Creighton vs. FSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

justinbieberfan

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am in the process of deciding whether I should attend FSU or Creighton in Omaha next year. I am a Florida resident and am interested in subspecializing in pediatrics.

FSU Pros:
-in state tuition
-decent in the match
-since regional campuses only have 20 or so students per class, you get a lot of individual attention
-more diverse patient population
-closer to home

FSU Cons:
-large focus on primary care
-have to move to one of 6 regional campuses after 2 years, with no guarantee on which city I will be assigned until after I start
-more community based and is lacking academic institution ties
-started in 2000, so still fairly new

Creighton Pros:
-very well organized
-religious ties
-decent match list
-more established than FSU
-better research opportunities
-good facilities/cadaver lab
-really happy students
-extremely service oriented
-opportunity to rotate at Phoenix campus

Creighton Cons:
-tuition is about double FSU's
-far from home
-people from my area of the US do not recognize the name
-residency matches mostly in the midwest, but perhaps this is because that's where most of the students are from originally?

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated! Are there other things I should consider? I keep going back and forth between the two.
 
Price + proximity to your support system would be the factors I'd prioritize. FSU's anatomy lab seems to be well ran as well. I heard they're going to up the amount of research they do, but that's TBD. I'd choose FSU!