interview for the school of medicine on april 7th has heard back from the school.

I live in Omaha right now and work at Creighton. I am waitlisted for next year :( . Anyway I thought I'd comment on the living situation. If I were concerned about the commute I would live downtown in a loft or something. I don't know how expensive they are, but I've seen some nice ones. I live on 97th and Maple and I drive about 20 minutes to work in the morning. As was said earlier do not live north of Creighton or east of 90th street. It's pretty bad (in my opinion). The farther west you go the nicer. If you have any questions let me know or pm me. I'd be happy to help.

I will put this out there again...check out DUDA realty in Omaha. I have been living in St. Regis apartments and they are awesome. I went to grad school at Creighton and will be starting med school there with all of you fine people. There are several other Creighton and UNO med students that live in the complex. It is about 10 minutes from campus and only 750 for a two bedroom. Trying to recruit more Creighton med students to move in. If anyone has any questions about the area or needs help finding anything give me a call (402-212-7140) or email ([email protected]). I will also be in town this weekend if anyone wants to look at the apartments.

As far as books go...having taking several courses with the medical students (my masters is in clinical anatomy...no gross for me...lol) I would second the suggestion to wait to buy books...some are wastes and some you can't live without. I have several books that someone could borrow...(netter/chung/moore).

On a side note...is anyone looking at either a tablet PC or a PDA? have been reading that more and more med students and doctors are using Palm Pilots for a lot of cool things. I also know that KU is requiring all incoming med students to purchase tablet PCs for school...no more microscopes and for online textbooks among other things. Just wondered if anyone was thinking along those lines and if they had any suggestions on brand. Later.

Jared M Patton

Gandalf66502 said:
On a side note...is anyone looking at either a tablet PC or a PDA? have been reading that more and more med students and doctors are using Palm Pilots for a lot of cool things. I also know that KU is requiring all incoming med students to purchase tablet PCs for school...no more microscopes and for online textbooks among other things. Just wondered if anyone was thinking along those lines and if they had any suggestions on brand. Later.

I would not get a PDA or anything at least until your third year. I used one a lot during my third and fourth years, but you DO NOT need one at all during your first two years. Wait until you are an M3, when you can get better stuff for less and then get a PDA with wireless so you can have access to the wireless patient data while in the hospital.
Let me know if there are any more questions about stuff like this and I can try to answer any.

mochafreak said:
Hey everyone, as you can see from my sig I'm going to Creighton's dental school this fall. Can any of you comment on Verizon wireless' service around Creighton and the more popular areas to live (Dundee, etc.). I've lost my cell phone and I'm trying to decide between a cheap tri-mode and the treo 650 (which doesn't have analog roaming). Thanks for the help. :)

I'm curious about this as well...I have verizon and a lot of time left on my contract, so I'm hoping that service is pretty good.

godawgs39 said:
I'm curious about this as well...I have verizon and a lot of time left on my contract, so I'm hoping that service is pretty good.

yeah Verizon works.

Well, that's just great. I just had what was probably the greatest post in the history of SDN, and the stupid computer at school lost it when I pressed submit.

Ah well, now you'll have to live with this lame version of said great post. ;) So I was thinking that we need to do a better job of keeping this thread on the first page and because I have yet to formally introduce myself, I thought that now, while I should be studying for my finals next week, would be a great time to do just that.

I'm two weeks away from graduating from Marquette University in Milwaukee. I'm a dude that grew up in Northwestern Illinois, though I'm one of the few people that refuses to call it a suburb of Chicago as it's 50 miles away. I love Marquette basketball and made sure to ask the students if they had enough time to go to Creighton games, which they all said yes. So if anyone in our class is big into college basketball, be sure to let me know!

Me thinks that I'll be heading down to Omaha around Aug 1st-ish so that I can get acclimated before orientation. Right now I'm pretty sure that I'll be living with family outside of Omaha, that way I'll only have to take out about $2.5 jillion in loans. From what I've heard, they have a huge (60"?) tv and made it very clear to me that if I want to invite some friends over to watch the Bears or anything else worth watching, that I'm more than welcome to...so any Bears/football/skating with the stars (how did that ever get cancelled by the way? :smuggrin: ) fans, you let me know!

Even though I'm in school right now, I'm looking forward to heading down to Omaha, meeting everyone and getting started. I'll be ready to work hard, but I'm hoping that I won't be the only one ready to go out and throw a few back on the weekends, or in between classes. I kid of course, I'm not a big party guy, but I like to have fun. I'm also definitely not socially inept, but I do work hard and I can't wait to meet everyone. That should end it for now, just know that I'm pretty laid back, I love Marquette bball/Bears/sports in general, and I have the worst case of Senioritis in the history of man.

If anyone has time or doesn't have the time but feels like procrastinating, help keep this thread on the first page and introduce yourself a little more. Hopefully some other classmates will start posting so that we can get to know eachother a little more before we all get thrown into the mix. Also, if you're really bored, take that fancy, personalized Creighton e-mail address that you received and go sign up for a facebook account. I know that some people despise facebook and everything that it stands for, but it's a good way to keep in touch. Myspace is too for that matter, I just set up a profile on that, though I'm determined to not get sucked into the black hole that has been for some of my friends. Hope to hear from some more people, I'll be a lot more active on here (post wise) now that school is ending. Sorry that this got long, I tend to not shut up, it's something I've come to terms with and am trying to work on.

Rick

godawgs39 said:
Well, that's just great. I just had what was probably the greatest post in the history of SDN, and the stupid computer at school lost it when I pressed submit.

Ah well, now you'll have to live with this lame version of said great post. ;) So I was thinking that we need to do a better job of keeping this thread on the first page and because I have yet to formally introduce myself, I thought that now, while I should be studying for my finals next week, would be a great time to do just that.

I'm two weeks away from graduating from Marquette University in Milwaukee. I'm a dude that grew up in Northwestern Illinois, though I'm one of the few people that refuses to call it a suburb of Chicago as it's 50 miles away. I love Marquette basketball and made sure to ask the students if they had enough time to go to Creighton games, which they all said yes. So if anyone in our class is big into college basketball, be sure to let me know!

Me thinks that I'll be heading down to Omaha around Aug 1st-ish so that I can get acclimated before orientation. Right now I'm pretty sure that I'll be living with family outside of Omaha, that way I'll only have to take out about $2.5 jillion in loans. From what I've heard, they have a huge (60"?) tv and made it very clear to me that if I want to invite some friends over to watch the Bears or anything else worth watching, that I'm more than welcome to...so any Bears/football/skating with the stars (how did that ever get cancelled by the way? :smuggrin: ) fans, you let me know!

Even though I'm in school right now, I'm looking forward to heading down to Omaha, meeting everyone and getting started. I'll be ready to work hard, but I'm hoping that I won't be the only one ready to go out and throw a few back on the weekends, or in between classes. I kid of course, I'm not a big party guy, but I like to have fun. I'm also definitely not socially inept, but I do work hard and I can't wait to meet everyone. That should end it for now, just know that I'm pretty laid back, I love Marquette bball/Bears/sports in general, and I have the worst case of Senioritis in the history of man.

If anyone has time or doesn't have the time but feels like procrastinating, help keep this thread on the first page and introduce yourself a little more. Hopefully some other classmates will start posting so that we can get to know eachother a little more before we all get thrown into the mix. Also, if you're really bored, take that fancy, personalized Creighton e-mail address that you received and go sign up for a facebook account. I know that some people despise facebook and everything that it stands for, but it's a good way to keep in touch. Myspace is too for that matter, I just set up a profile on that, though I'm determined to not get sucked into the black hole that has been for some of my friends. Hope to hear from some more people, I'll be a lot more active on here (post wise) now that school is ending. Sorry that this got long, I tend to not shut up, it's something I've come to terms with and am trying to work on.

Rick

Hey Everyone,

Just found this forum out there and wanted to introduce myself... almost 100% set on Creighton, loved the school when I visited; however the financial aid freaked me out a bit when I finally sat down and looked at how much I would actually have to borrow! Anyway, looking forward to seeing you all in August.

Rick- I live in Milwaukee too, the Marquette bball team is my favorite sports team :)

Good to meet you Maria! You are definitely right about the whole cost recognition. I knew it would be expensive, but it doesn't really hit you until you start applying for the actual loans! It will pay itself off though. Starting out is nothing but an investment for the future.

I little about myself if you didn't read all the pages of the thread: I am 23, turning 24 in August, and getting married in June. I will be moving to Omaha sometime in early June before my wedding to get situated. We will most likely be living in East Pointe apartments near 85th and Giles (South of I-80, about 15 min. or so from Creighton). My fiance is currently a high school art teacher and is looking for positions at the moment in Omaha and the surrounding areas. Sadly, she is having a hard time finding teaching positions open.

I graduated last May, and have spent the past year living in Missouri working full time as a pharmacy techician. Before graduation, when I had spare time I enjoyed playing racquetball. I also love to fish and hunt. I graduated with a Biology degree but also have a minor in general music. I have played the piano for almost 16 years, and I have played the sax (alto mostly, but all of them) for almost 11 years. I live for all things jazz. Smooth jazz need not apply (no -- Kenny G is not jazz). Ahem.... I digress. So I love all sorts of music, especially instrumental. I have all sorts of odd hobbies, and I can't wait to meet everyone and start school. I am a nerd when it comes to class; I don't hate classes like most people. Rather, I enjoy learning things, and couldn't be more excited to finally get into full time involvement with medicine and not have to worry about annoying pre-reqs and gen eds.

I will be in Omaha most the summer before classes start in mid-August, so if anyone is around I would be more than happy to meet and we could grab a bite to eat or whatever suits your fancy.

I am at work right now though, so I had better end this post.

Grant,

Have you contacted anyone from Creighton regarding your fiance's job search? I don't know how it works, but I know that at other schools, there are people that are very good at helping the significant other find employment. If you haven't already, maybe try and shoot Dr. Nipper an e-mail. If you already discussed this in this thread, I apologize for being lazy. Hope she finds something soon!

Also, I'm a nerd when it comes to class too, I like learning and stuff. Though, that clearly doesn't apply during the last month of my last year. As described above, senioritis has taken over my life and I have skipped way too many classes these past couple weeks...ah well. Good luck!

taking a break from studying for finals...thought I'd give the thread a little bumpity bump bump...

Has anyone finished the immunization form and sent it in? Does a doctor just have to verify your records? I have all the shots, just need to get a doctor to sign off? Will anyone be in Omaha the week of the 22nd-26th?

JPatton

PS...anyone else watch LOST???

Gandalf66502 said:
Has anyone finished the immunization form and sent it in? Does a doctor just have to verify your records? I have all the shots, just need to get a doctor to sign off? Will anyone be in Omaha the week of the 22nd-26th?

JPatton

I never received an immunization form... did it come with the acceptance letter? I have a feeling I may be somewhat behind on these immunization schedules, I definitely need to get on that!

Maria52 said:
I never received an immunization form... did it come with the acceptance letter? I have a feeling I may be somewhat behind on these immunization schedules, I definitely need to get on that!

I think I'm a little behind on that too, but I made sure that I got my Hep B series started...if you haven't done that yet, get on it right away, it's supposed to take 6 months for all three shots...

Gandalf66502 said:

JPatton

Lost is definitely on my list of shows that gets DVR'd every week...I missed all of the first season, but the roommate filled me in and now I'm definitely hooked!

Gandalf66502 said:

JPatton

I am working on finishing up a few, but yeah, a doctor just has to review your records and sign off on the back of the form. There is one exception though, you HAVE to get a Hep B titer even if you have documentation. Also, if you got the chicken pox as a kid, documentation of the illness is not good enough. You will need to get a titer.

I postponed my apartment hunting trip until the end of June. After that, two weeks in Costa Rica and then time to start packing! I don't know about you guys, but I am getting pretty excited to leave behind the monotony of my current job and move on to bigger and better things.

Glenn

For the immunizations, everything posted above is correct. You don't have to have the Heb B series completed though, just started. Therefore, you wouldn't have to have the Heb B titer drawn until your third and final shot in the series during the sixth month.

I can't wait to get to Omaha and start this next chapter in my life! I will be moving to Omaha in the beginning of June and will most likely be there all summer. If anyone is around I'd love to meet you!

Grant

I received an email from the financial aid lady saying that depending on the lender you choose you can start filling out the application for this type of loan. I am going with Accessgroup since I have had loans with them in the past. Double checking on the 3% origination fee though...not sure if that is ok or not...on the website it says the 3% is mandatory...so not sure if that is something that all Grad Plus loans have? Anyway....has anyone else applied yet? I am a little worried about the whole credit thing...

J Patton