Creighton vs UW Madison vs Thomas Jefferson vs Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthosurg1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do both schools have home programs for residencies you are interested in ? The cost seems like an unimportant thing right now, and honestly the residencies you are aiming for dont really factor into ranking. Seems like you really like Creighton, so I am kind of hard pressed to say go for the other one. That being said, there is no reason why you couldnt leverage the rural program into a surgical or EM residency.

As someone who has a lot in common (rural interest, from WI, some similar schools to choose from), maybe I can offer a few helpful thoughts.

I'll start with the more obvious which is if you get the chance to go to Mayo, take it. Also barring a large scholarship from TJU, it doesn't sound like there is any reason to take that acceptance (far from home in a big city with a big price tag).

So as far as UW vs Creighton, I don't know much about Creighton other than it is quite pricey for a city where the cost of living is pretty reasonable. I know someone who turned down their Creighton acceptance primarily based on price but since you have a scholarship, this might be much less of a deciding factor. For UW, I can really agree with your pros. The low cost is really attractive, I got a really good impression from the school, and being close to home is a big plus. I also thought their new curriculum seemed odd and likely subject to some kinks, but maybe that's just my bias since I would prefer a very traditional curriculum over the new PBLs, TBLs, and CBLs. And then there's the WARM program you're in. They say you don't have to go into primary care or stay in WI for residency for the program but I couldn't help but feel that there wouldn't be the coercion to do these things which made me opt against applying to that program. That said, I don't think the rural rotations would really hurt you unless you want some super competitive residency and you might get some really unique experiences in the rural setting. At this point, I'd think you really have to like Creighton to chose it over UW but that sounds like it might be the case with how much you like Omaha and Creighton.

Also, I'll say this for disclosure purposes. I am on the WL at UW currently BUT since you're in the rural program and I am not, the separate waitlists mean I couldn't get your spot if you chose another school.

Reactions: 1 user
It all depends on where you want to end up in the long run. Going to UW - Madison won't nescessarily deter you from matching EM and that scholarship sounds really nice. Mayo Scottsdale and Jefferson are both great schools with more prestige. But Creighton is also a great school and as someone who was also accepted there this cycle, I completely agree with all that you said about it.

My opinion is go for UW given that great scholarship, unless you really want a larger city experience then go for mayo.

Also leaning towards Creighton right now, but I would choose an in state school with lower tuition in a heartbeat. Unfortunately the state schools where I'm from are ridiculously competitive. The Creighton tuition is already keeping me up at night haha

Reactions: 1 users
It all depends on where you want to end up in the long run. Going to UW - Madison won't nescessarily deter you from matching EM and that scholarship sounds really nice. Mayo Scottsdale and Jefferson are both great schools with more prestige. But Creighton is also a great school and as someone who was also accepted there this cycle, I completely agree with all that you said about it.

My opinion is go for UW given that great scholarship, unless you really want a larger city experience then go for mayo.

Jefferson more prestigious than Wisco?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi y'all!

I was wondering if I could get some input to help with this decision. I've been lucky enough to receive a few acceptances and waitlists, and am struggling with which school to choose.

Creighton (accepted)
  • Currently leaning towards this school
  • Pros
    • Fantastic vibe from the students and my host student when I visited
    • Loved Omaha. I'm more a rural person than a big city person, so I like that it's not too overwhelming
    • Relatively close to home (able to drive home for a weekend if needbe)
    • I like the traditional curriculum, with some small group formats but not overwhelmingly PBL
    • Partial scholarship, but only guaranteed for the first year
  • Cons
    • Expensive, even with the partial scholarship
    • Research opportunities? I'm not really into research much, but I would like to do some throughout medical school
    • Interested in EM, so maybe a larger city would be better?
    • Not as highly ranked
UW-Madison (accepted)
  • Pros
    • Instate tuition + scholarship guaranteed for 4 years makes it my cheapest option
    • Closest option to home, able to drive home within a weekend
    • Really jived well with my interviewer, students seem happy
  • Cons
    • I applied for their rural medicine program. I am from a rural background and interested in rural med but not necessarily primary care. I am concerned that doing all rotations in smaller communities could potentially harm me for residency applications, especially if I end up doing EM or gen surg.
    • New curriculum that started this year. 1.5 year preclinicals, but it does not seem to be intuitively laid out to me (i.e. not systems based). Granted, I have not experienced it and have just read about it, but I haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback from current students on it.
Thomas Jefferson University (decision pending)
  • Pros
    • I'm not a city person but Philly and the area around the school seemed great.
    • Everyone I encountered was super nice
    • New curriculum seems great and really well thought out.
    • Lots of great affiliated hospitals
  • Cons
    • Really far away from home
    • Expensive with no financial aid information yet
    • Tend to match students mostly to the NE, and I would like to return to the Midwest
Mayo (waitlisted)
  • Waitlisted at the AZ campus
  • Pros
    • It's Mayo
    • Love love love their curriculum with selectives
    • Amazing clinical experiences
    • New campus is both a pro and a con
  • Cons
    • Far away
    • Pheonix has a high cost of living
    • Too dang hot in the summers

Thanks for bearing with me!

TL;DR Right now, Creighton (better feel) vs UW Madison (cheaper, rural med program)

Have you asked Creighton about matching Wisconsin's scholarship offer? They're somewhat comparable ranking wise so it would be reasonable to at least ask and see what they can do

Have you asked Creighton about matching Wisconsin's scholarship offer? They're somewhat comparable ranking wise so it would be reasonable to at least ask and see what they can do

Thanks for the suggestion! The scholarships are actually already equal in amount, Wisconsin's tuition is just much cheaper at baseline because of in-state residency.

If you get off the waitlist (hopefully you will! tip: send update letters) then Mayo. If not then I personally would choose UW Madison. I know a couple students there who are really happy. I also actually met an EM resident who went there and loved it. They have a TON of research opportunities (and NIH $$$ which I've heard dates back to them discovering Warfarin/Coumadin). Also from what I've heard their students match well. I don't think if you do the rural med program it will keep you from matching into EM or surgery if you so choose.

Hi y'all!

I was wondering if I could get some input to help with this decision. I've been lucky enough to receive a few acceptances and waitlists, and am struggling with which school to choose.

Creighton (accepted)
  • Currently leaning towards this school
  • Pros
    • Fantastic vibe from the students and my host student when I visited
    • Loved Omaha. I'm more a rural person than a big city person, so I like that it's not too overwhelming
    • Relatively close to home (able to drive home for a weekend if needbe)
    • I like the traditional curriculum, with some small group formats but not overwhelmingly PBL
    • Partial scholarship, but only guaranteed for the first year
  • Cons
    • Expensive, even with the partial scholarship
    • Research opportunities? I'm not really into research much, but I would like to do some throughout medical school
    • Interested in EM, so maybe a larger city would be better?
    • Not as highly ranked
UW-Madison (accepted)
  • Pros
    • Instate tuition + scholarship guaranteed for 4 years makes it my cheapest option
    • Closest option to home, able to drive home within a weekend
    • Really jived well with my interviewer, students seem happy
  • Cons
    • I applied for their rural medicine program. I am from a rural background and interested in rural med but not necessarily primary care. I am concerned that doing all rotations in smaller communities could potentially harm me for residency applications, especially if I end up doing EM or gen surg.
    • New curriculum that started this year. 1.5 year preclinicals, but it does not seem to be intuitively laid out to me (i.e. not systems based). Granted, I have not experienced it and have just read about it, but I haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback from current students on it.
Thomas Jefferson University (decision pending)
  • Pros
    • I'm not a city person but Philly and the area around the school seemed great.
    • Everyone I encountered was super nice
    • New curriculum seems great and really well thought out.
    • Lots of great affiliated hospitals
  • Cons
    • Really far away from home
    • Expensive with no financial aid information yet
    • Tend to match students mostly to the NE, and I would like to return to the Midwest
Mayo (waitlisted)
  • Waitlisted at the AZ campus
  • Pros
    • It's Mayo
    • Love love love their curriculum with selectives
    • Amazing clinical experiences
    • New campus is both a pro and a con
  • Cons
    • Far away
    • Pheonix has a high cost of living
    • Too dang hot in the summers

Thanks for bearing with me!

TL;DR Right now, Creighton (better feel) vs UW Madison (cheaper, rural med program)
Mayo or U WI

Hello everyone!

I know it's been awhile, but I just wanted to update you all that I ended up choosing UW Madison after I attended second-look weekend. I really appreciate all of your input and I'm really looking forward to starting :)

Reactions: 2 users