SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Creighton's web based PharmD program

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by chiko, May 9, 2007.

1. chiko

chiko 5+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Hello,
    I'am planning to apply to Creighton's web-based PharmD program for the fall 2008. Can anybody who has been accepted into the program give me some advice on how to improve my chances of getting into the program? I do have a bachelors degree, but from another country.....I also know that Creighton does not accept foreign coursework. But I do have an AA from a community college here. I have done some volunteer work in my country ...... but I haven't done any volunteer work here. My overall GPA is ok(3.91) and my science and Math GPA is good(4.0). I'am taking my PCAT in August(2007). Please let me know how I can improve my chances of getting accepted. Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chiko

chiko 5+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Hello........

4. MichaelJames

MichaelJames Pharmacy 4 Life 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2007
    Hi,

Since the PharmD online is something so new it is hard to give any advice about applying for the program. I would also think that an online program wouldn't be enough of a substitute for an on-campus program. If you are foreign, you may have to take the english as a second language test. Try to do well on the PCAT test too!;)

Good luck,
    Michael James

5. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hi - I was accepted into this program for class of 2010, but chose not to do it. I felt that they were looking for well-rounded applicants - your stats are very good so far, but they will want to know what else you have. Volunteer work is good - they are very service-oriented, so I would try to find something else along that line here. Also, is there any way you can get some experience in a pharmacy?? I thought my experience really helped me. And, you need to have good answers to the questions of why do you want to do Creighton's program, and why do you want to do pharmacy in particular for a career.

6. chiko

chiko 5+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. I'am planning to do some volunteer work and I have to take TOEFL. Once again.....Thanks for all your suggestion.

7. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

You're GPA is fine.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess that you will need a decent PCAT to compensate for the AA a little. Do you have all of your prereqs completed in the States yet?

I'm going to be at Creighton this fall for the campus-based program but I know some stuff about the online program. Like the previous posters have said, Creighton likes to look at well-rounded applicants even if the person isn't the greatest college student ever. The school is service-oriented and wants pharmacy experience from its applicants. Still, I got in without much true pharmacy experience but I was able to compensate with my position in a research laboratory and volunteer position at a hospital.

For the online program, the interview will consist of questions regarding why you want to go online and your dedication needed to successfully complete a distance education. Since you will take your labs during the summer, you have to account for your availability in the summer even though you are some distance away. Check out the Interview feedback section on SDN for more stuff from web-based applicants at Creighton.;)

8. drugdoc

drugdoc Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2006
    FYI to those who don't think that the online program holds up to any in-person program.....the NAPLEX scores for the on-line students was higher than the Creighton campus-based students last year. As well, the on-line students received twice as many job offers than the campus-based students on average. That is straight from the admissions counselor's mouth.

I'm attending the online next year and did a thorough check of how it compares to campus programs and have found that it actually exceeeded my already high expectations.

9. drugdoc

drugdoc Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Oh, and also...the online program isn't really all that new anymore. They are finishing up their sixth or seventh? year this year. More university online programs are in the works for upcoming years, as well, many other schools have contacted Creighton about the online program and how it works and may plan to create online programs. Straight from the dean :)

It's where programs are heading. Minnesota also has many of their courses available online. First-year students can take 1/2 of their classes at home and 1/2 on campus. Second and third years are similar.

Although I only know about Creighton and MN, I'd bet there are others out there who, with various campuses for one university, have something similar via internet like MN.

10. MichaelJames

MichaelJames Pharmacy 4 Life 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2007
    If you do get accepted, you have the satisfaction of knowing your attending one of the most highly respected schools of pharmacy in the country. Of course, this will be in a VIRTUAL sense won't it! :scared: Good Luck!:D

11. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

During my interview date, I got a chance to meet with distance candidates who lived in the Omaha metro area. Some of these people had families and one guy has a wife in med school. As a result, Creighton does try to encourage a little networking between the campus-based and web-based groups for those living in the Omaha area.

I expect to meet a few web-based students this year.:)

12. overhillpharmer

overhillpharmer 2+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I think a bachelor's degree is pretty important to them. I applied to the 'on campus' program with an associates degree, decent grades, all but one of their core prerequisites completed or in progress, and a 95 composite on the PCAT only to get shot down without an interview. I even thought I completed a decent supplemental application. Good Luck!

13. chiko

chiko 5+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Hello Omnione,
    I've done all my pre-requisites here in US. I still have a speech class to take......Congratulations on your acceptance into the program. I'll try to do some volunteer work in Summer.

Hello overhillpharmer,
    I too think that a Bachelor's degree is important to Creighton. I have a Bachelor degree in Physical therapy, but from another country. I think I'll mention about that in my personal statement......I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks a lot for all your reply. I really appreciate it. Thank you.:)