Creighton vs University of North Dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kbmb123

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is on you, but know that a decision shouldn't be made SOLELY on COA. Start with a pros and cons list and go from there

Reactions: 1 user
Currently deciding between two schools. One with a COA in the mid 90k region that is a mid tier private school, the other with a COA in the mid 60K region that is a low tier state school. I feel like the more expensive option would be a better fit overall but the sticker shock and additional 120k is really weighing on my mind. How much should the financials influence my decision?
Need more details than this to provide an individualized answer. In general, for most people, COA should be in the top 3 deciding factors, but so should school reputation. If you’re comparing a school like Suny Upstate to a school like Emory, that 120k is worth it. A school like Penn State to UMiami? probably not worth 120k. Additionally, we have to look at total COA. It’s tough to make a case for paying 400k for almost any school outside of the T20 imo, however.

I’d name the schools so you can get more evidence based advice here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Still on the wait list at my top choice. In the event I don’t get off need to decide between these two. I have been pretty set on Creighton over UND but now I am having second thoughts. Not set on any specialty but fairly certain I do not want to go into primary care.

Creighton
Pros:
-less brutal winters
-more name recognition (I think at least?) which I think may be important as step 1 goes p/f
Cons:
- 20k more expensive

UND
Pros:
-cheaper
-possibly better research options as a state school, but I haven’t heard a ton about great research from either school

Cons:
-more emphasis on family med
-brutal winters