saycheese

Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
90
0
Status
Pre-Dental
woah. i just got accepted into creighton! Curious... they don't interview? ...(not that i'm complaining :p )
 

Yokohoma84

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2005
23
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Nope, no interview needed. They understand how much it costs students to go to those things, so they just accept without. Congratulations on your acceptance.
 

utahdent123

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
377
0
Status
saycheese said:
woah. i just got accepted into creighton! Curious... they don't interview? ...(not that i'm complaining :p )
Congratulations!

How were you notified of your acceptance...letter, email, AADSAS, etc? Thanks
 
About the Ads

Beestieboy

Keep on keepin' on
10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2005
195
0
42
Omaha NE
Status
Dental Student
Just talked to them and looks like I didn't make the first wave for the RDEP. Gonna have to wait until mid Jan. for another shot.
 

SirShagaLot

Move Maker Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
582
0
Prison
Status
Pre-Dental
I didn't hear from them either, screwed again i guess.
 

saycheese

Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
90
0
Status
Pre-Dental
utahdent123 said:
Congratulations!

How were you notified of your acceptance...letter, email, AADSAS, etc? Thanks
They sent me an email stating that I was accepted and to expect a package to arrive in about a week.
 

berryfremont

Georgia
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
224
0
Status
saycheese said:
They sent me an email stating that I was accepted and to expect a package to arrive in about a week.
what were your stats...the people that got accepted
???
 

SirShagaLot

Move Maker Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
582
0
Prison
Status
Pre-Dental
anyone know how many acceptance waves Creighton does and approx. how many acceptances are sent out per wave.

a shot in "the darkness" :cool:
 

bpenly

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
218
5
Omaha, NE
Status
berryfremont said:
what were your stats...the people that got accepted
???
Overall 3.58, Science 3.67 (though a 3.95 for 50 hours of post-bac work)

DAT = 22 AA/22TS/18PAT but I did have a 30 in Bio which I think was my ticket in as I have seen others with far better stats. In addition, I live in Omaha.
 

Hoosier Daddy

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
33
0
Status
Dental Student
I am from Ft. Wayne, IN and got a welcome e-mail from Creighton this morning. I guess I will have to go visit Nebraska now to see the school. Congrats to all of you who were also accepted.
 

ElMudo

ElMudo
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
57
0
Status
Pre-Dental
I called this morning to my dismay, they still have yet to make a decision regarding my application. I think it would be a great school to attend, they have a great clinical program!
 

dentalguy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
224
0
Status
Pre-Dental
I received an email this morning stating congratualtions and that i should receive a letter in the mail within a reasonable amount of time (1 week)

anyone know how many acceptances were given out today? I have a buddy trying to get in and want to tell him how many seats are left for the next notification at creighton.

This feels so good!!! I applied to 15 schools last year and was waitlisted at 2, rejected at 13. This year I have an upcoming interview and an acceptance already.....I am so pumped.....I have heard great things about Creighton and am really excited about my acceptance....anyone else from ohio that got accepted to creighton?
 
About the Ads

adr12

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
147
0
NC
Status
Dental Student
berryfremont said:
what were your stats...the people that got accepted
???
I got an acceptance this morning as well! I'm a non-traditional applicant, but here are my stats. Congrats and good luck everyone!
Overall GPA: 3.01
Science: 2.90
BCP: 3.33
DAT: 22/22/19
 

TheBigO

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
14
0
Status
Any of you planning to attend Creighton for sure? I know it's early in the game, but I was just curious if there are any people who have Creighton as their first choice and also received the acceptance email this morning (I did get one myself...yessssssss)
 

Hoosier Daddy

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2005
33
0
Status
Dental Student
I am going to have to make a trip out to Nebraska to see Creighton before I make my decision. I was also accepted at IU. Now I have to decide whether I want to go to IU because it is much cheaper (in state) or Creighton because of the better clinical experience. My only other connection to Creighton is that my best friend is in their med. school. Does anybody have any points they would like to bring up about which school you think would be better in the overall picture? I know IU also has a good reputation but does seem behind the times as far as their building is concerned.
 

rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
427
2
The great state of a epiphany
Status
Dental Student
I only recieved this thick but small envelope from Creighton that just has thier info in a brochure. I did apply pretty late, I submitted my supplemental app with the $45 just early this week. I hope that this late in the process my stats will help get me in!!!


good luck all and congrats!!!
 

Late Night

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
38
0
Status
rambo2006 said:
I only recieved this thick but small envelope from Creighton that just has thier info in a brochure. I did apply pretty late, I submitted my supplemental app with the $45 just early this week. I hope that this late in the process my stats will help get me in!!!


good luck all and congrats!!!
I am sending out my supplemental to creighton as well tom morning. Hey did you by anychance write more than a few sentences for those two questions ?

I am debating if I should be writing long essays or not. I am thinking 1 paragraph is good enough ?
 

berryfremont

Georgia
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
224
0
Status
looks like this was their above 20 academic-science DAT score wave of acceptances...my stats are almost identical to yours saycheese, but with a 19 on science portion....good luck to you guys...i have heard good things about the school in general
 

Omahahahaha

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2003
287
0
Visit site
Status
Dentist
For you guys who were wondering how many acceptances Creighton sends out.....

A prof on the admissions committee told me last year that they send out enough to fill the class plus a few more (since obviously some will choose to go elsewhere) in the first wave. Our class size is 85 students. In mid Jan they will send out more, and so on until the class is filled.

Congrats to all of you who got in! I think you'll like it here.
 

bpenly

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
218
5
Omaha, NE
Status
So here is a lame question, but an important one. What is the parking situation at Creighton. Dr. Ayers told me that it improved from last year, but that it still pretty much sucked. What does this mean for parking time (i.e. to find a spot once at the school) and walking time to your car?

Other questions include:

1) Can you cover all the expenses with Federal (subsidized and unsubidized Stafford loans) or do you need private loans too?

2) What is the class schedule like? Do you get time off between some classes or is it 8-5, M-F?

3) Any major gripes?

4) Any new selling points (besides the well know clinical experience)?

I didn't get a good feel for Creighton during my visit because it was so short. I would really like to get a feel for the actual experience now that I have a choice to make.

Thanks.
 

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2002
1,703
5
40
The eye of the storm
Visit site
Status
mochafreak said:
I'm non-trad as well...my stats are at the bottom. However, one thing I've learned from this process is it's NOT all about the stats.
Thats for sure!
 

SirShagaLot

Move Maker Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
582
0
Prison
Status
Pre-Dental
bpenly said:
So here is a lame question, but an important one. What is the parking situation at Creighton. Dr. Ayers told me that it improved from last year, but that it still pretty much sucked. What does this mean for parking time (i.e. to find a spot once at the school) and walking time to your car?

Other questions include:

1) Can you cover all the expenses with Federal (subsidized and unsubidized Stafford loans) or do you need private loans too?

2) What is the class schedule like? Do you get time off between some classes or is it 8-5, M-F?

3) Any major gripes?

4) Any new selling points (besides the well know clinical experience)?

I didn't get a good feel for Creighton during my visit because it was so short. I would really like to get a feel for the actual experience now that I have a choice to make.

Thanks.
Hey bpenly, congrats on your acceptance. I have an interview at Creighton today, any advise for me?

"I like your sleeves" N.D.
 

bpenly

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
218
5
Omaha, NE
Status
SirShagaLot said:
Hey bpenly, congrats on your acceptance. I have an interview at Creighton today, any advise for me?

"I like your sleeves" N.D.
My advice is to expect a real interview. I was asked to list weaknesses, describe undergraduate leadership activities, etc. Dr. Ayers was a nice guy, but he also means business.

Here are the questions I brought, though I did not ask them all.

Interview Questions

Faculty

1. I have read your 29 competencies in the University Bulletin. These competencies appear to prepare students for solid GP work. Using the average graduate as a model, what is the upper limit of clinical procedures that are feasible without additional post-graduate work or GP residency (i.e. endodontics - molar, tortured canals, etc), periodontics (soft tissue grafts, etc.), oral surgery (implants)?

2. I read a report from 2001 commissioned by Nebraska Dental Work Force Commission in which you helped with preparation. It was indicated that a problem area for the State of Nebraska is the retention of graduates and furthermore, graduates that are willing to work in underserved areas of the state. Could you explain more about ways the school works with graduates to ensure that they can serve such communities while also being able to pay back the debt that is accumulated? Has this program been working?

3. Do you encourage students to enter a GPR if they do not wish to specialize?

4. Research is a part of your faculty requirements. How do you envision graduates of your program using their research experience upon graduation?

5. Please indicate the hours that class is held for each semester. Do students get a "study afternoon" or is the schedule 8-5, M-F?

6. Patient Resource Policy. It appears that Creighton has access to a large number of patients (66,000). Your policy states that "it is the responsibility of each student to make sure that he/she has a sufficient patient population pool to perform the patient care experences necessary to meet the applicable performance standards.

7. What are the requirements to attain competency.

8. It is well rumored that Creighton students obtain more clinical "hands-on" time than other programs due to lack of post-graduate work. Do you believe this makes Creighton graduates not only competent, but closer to proficient (compare to the 29 competencies)?

9. Do students really get a chance to perform advanced procedures (i.e. implants)? Would you say that students are competent to attempt these cases in private practice without specializing?

10. Books vs. DVD laptops. Do they expect to initiate this during the next four years?

11. Parking - Location, cost, availability. -- Crappy question. Ask a student.

12. To what degree are faculty members available for students and their questions?

13. In what ways does the school promote a sense of community?

14. Ask about Dr. Ayers history as a dentist.
- Why did he become a dentist
- W hy pediatric dentistry
- His recommendations going forward.

15. Ask about Institute for Latin American Concern (ILAC) and Dental trips to Dominican Republic.

16. Ankyloglossia (tongue tied) and linguistics - Dr. Ayers Research Interests.

17.Field Experience Requirement - Indian Health Clinic or DR

18. When are acceptances mailed out?

Students

1. Parking

2. Clinical experience

3. Why did they choose Creighton?

4. Study hours/classroom time.

5. Loan issues


I hope this helps a little.
 

adr12

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
147
0
NC
Status
Dental Student
mochafreak said:
I'm non-trad as well...my stats are at the bottom. However, one thing I've learned from this process is it's NOT all about the stats.
Agreed, I think where you went to school and what you majored in is factored into GPA, as it should be. And there is a lot more to that AADSAS app than just GPA and DAT scores, in my case I think the "other stuff" helped out.
 

ldybug579

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
23
0
Phoenix, AZ
Status
Pre-Dental
Bungipug said:
I thought creighton didn't interview??????????????
they don't interview, but you can call and set up one so they get to know you.
 

SirShagaLot

Move Maker Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
582
0
Prison
Status
Pre-Dental
bpenly said:
My advice is to expect a real interview. I was asked to list weaknesses, describe undergraduate leadership activities, etc. Dr. Ayers was a nice guy, but he also means business.

Here are the questions I brought, though I did not ask them all.

Interview Questions

Faculty

1. I have read your 29 competencies in the University Bulletin. These competencies appear to prepare students for solid GP work. Using the average graduate as a model, what is the upper limit of clinical procedures that are feasible without additional post-graduate work or GP residency (i.e. endodontics - molar, tortured canals, etc), periodontics (soft tissue grafts, etc.), oral surgery (implants)?

2. I read a report from 2001 commissioned by Nebraska Dental Work Force Commission in which you helped with preparation. It was indicated that a problem area for the State of Nebraska is the retention of graduates and furthermore, graduates that are willing to work in underserved areas of the state. Could you explain more about ways the school works with graduates to ensure that they can serve such communities while also being able to pay back the debt that is accumulated? Has this program been working?

3. Do you encourage students to enter a GPR if they do not wish to specialize?

4. Research is a part of your faculty requirements. How do you envision graduates of your program using their research experience upon graduation?

5. Please indicate the hours that class is held for each semester. Do students get a "study afternoon" or is the schedule 8-5, M-F?

6. Patient Resource Policy. It appears that Creighton has access to a large number of patients (66,000). Your policy states that "it is the responsibility of each student to make sure that he/she has a sufficient patient population pool to perform the patient care experences necessary to meet the applicable performance standards.

7. What are the requirements to attain competency.

8. It is well rumored that Creighton students obtain more clinical "hands-on" time than other programs due to lack of post-graduate work. Do you believe this makes Creighton graduates not only competent, but closer to proficient (compare to the 29 competencies)?

9. Do students really get a chance to perform advanced procedures (i.e. implants)? Would you say that students are competent to attempt these cases in private practice without specializing?

10. Books vs. DVD laptops. Do they expect to initiate this during the next four years?

11. Parking - Location, cost, availability. -- Crappy question. Ask a student.

12. To what degree are faculty members available for students and their questions?

13. In what ways does the school promote a sense of community?

14. Ask about Dr. Ayers history as a dentist.
- Why did he become a dentist
- W hy pediatric dentistry
- His recommendations going forward.

15. Ask about Institute for Latin American Concern (ILAC) and Dental trips to Dominican Republic.

16. Ankyloglossia (tongue tied) and linguistics - Dr. Ayers Research Interests.

17.Field Experience Requirement - Indian Health Clinic or DR

18. When are acceptances mailed out?

Students

1. Parking

2. Clinical experience

3. Why did they choose Creighton?

4. Study hours/classroom time.

5. Loan issues


I hope this helps a little.

hey thanks bpenly, i wasn't expecting such detail. It helped me out, although i didn't look at your post until about 5 min before i left. Regardless i was still able to remember some of it so i could come up with some good ?'s when they asked if i had any. Great facility, great school.. i hope things work out.

take it easy
 

rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
427
2
The great state of a epiphany
Status
Dental Student
Late Night said:
I am sending out my supplemental to creighton as well tom morning. Hey did you by anychance write more than a few sentences for those two questions ?

I am debating if I should be writing long essays or not. I am thinking 1 paragraph is good enough ?
I just wrote a few sentences in the space they gave. I thought about attaching a seperate sheet with a really polished answer, but then I thought that would make it more confusing and that a brief answer that is to the point is more convienant for me to write and them to read.

Let me know what you did, and have you had any interviews yet? What are ur stats, if u dont mind me asking?

thanks.
 
About the Ads